Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Can Minshew's problems be fixed?

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2019, 12:22 PM by Firesky.)

(11-04-2019, 12:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: My thoughts on Minshew's issues from another thread earlier:

*I wouldn't try to totally break him of moving laterally out of the pocket because he's good at it, but he needs to be able to operate without doing that more consistently. I'd drill him on stepping up rather than out more, but the o-line plays a hand in this too. He's got to have a pocket to step into.

*His diligence to make reads on most of his snaps is great for a rookie, but it needs to be a beat or two quicker. Holding the ball over 3 seconds as often as he does is going to create protection issues for even very good o -linemen at times. A few too many forced into coverage as well - which just won't work with his velocity.

*There's still a marked difference between "poised 15" and "rattled 15" when it comes to his footwork.  That'll have to level out.

*Might need some help seeing throwing lanes in the middle of the field.  Height is a factor, but likely the playbook designed for Foles also is playing a hand in this issue too. Either way, needs improvement.

None of this stuff seems insurmountable to me.

I hope to see him again as a starter for the Jags with some of this stuff cleaned up.

To answer these:
*We need better Guards to create a pocket for him to step up into. Linder is great but it's clear he doesn't trust Cann/Norwell to not get whipped as he's moving in the pocket, I think that heavily contributes to him moving laterally rather than stepping up. Easily coachable especially if they improve the interior Oline. Also it's worth noting that he stepped up in the pocket way more earlier in the year, I think moving laterally was more learned bc it was working this year (and stepping up into interior pressure isn't an option) rather than being his preferred way to extend the play/avoid the rush.

*He needs to be QUICKER at going through reads, I love that he's always trying to hit the big play downfield, but with more experience he'll develop an internal clock that has him say "Long Ball not there, Intermediate is covered, ok Check it down" 

*Absolutely agree, his footwork is stellar but it unravels when he gets pressured on consecutive plays, again this is just a consistency issue that'll come with experience imho

*The Over route he threw a pick on looked like it was designed for Foles. Manipulating the throwing lanes is something he does well, but I think having an offense that's designed around his strengths and preferred throws will do wonders for him if he's "The Guy" going into next year.

All of his "issues" seem to be related to experience and just being a rookie adjusting to the NFL. I haven't seen any glaring deficiency that can't be coached around or would cap his celing. As I said in the pre-season ... I think Gardner is likely our future.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
Can Minshew's problems be fixed? - by JagFanFirst - 11-04-2019, 11:46 AM
RE: Can Minshew's problems be fixed? - by Kane - 11-04-2019, 12:03 PM
RE: Can Minshew's problems be fixed? - by Jags02 - 11-09-2019, 11:12 AM
RE: Can Minshew's problems be fixed? - by knarnn - 11-04-2019, 12:03 PM
RE: Can Minshew's problems be fixed? - by Kane - 11-04-2019, 12:08 PM
RE: Can Minshew's problems be fixed? - by Firesky - 11-08-2019, 12:21 PM
RE: Can Minshew's problems be fixed? - by D-Money - 11-04-2019, 12:43 PM
RE: Can Minshew's problems be fixed? - by RicoTx - 11-04-2019, 03:25 PM
RE: Can Minshew's problems be fixed? - by RicoTx - 11-04-2019, 04:07 PM
RE: Can Minshew's problems be fixed? - by knarnn - 11-04-2019, 04:32 PM
RE: Can Minshew's problems be fixed? - by Newton - 11-04-2019, 03:25 PM