Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monday Morning GM: How would you fix this team?

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 08:37 AM by Talented Kalamari.)

This one’s always fun. Let’s assume that you’re the GM of our Jaguars (You’re guaranteed the job for at least the next few years hypothetically) 

What do you do to fix this team? Spend big in free agency? Add some pieces in the draft? Blow it up and start all over? Clean house and bring in an entirely new staff?

Now’s your time to shine.. aaaand go!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No more spending big in free agency.  The better teams develop their own talent.

I really hesitate to clean house on the FO and coaching staff because, once again, the better teams have stability in the FO and coaching (other than maybe position coaches).  Having said that, I don't think you can dump only half of them.  If the FO goes, the coaching staff has to go and vice versa.

We've got some talent, but boy are we lacking overall.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-18-2019, 08:33 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: This one’s always fun. Let’s assume that you’re the GM of our Jaguars (You’re guaranteed the job for at least the next few years hypothetically) 

What do you do to fix this team? Spend big in free agency? Add some pieces in the draft? Blow it up and start all over? Clean house and bring in an entirely new staff?

Blow it up. When they get blown out in Tennessee next week, Khan should send the jet home empty.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

If this coaching staff let's the tacks dominate us ...after GMII and the same team beat them here..... like the clots and 'horns have done the last two games
IT'S over ..there is NO CHOICE.
The Jaguars are back sliding into oblivion.

blow up the whole shebang starting with every coach, remove under performing FA and the people that made these bad decisions. 
You guys know the list and who they are.

This is crucial to not destroy the upcoming decent draftees outlook.
Use the LA picks wisely, they may our last chance at becoming relevant again.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

What this team needs MOST is a drastic improvement in the following areas:

Both offensive guards.
Defensive tackles.
Middle Linebacker.
Tight End.

That's a lot. It's so much that it's not really possible to do in one offseason. So what I think has to be done is not a complete rebuild, but a pretty substantial one, and that involves shedding some older higher priced guys, and getting a new coaching staff. I'd also fire Caldwell and Coughlin, because they are the ones responsible.

If Foles plays the first half of the tacks game like he did yesterday, give him the Trubisky treatment. Minshew at least lights a fire in the team. Foles is milquetoast in both play and inspiration.

(11-18-2019, 09:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If Foles plays the first half of the tacks game like he did yesterday, give him the Trubisky treatment. Minshew at least lights a fire in the team. Foles is milquetoast in both play and inspiration.

He’s a poor man’s Eli Manning. He’s capable of catching fire with a strong supporting class in the playoffs. Outside of that, he’s mediocre.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(11-18-2019, 09:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If Foles plays the first half of the tacks game like he did yesterday, give him the Trubisky treatment. Minshew at least lights a fire in the team. Foles is milquetoast in both play and inspiration.

I think the Jaguar's FO got scammed with Foles.
Hanging their hat on him and his "abilities" behind this OL, no TE and spotty Defense was doomed from the start.
Jaguars ain't the eagles.....who btw came back from their own dumpster fire, while we've stayed there.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 09:37 AM by Talented Kalamari.)

(11-18-2019, 08:52 AM)Rico Wrote: No more spending big in free agency.  The better teams develop their own talent.

I really hesitate to clean house on the FO and coaching staff because, once again, the better teams have stability in the FO and coaching (other than maybe position coaches).  Having said that, I don't think you can dump only half of them.  If the FO goes, the coaching staff has to go and vice versa.

I agree with both things you said:

Definitely build through the draft..I do think FA serves a purpose but it’s more for supplementary acquisitions/depth

I understand that you can’t keep danglers if you want a new staff.. but I really believe that we need to keep Defilipo for Minshew’s development.. the majority of games that he played, he played very well in that system. Changing OC is only going to hurt him IMO..

(11-18-2019, 08:53 AM)FBT Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 08:33 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: This one’s always fun. Let’s assume that you’re the GM of our Jaguars (You’re guaranteed the job for at least the next few years hypothetically) 

Blow it up. When they get blown out in Tennessee next week, Khan should send the jet home empty.

Lol. Savage, but true.

(11-18-2019, 09:36 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 08:52 AM)Rico Wrote: No more spending big in free agency.  The better teams develop their own talent.

I agree with both things you said:

Definitely build through the draft..I do think FA serves a purpose but it’s more for supplementary acquisitions/depth

I understand that you can’t keep danglers if you want a new staff.. but I really believe that we need to keep Defilipo for Minshew’s development.. the majority of games that he played, he played very well in that system. Changing OC is only going to hurt him IMO..
I don't think changing offensive coordinators will hurt Minshew at all.  How many offensive coordinators has he has in the last 5 years?  Probably at least 5.  He's adaptable.  That's one of his strengths- the ability to learn new systems.

(11-18-2019, 09:36 AM)Mowerguy Wrote:

I think the Jaguar's FO got scammed with Foles.
Hanging their hat on him and his "abilities" behind this OL, no TE and spotty Defense was doomed from the start.
Jaguars ain't the eagles.....who btw came back from their own dumpster fire, while we've stayed there.
Duh. This was true the moment they signed him.

Force Mr. Bologna to play Minshew to see if we need to package some picks to get the QB we want next year....

...or, hopefully, he's as good as we hope he is and learns quickly and shows us he can only get better....

(11-18-2019, 09:49 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Force Mr. Bologna to play Minshew to see if we need to package some picks to get the QB we want next year....

...or, hopefully, he's as good as we hope he is and learns quickly and shows us he can only get better....

I really don't think QB is necessarily our biggest problem.  Our bigger problem is, we need much better DTs, OGs, TE, and a MLB.  The physical core of our team is weak.  Can't block for the run, and can't stop the run.  And of course, no TE.  

QB is way down the list for me.

I hear what you guys are saying as far as not spending on Free agency and grow talent but look what happens when we do have good talent. Allen Robinson, Fowler and Jalen Ramsey, even Allen Hurns and Aaron Colvin, can count Telvin Smith as well. The only issue we have here is the front office, there needs to be a change to someone who knows when to keep players and stay consistent rather than build them up and let them go. If we kept the majority of our talent it wouldn't hurt to take a chance or 2 on free agents.

We have successfully built 2 runs in 25 years of existence. We have a wishy washy franchise that doesn't do very much well. I thought the "headcases" were a big part of the problem but really it is the team from Front Office to Coaches. We have spot talent but no real direction.

You have to put in a vision and draft accordingly. We built a good defense when rules favor offense and then proceeded to blow chunks on offense for running on a decade.

Why would you draft Fournette if your oline is suspect? Oh the got Norwell and that would fix it. This is supposedly a power running team? Where? Fournette got embarrassed by a CB with open field everywhere.

This team needs a realistic vision where they build with a real plan and then get there guys. None of the small school character nonsense. None of the scattershot piecemeal over paying for Free Agent stop gaps.

They have to get a staff that can develop players and not handcuff talented players with poor schemes and plans.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(11-18-2019, 09:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 09:49 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Force Mr. Bologna to play Minshew to see if we need to package some picks to get the QB we want next year....

I really don't think QB is necessarily our biggest problem.  Our bigger problem is, we need much better DTs, OGs, TE, and a MLB.  The physical core of our team is weak.  Can't block for the run, and can't stop the run.  And of course, no TE.  

QB is way down the list for me.

It's not the biggest problem...

but if there's literally no difference in play recognition from Foles to Minshew.... and Minshew is more physically gifted... and young... you gotta play him to see if QB needs to be addressed or if you have the future.

Hard not to spend in FA when you draft as bad as Dave has, and Gene before him. Dave didn't inherit anyone worth extending, and then he drafted precious few players worth extending on top of that.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 10:05 AM by IndyJagsFan.)

(11-18-2019, 08:53 AM)FBT Wrote: Blow it up. When they get blown out in Tennessee next week, Khan should send the jet home empty.

I agree with FBT. We will get jackslapped in Nashville and that would be time to clean house and start anew with a fresh crew. And this means walking Foles right to the bench where he will prove he belongs too.

Here was PFFs Refocused blurbs on our side:

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
It wasn't the return that Jaguars fans would've hoped for Nick Foles. He had moments, but for big stretches in this game, he struggled to put many good throws together. Foles had multiple turnover-worthy plays and didn't make up for it with any big-time throws.

Foles struggled for sure, but he didn't get much help from his offensive line. Too often, Foles was forced to abandon his reads downfield and try to escape pressure in the pocket because the blocking failed him. His left tackle Cam Robinson really struggled and was benched late in the game because of it.

No defender on the Jags was as disruptive as Yannick Ngakoue. He had a couple of hits and hurries, but his biggest play came on a huge strip-sack when he blew by the left tackle and knocked the ball out before the quarterback could throw it. Unfortunately, his teammates could not recover it.

This was a rough game for linebacker Myles Jack. He often looked lost in the run game, jumping in wrong directions or leaving his gap for seemingly no reason. He also had issues keeping up with the tight ends and running backs he had to cover, giving up multiple catches for first downs.

(11-18-2019, 10:07 AM)Upper Wrote: Here was PFFs Refocused blurbs on our side:

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
It wasn't the return that Jaguars fans would've hoped for Nick Foles. He had moments, but for big stretches in this game, he struggled to put many good throws together. Foles had multiple turnover-worthy plays and didn't make up for it with any big-time throws.

Foles struggled for sure, but he didn't get much help from his offensive line. Too often, Foles was forced to abandon his reads downfield and try to escape pressure in the pocket because the blocking failed him. His left tackle Cam Robinson really struggled and was benched late in the game because of it.

No defender on the Jags was as disruptive as Yannick Ngakoue. He had a couple of hits and hurries, but his biggest play came on a huge strip-sack when he blew by the left tackle and knocked the ball out before the quarterback could throw it. Unfortunately, his teammates could not recover it.

This was a rough game for linebacker Myles Jack. He often looked lost in the run game, jumping in wrong directions or leaving his gap for seemingly no reason. He also had issues keeping up with the tight ends and running backs he had to cover, giving up multiple catches for first downs.

Accurate summary.