Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The jags should have known what they were getting in Foles and never paid him.

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2019, 11:49 PM by TheeKB.)

(11-25-2019, 09:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Foles has disappointed greatly in two games. I'm not rushing to conclusions on him yet, but it's not looking good.
I'm just infinitely more concerned about fixing the defense and O-Line right now.

With a (hopefully) competent staff next year and Foles/Minshew under contract I'm not tripping about the QB spot.

And, as mentioned, all this stuff about Foles numbers and tendencies was thoroughly hashed out in the offseason here.
We knew the numbers, and we saw he was still able to win games with them. There's more going on with Foles right now than just short passes and "failed completions."

Thank you sir. Good to see some level headedness up in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(11-25-2019, 09:15 AM)rfc17 Wrote: We talked about this article back in the offseason. I think it's an interesting statistic but it needs to be married to more data. For starters it looks like it weights the downs equally but throwing short on 3rd down is far more significant of a "failed completion" than checking down on first down to get you to a 2nd and a 6 which also counts as a "failed completion". Second, just looking a the rankings for 2018 and 2017, any statistic that continually has Blake Bortles ahead of Drew Brees and consistently has Jameis WInston at the very top needs to be understood for what it is. It's a stat that identifies which players are more likely to throw down the field when successful while discounting any negative plays. If you threw a hail mary on every play, you'd be at the top of this ranking. Looking at Foles, in 2018 he had the 2nd highest comp% at 72%. How much of that comp% was due to him checking the ball down instead of forcing a throw down the field? And would you rather be at 2nd and 10 (or possibly an INT) or 2nd and 6? For every 7 completions last year, if he had instead thrown one of those balls as an incompletion(presumably down the field but for this stat it doesnt matter), his comp% would have matched Aaron Rodgers and he would have skyrocketed up this ranking. But I'm not sure that would be considered a success.

Now the fact that he seems to check down more than anyone else is a cause for concern. And we all talked about how he doesnt have the playmakers here at Jacksonville that he did in Philly who can bail him out on jump balls. But I wouldn't write anyone off because of this stat alone. Besides, as stated above, he wasn't brought here to be the next Drew Brees. He was brought here because the team thought they were close enough to be playoff contenders if they replaced Bortles with a guy who had played well enough to win a Super Bowl MVP. If they knew the defense would collapse, I wonder if they would have made the same moves.

Great Great points man! I don’t expect any of these pro’s in here will agree but it sure made me throw up a high fiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
The jags should have known what they were getting in Foles and never paid him. - by TheeKB - 11-26-2019, 11:46 PM