Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monday Morning GM: How would you fix this team?

(12-03-2019, 02:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: As I watch this team get worse and worse, I've been thinking about the possible best plan of action going forward. Not everything can be fixed in one year, but I believe some things can. My main focus this off season would be fixing the run defense and the offensive line. Aside from firing the entire coaching staff and the front office, here is what I would do.

1. Go all in and sign DT Jordan Phillips of Buffalo. Phillips is a massive 6'6" 341 lbs. and is solid against the run and an accomplished pass rusher as well. He is currently playing 3 technique for the Bills, but certainly has the mass and natural ability to play NT as well, much like a younger version of Marcell Dareus. This does not mean I give up on trying to draft Derrick Brown. Brown is still my #1 target in the draft. Imagine this, we somehow manage to be in position to draft the best NT in the draft, Derrick Brown of Auburn. Phillips plays 3 technique and the 6'5" 320 lb. Brown plays NT. That gives us some serious beef in the middle of the D-Line. We need to find a way to get Brown any way we can. It might take trading up a few spots. Whether that means parting with a player, a future 2nd round pick or whatever, getting Brown is paramount to fixing the run defense. Phillips and Brown could be the new version of Stroud and Henderson.

2. Use our second pick in round 1 to select OT Trey Adams of Washington. Adams is everything I look for in a LT. He's athletic, has good feet, is a road grater and protects the QB very well. I select him and either move Robinson inside to LG or have him and Taylor compete for the RT job. I always though Robinson was a more natural RT, so having him compete with Taylor would not only upgrade the OT positions, but it would create much needed depth.  That should sure-up the OT positions for years to come.

3. In round 3. I continue building the O-Line, this time from the inside. I dangle Norwell and Cann as trade bait and take the hit with the dead money. See if we can move one of those guys. We need an upgrade on the inside. There are several OG's I would target in round 2 such as John Simpson of Clemson, Solomon Kindley of Georgia, Shane Lemieux of Oregon or Trey Smith of Tennessee. Have the new OG compete with Richardson, Norwell or Cann (who ever doesn't get moved) and see if the improved OT play doesn't make a big difference.

4. Round 3 is the area I address TE. This is not an especially good or deep TE class, but there are some players with potential. I just don't see much division between the top of the class and the middle. In this 3rd round area, so I target either Brycen Hopkins of Purdue or Harrison Bryant of FAU. Both have potential, but they need help from good QB play and a solid O-Line.

5. Rounds 4-7 I address obvious needs at linebacker. I take no less than two linebackers in this draft. One true MLB and one guy who shows the versatility to play inside or outside. Some players I am really like are Joe Bachie of Michigan State, Logan Wilson of Wyoming, Carter Coughlin of Minnesota,  Kamal Martin of Minnesota and Francis Bernard of Utah. I wanna get two of those guys somewhere in rounds 4-7. I know Bachie is currently serving a suspension for using a banned substance, but the kid is a fantastic player and sometimes you gotta take some risks. Putting these types of linebackers behind a re-vamped interior D-Line, should in theory, fix the run defense. With the rest of the picks, we could address a number of needs, such as depth at CB, S, RB, WR or we could take another O-Lineman for depth.

What are your thoughts?

Phillips would be a great pick-up, but I'm afraid he will stay with the Bills. He is one of their top defenders and they have the money to re-sign him. Derrick Brown would be my top choice, but if he's gone I'd take the best left tackle available. I believe that Tristan Wirfs will be the BAP at a position of need so he'd be my pick after Brown. With the 2nd 1st rounder, I'd probably go for Kinlaw from S. Carolina. He'd be my pick even if they managed to sign Phillps. 

The 2nd round pick would likely be an interior lineman. All the guys you mentioned are good candidates. Creed Humphrey and Tyler Biadasz will likely both be gone, but there are always players who drop more than they should so I'd hope one of these two falls to the Jaguars. Trey Smith has some real medical concerns with blood clots and I'd be afraid to take him in the 2nd round, especially the way our team is jinxed with draft picks. An offensive line of Wirfs, Linder (guard), Humphrey, Robinson/Norwell and Taylor would be a big upgrade. Will Richardson would provide solid depth along with the loser of the Norwell-Robinson competition at guard.As you said, both lines should take priority and I agree. 

As far as the rest of the draft, this team can't lose by picking the BAP with all remaining picks, with the exception of q.b. It will take 2 years minimum to re-build this team with definite needs at linebacker, safety (1), cornerback and tight end. Even though they seem at least average at running back and receiver, it certainly wouldn't be a mistake to add to one or both of these positions in the draft. A couple of guys I like are Hamler from Penn State (3rd round possibiity) and Cam Akers from FSU. Both these guys would make the team and Hamler could contribute immediately as a punt returner. He has Tyreek Hill- like explosiveness and would give them another option in case Westbrook gets hurt (unfortunately likely to happen due to his size). 

Overall, I like your strategy of prioritizing both lines since this is the key to winning in the NFL, along with a good quarterback.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Monday Morning GM: How would you fix this team? - by jaglou53 - 12-03-2019, 06:49 PM