Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Dolphins Game

Tonight's preseason game is a dichotomy.  On the one hand, since this is our first look this year at the starters in game action, it has elements like a first preseason game of the year.  Like kids at Christmas, we got to see our new QB in our new offensive scheme.  We got to see our offensive line-at least one that bears some semblance to the one we'll see opening day.  We got to see the starting defense for the first time this year.  The new car smell that usually comes with the first preseason game was still there.    On the other hand, since it was week three, which is usually known as the dress rehearsal before opening day, and this was the first look at the starters, it was like a preseason week 3 on steroids.  There is interest in how the starters look against the other team's starters.  There is some game planning happening, to say nothing of the game three nail biting hoping no major injuries happen to any starters.  Anyway, here are my thoughts on the game.

1.  It was an uneven performance by the offense as a whole and the passing game in particular.  One of the fears I have always harbored about a WCO is the over dependence it can have on underneath passes.  That's how it looked tonight, as there was little to no attacking downfield.  There was an abundance of passes in the flat and short hook routes.  There was also a heavy reliance on Westbrook over the middle.  Perhaps this is reflective of Flip not wanting to tip his hand.  Perhaps it's reflective of a very real lack of viable of receiving threats.  But while the team should understandably be averse to turnovers, we'll need more offensive diversity, to say nothing of effectiveness to compete with KC week 1.

2.  Continuing on this, Foles was so so.  The first 2-3 drives were stunningly ineffective, resulting in 3 and outs.  The scoring drive was nice, and his TD pass to Westbrook checked a major box I had about the offense and Foles attacking the red zone.  But I don't understand what happened on the INT.  Yes, Foles was pressured, but it seems like he had enough room to get the receiver the ball away from the defender.  The receiver looked like he could have shielded the defender from the ball.  It is just preseason, and there were some things to like, but considering how little we've seen of the starters and how little the offense has scored this preseason, a sense of restlessness-bordering on alarm-from Jaguars fans will not be a surprise after this game.

3.  The top two players from the 2018 draft-DL Taven Bryan and WR D.J. Chark-have a lot to show.  Not only has Bryan done very little of note that's good this offseason, he had two (2) roughing the passer penalties.  IIRC, on the first one , he fell for a play fake, stopping mid rush to find the ball, resumed pursuing the passer, only to get a penalty.  This two plays demonstrated the lack of awareness scouts asserted Bryan has.  He needed a big game, and he got the opposite.  I expect him to make the team, but he has to be firmly on the bench.  I was high on Chark coming out, and was not overly concerned about his lack of production last year.  In training camp, he had some moments, including some nice end zone grabs.  But thus far in the preseason games, he has been, at best a non factor in the passing game.  While he excels in kick coverageHe certainly doesn't need to return kicks.   But we didn't spend a 2nd round pick on him to be a special teamer.  We need him to take the top off of defenses, and so far he's doing nothing of the sort.  Him getting hrt tonight didn't help, and hopefully he will be 100% on opening day, but he needs production.

4.  The right guard battle was interesting.  Based on him getting the start tonight, I'd say Richardson has the edge over Cann.  I don't think tonight's game changed anything.  Richardson wound up with two false start penalties, and by my count, Cann had one.  Aside from that, neither stood out to me in a bad way.  I think Richardson and Taylor looked pretty good on the right side and seemed to provide good protection for most of the time they were in there.  To me, most of the pressure came from the left side after Cam left the game.

5.  Man did the defense look good, even without much of an appearance from Yannick Ngakoue.  The secondary was providing good coverage most of the night, even though Ramsey got beat deep that one play (no catch).

6.  Didn't like the miss from Lambo.

7.  Rookie watch-
  • Josh Allen-WOW!  In the two other games, Allen has made some splash plays early against the run.  He also got a couple of pressures in those games, but it didn't seem like he was moving very fast.  Not so tonight.  I'm not sure if he's getting more comfortable in the scheme.  I don't know if he just matched up well against the Miami RT.  I don't know if the thought of playing on national television is a motivator.  I don't know if it's something else, or some combination of the above, but he was all over the place tonight.  He had at least two TFL tonight and by my count has at least 6 for the preseason.  But he showed burst on the pass rush...the same burst I saw while he was at Kentucky.  Now I can't really speak to the quality of Miami's RT, so I am trying to temper my enthusiasm.  But if tonight is an indicia of how this guy can play we're going to really enjoy watching this defense.
  • Jawaan Taylor-Did not start the game, but got his first playing time of the preseason.  He had a holding penalty, but he looked pretty good in pass protection, especially next to Richardson.
  • Josh Oliver-DNP
  • Quincy Williams-DNP
  • Ryquell Armstead-Played, but really didn't impress because he didn't get much room.  Had a 6-7 yard loss.  Still seems to struggle catching the ball.
  • Gardner Minshew-showed some decent stuff and mediocre stuff.
  • Dontavious Russell-I did not notice him
8.  I am still not sure what Pass Interference is.  On the play Marrone challenged, the defender had his hands all over Westbrook, only for no penalty flag to be called either before or after the review.

9.  Good to see Fournette get going.  I really like the trucking of the LB in the flat.  There should be more plays like that and the safety summoning run against the Steelers.

10.  Marrone was really bummed about the injury to Ogbuehi, and was lamenting the team was already down to its 3rd LT.

11.  Bottom line:  Put the starters in bubble wrap and don't let Allen play next week.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
Impressions From the Dolphins Game - by Bullseye - 08-23-2019, 12:27 AM
RE: Impressions From the Dolphins Game - by rfc17 - 08-23-2019, 08:46 AM
RE: Impressions From the Dolphins Game - by Mikey - 08-23-2019, 10:01 AM
RE: Impressions From the Dolphins Game - by PF* - 08-23-2019, 12:30 PM
RE: Impressions From the Dolphins Game - by Mikey - 08-23-2019, 04:10 PM