Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This Week in the AFC South-Week 2

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2020, 08:02 AM by Bullseye.)

One week in, so far so good as the Good guys Jacksonville Jaguars are currently tied for first atop the division, with their surprising to most win over the Colts, in a game where Gardner Minshew completed 19-201 for 3 TDs and no INTs-the textbook definition of efficiency.  The Texans began the season with the daunting task of opening the season in KC.  It did not go well, as the Texans lost 34-20 to the defending champs.  Finally, benefitting from  what was quite possibly the worst example of clock mismanagement I’ve seen, Tennessee pulled out a tough win over Denver on Monday night over Denver.  Prediction wise, last year I got off to a horrendous start, and it took me until half the season to finally get my head above water.  So fat, while I am thrilled to have been wrong about the Jaguars Colts game last week, I am irritiated to be right about Tennessee, given the circumstances of how the game ended.  Hopefully, I will continue my walk with prognostication respectability, but for the, the struggle will be still processing the unknown while guarding against overreacting.

Now for the picks:
Jaguars (1-0) at Tennessee (1-0)-The good guys go into Trashville and face the evil and villainous tacks.  Nissan stadium has become a house of horrors for the Jaguars over the years, and the team has suffered some if its most demoralizing losses there.  RB Derrick has played a major role in that misery over the past 2-3 seasons,   Can Henry be slowed this week?  Vrabel has done a good job getting his team to be more physical against the Jaguars defense. And though the Jaguars won last week, I don’t see them being up to the task of slowing down the Tack running game.  I also wonder how CJ Henderson, who came up with an outstanding first performance against the Colts, will manage against bigger, more physical receivers in AJ Brown and Corey Davus.  The Colts were thought to be an improved defense, but Minshew and the Jaguars offense were effective against the Colts.   I think they are up against a team with a better defensive pedigree in Tennessee.  While initial result show the addition of  Clowney was good, believe it or not, I think the Jaguars’ T play is better than what Denver had to offer.  Adoree Jackson will miss the game.  If Minshew can get time, the good young group of Jaguars receivers may be able to exploit it.    Titans win 23-17.

Minnesota (0-1) at Indianapolis (0-1)
In what appears to be an interesting game on paper, the Vikings travel to Indy to face the Colts.  The lingering question to me is if the Colts are overrated?  I look at their roster, built from shrewd trades down, and I see a lot of good players.  But what to make of Phillip Rivers?  He seems like his resume will get him some talk of Hall of Fame consideration.  But in recent years at least, I heard a lot of talk about his propensity of throwing key INTs.  Because I don’t watch Rivers too much, I wondered where that talk came from.  I saw that last week.    It seemed like there wasn’t much zip on his passes.  On his INTs, he didn’t seem to step into his throws, although I saw no pressure on those plays.  How much of that is poor fundamentals (a ridiculous thought considering his status as a coaches’ son and his tenure in the league) , how much of this is age, and how much is receiver fault?  If it’s age, the Colts could be in trouble.  As for Minnesota, last week we saw the results of a lot of departures on defense going up against Canton bound Aaron Rodgers.  The Colts had some difficulty stopping rookie UDFA James Robinson behind the Jaguars’ OL.  I believe they will have more issues stopping Vikings RB Dalvin Cook, who just earned a contract extension from the Vikings.  I do not think the loss of Mack will be as hard on the Colts as it may initially seem.  Taylor behind that OL could produce in a big way for the Colts.  I will pick the Vikings here due to the possibility of Cousins having more in his arm than Rivers-26-21.

Baltimore (1-0) at Houston (0-1)-the division’s marquee matchup in week 2 featuring two playoff games from last year when the Ravens head down o Houston to face the Texans.  The Ravens are fresh off a huge blowout win over the Browns (how many times will dupes like me continue to give the Browns credit for a good roster when they can’t seem to produce?).  In a game featuring two of the most dynamic QBs in the league I give Deshaun Watson as being the better passer between the two, while Lamar Jackson is the better runner-though clearly both QBs are good at mobility and passing.   I see the Ravens as a better top to bottom roster than the Texans.  I see talent and depth everywhere on the Ravens roster.  The Texans, meanwhile?  Not sure about their receivers, DL  outside of Watt, DBs and WRs.  While David Johnson had a decent first showing with the Texans, it had to sting Texans fans to see that monster performance from Hopkins.     With the lack of crowd noise playing a factor, I think Baltimore scores more and pulls it out 30-24.

Last week:           2-1
Overall:                2-1

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
This Week in the AFC South-Week 2 - by Bullseye - 09-16-2020, 08:01 AM
RE: This Week in the AFC South-Week 2 - by Mikey - 09-16-2020, 08:56 AM
RE: This Week in the AFC South-Week 2 - by tyus - 09-17-2020, 04:04 PM
RE: This Week in the AFC South-Week 2 - by enigma - 09-17-2020, 10:09 PM
RE: This Week in the AFC South-Week 2 - by Mikey - 09-21-2020, 09:20 AM