Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cognitive dissonance and Expectations

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019, 07:58 PM by Bullseye. Edit Reason: Voice did not capture suffix and proofreading is fundamental )

Gus Bradley was fired- and justifiably so -after an unprecedented level of futility for the Jaguars. However,  the  bottom-line results are only part of the issue. If it were announced prior to his hiring that the Jaguars would be forced to stock their roster by randomly selecting people from the phone book I don't think any knowledgeable football fans would have expected Gus Bradley to produce anything other than the results that he produced. However Bradley was not saddled with such a burden. My question to you is given the talent that worth that was on his roster what were his expectations? How did his bottom-line results measure up to your expectations for the team especially by 2016?  Is it fair to say that your expectations for the team exceeded Bradley's results that year?  Why is that?

What were your expectations going into last year? Keep in mind the team had just come off an appearance in AFC championship game the year before. did you expect at least a playoff appearance in 2018? Why? When the Jaguars finished the season with a 5 and 11 record how did you feel afterwards? Were you disappointed? Why?

What were your expectations going into this year? Now we were blown out by Kansas City and undoubtedly all of us were disgusted at the result. W  Did you expect a better performance out of the Jaguars against Kansas City? Why?

People have lamented the team not retaining the services of Allen Robinson, even though there's indicia he didn't want to stay.  Along those lines, fans have been overwhelmingly in favor of re-signing Yannick Ngakoue, Jalen Ramsey and Myles Jack.  At the risk of redundancy, I have to ask why the reaction has been this way.

Fans were stoked after the first two rounds of this year's draft when we landed Josh Allen and Jawaan Taylor.  Furthermore, after initial apprehension, fans became more excited over the Q. Williams pick when camp reports first came out and Marrone gushed over his speed.  Yes, the why persists.

I pose these questions because many of you want Caldwell fired because of poor performance. but this poor performance is within the context of the talent that's on the roster. If you have high expectations for the talent that's on this roster, then how can you say Coldwell has done a poor job?  How can say that Caldwell has done a poor job stocking this team if, after he stocked the team, you've had high expectations for it? I believe those two principles are incompatible. Either he did a good job stocking the team and your expectations were realistic and something else happened to cause the team to not meet your realistically high expectations or he did a poor job stocking the team and your expectations were unrealistic despite the poor job.

Please straighten my dissonance here.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
Cognitive dissonance and Expectations - by Bullseye - 09-10-2019, 08:52 AM