Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This Week in the AFC South-Week 2

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2020, 08:02 AM by Bullseye.)

One week in, so far so good as the Good guys Jacksonville Jaguars are currently tied for first atop the division, with their surprising to most win over the Colts, in a game where Gardner Minshew completed 19-201 for 3 TDs and no INTs-the textbook definition of efficiency.  The Texans began the season with the daunting task of opening the season in KC.  It did not go well, as the Texans lost 34-20 to the defending champs.  Finally, benefitting from  what was quite possibly the worst example of clock mismanagement I’ve seen, Tennessee pulled out a tough win over Denver on Monday night over Denver.  Prediction wise, last year I got off to a horrendous start, and it took me until half the season to finally get my head above water.  So fat, while I am thrilled to have been wrong about the Jaguars Colts game last week, I am irritiated to be right about Tennessee, given the circumstances of how the game ended.  Hopefully, I will continue my walk with prognostication respectability, but for the, the struggle will be still processing the unknown while guarding against overreacting.

Now for the picks:
Jaguars (1-0) at Tennessee (1-0)-The good guys go into Trashville and face the evil and villainous tacks.  Nissan stadium has become a house of horrors for the Jaguars over the years, and the team has suffered some if its most demoralizing losses there.  RB Derrick has played a major role in that misery over the past 2-3 seasons,   Can Henry be slowed this week?  Vrabel has done a good job getting his team to be more physical against the Jaguars defense. And though the Jaguars won last week, I don’t see them being up to the task of slowing down the Tack running game.  I also wonder how CJ Henderson, who came up with an outstanding first performance against the Colts, will manage against bigger, more physical receivers in AJ Brown and Corey Davus.  The Colts were thought to be an improved defense, but Minshew and the Jaguars offense were effective against the Colts.   I think they are up against a team with a better defensive pedigree in Tennessee.  While initial result show the addition of  Clowney was good, believe it or not, I think the Jaguars’ T play is better than what Denver had to offer.  Adoree Jackson will miss the game.  If Minshew can get time, the good young group of Jaguars receivers may be able to exploit it.    Titans win 23-17.

Minnesota (0-1) at Indianapolis (0-1)
In what appears to be an interesting game on paper, the Vikings travel to Indy to face the Colts.  The lingering question to me is if the Colts are overrated?  I look at their roster, built from shrewd trades down, and I see a lot of good players.  But what to make of Phillip Rivers?  He seems like his resume will get him some talk of Hall of Fame consideration.  But in recent years at least, I heard a lot of talk about his propensity of throwing key INTs.  Because I don’t watch Rivers too much, I wondered where that talk came from.  I saw that last week.    It seemed like there wasn’t much zip on his passes.  On his INTs, he didn’t seem to step into his throws, although I saw no pressure on those plays.  How much of that is poor fundamentals (a ridiculous thought considering his status as a coaches’ son and his tenure in the league) , how much of this is age, and how much is receiver fault?  If it’s age, the Colts could be in trouble.  As for Minnesota, last week we saw the results of a lot of departures on defense going up against Canton bound Aaron Rodgers.  The Colts had some difficulty stopping rookie UDFA James Robinson behind the Jaguars’ OL.  I believe they will have more issues stopping Vikings RB Dalvin Cook, who just earned a contract extension from the Vikings.  I do not think the loss of Mack will be as hard on the Colts as it may initially seem.  Taylor behind that OL could produce in a big way for the Colts.  I will pick the Vikings here due to the possibility of Cousins having more in his arm than Rivers-26-21.

Baltimore (1-0) at Houston (0-1)-the division’s marquee matchup in week 2 featuring two playoff games from last year when the Ravens head down o Houston to face the Texans.  The Ravens are fresh off a huge blowout win over the Browns (how many times will dupes like me continue to give the Browns credit for a good roster when they can’t seem to produce?).  In a game featuring two of the most dynamic QBs in the league I give Deshaun Watson as being the better passer between the two, while Lamar Jackson is the better runner-though clearly both QBs are good at mobility and passing.   I see the Ravens as a better top to bottom roster than the Texans.  I see talent and depth everywhere on the Ravens roster.  The Texans, meanwhile?  Not sure about their receivers, DL  outside of Watt, DBs and WRs.  While David Johnson had a decent first showing with the Texans, it had to sting Texans fans to see that monster performance from Hopkins.     With the lack of crowd noise playing a factor, I think Baltimore scores more and pulls it out 30-24.

Last week:           2-1
Overall:                2-1

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2020, 08:43 AM by homebiscuit.)

With the addition of Schobert and Jack being moved to his natural position, I don't see Henry gashing us as bad. We may even have a chance of containing him. Not to mention a shaky and unsure Gostowski for the tacks.
Tannehill has a pretty quick and accurate release so I'm hoping we don't witness the same slice and dice Rivers served us last week. Let's hope our secondary is more prepared.

Overall, both our D and O improved during the clots game. This team gained confidence in each other and became more dynamic. I don't think we see the same team as Sunday; it will be better.

Jags 23, tacks 17
Minnesota
Baltimore

3-0

Thanks as always for keeping this rolling, Bullseye. I'll do my best not to steal from your write-ups!

Anyhoo, 2-1 last week and overall. Not bad, considering we didn't have preseason to get our prognostication muscles in shape. On to this week!

Jags 24 tacks 19: Not gonna get fooled twice. We can't expect to win every week, but I like what we saw Sunday out of the offense, and the D held on. Get used to a bunch of close games this year, Jag fans. I'm a firm believer that Tannehill was a waste of money for the tacks, hopefully he proves my case this weekend. We absolutely must key on Henry.

indynoplace 24 Vikes 23: Rodgers carved that D up last week, and while Rivers is not Rodgers, he should be able to do enough to keep the game close. With Mack done, do they become one-dimensional, though? I have a feeling they are going to be motivated to prove that last week's loss was a fluke.

Balto 38 tinhorns 20: I'd feel bad for Watson, but he's getting well compensated for enduring Bill O'Brien's tenure. Just a brutal schedule to start the season. If they end up 0-2, do they start quitting on the coach/GM?

2-1 last week

Titans over Jaguars
Vikings over Colts
Texans over Ravens
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

Well, well, well......I am so glad I was wrong on the Jags last week. Without a preseason to glean info from I felt like I was flying blind in the Jags game and figured Rivers would stymie us again.  Although I was surprised at how efficient our offense was, I was even more impressed with our defensive front against arguably the best "O"-line in the league. We were somewhat stingy with our secondary and were scrappy enough with our linebackers that I didn't necessarily see any liabilities in our defense as a whole. That being said, there were several areas to improve upon, like run defense, but overall I would say the defense played well. 

Now on offense, I love what Minshew did in that he took what the defense gave him and didn't try to do too much when plays weren't there. He did have a tendency to hold on to the ball too long here and there, but that didn't lead to turnovers and major mistakes. The camaraderie in our locker room and the confidence of our players in Minshew and each other is palpable.

Now for my picks:

Jags     (I think our pass rush gets home this week)

Vikes    (This team is too good defensively and will tighten up for the win)

Ravens (Texans D has no chance to stop Jackson and co.)

Last week:  2-1
Overall    :  2-1
"So you're saying there's a chance!".   - Lloyd Christmas

1-3

Jags - (tacks looked really rusty on monday and have a short week to fix it)
vikes
ravens

(09-16-2020, 10:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: 1-3

Jags  -  (tacks looked really rusty on monday and have a short week to fix it)
vikes
ravens

That's what worries me. The Titans looked like they were wearing concrete shoes at times while the jags (what i saw) looked very efficient. I expect the Titans to fix it pretty fast though, and being at home should help with the short week. 
I think we see a very close game and i'm hoping the tacks can pull it out. 

Tacks
Colts
Ravens
[Image: incredulous.gif]

(09-16-2020, 02:23 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 10:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: 1-3

Jags  -  (tacks looked really rusty on monday and have a short week to fix it)
vikes
ravens

That's what worries me. The Titans looked like they were wearing concrete shoes at times while the jags (what i saw) looked very efficient. I expect the Titans to fix it pretty fast though, and being at home should help with the short week. 

Tacks
Colts
Ravens

I doubt it means much, but you’re by far my fav tacks fan who posts here, cause you actually come to talk straight up football rather then troll. 

Season record: 2-1 

titans over Jags (I love em but they are in prove-it mode to me and I will be happy to be wrong) 
Baltimore over Houston 
Vikings over Colts

3-0 last week. I'll take it!

This week:

Jags (could go either way, but I can't ever pick them over us)
Minnesota
Baltimore

(09-16-2020, 02:34 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 02:23 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: That's what worries me. The Titans looked like they were wearing concrete shoes at times while the jags (what i saw) looked very efficient. I expect the Titans to fix it pretty fast though, and being at home should help with the short week. 

Tacks
Colts
Ravens

I doubt it means much, but you’re by far my fav tacks fan who posts here, cause you actually come to talk straight up football rather then troll. 

Season record: 2-1 

titans over Jags (I love em but they are in prove-it mode to me and I will be happy to be wrong) 
Baltimore over Houston 
Vikings over Colts

I appreciate it, and thanks for those who let me stick around. Most you jag fans are pretty knowledgeable and i enjoy these division threads. And for what its worth i wouldnt even waste my time on a colts forum. Haha
[Image: incredulous.gif]

3-0 last week, so I'm feeling good.

Jags--Wow, the tacks did not look good. Lock missed a ton of wide open guys also.
Ravens--Yeah, I really don't see a worse Houston team from last year beating a better Ravens one.
Vikings--This one could go either way but I think the Vikings are the better team.

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2020, 04:36 PM by Bullseye.)

I sure hope all of my fellow Jaguars fans who have faith enough in the team to predict them beating Tennessee are absolutely right.

I would gladly surrender the prognostication point for a Jaguars win against the tacks!

(09-16-2020, 08:56 AM)Mikey Wrote: Thanks as always for keeping this rolling, Bullseye. I'll do my best not to steal from your write-ups!

Anyhoo, 2-1 last week and overall. Not bad, considering we didn't have preseason to get our prognostication muscles in shape. On to this week!

Jags 24 tacks 19: Not gonna get fooled twice. We can't expect to win every week, but I like what we saw Sunday out of the offense, and the D held on. Get used to a bunch of close games this year, Jag fans. I'm a firm believer that Tannehill was a waste of money for the tacks, hopefully he proves my case this weekend. We absolutely must key on Henry.

indynoplace 24 Vikes 23: Rodgers carved that D up last week, and while Rivers is not Rodgers, he should be able to do enough to keep the game close. With Mack done, do they become one-dimensional, though? I have a feeling they are going to be motivated to prove that last week's loss was a fluke.

Balto 38 tinhorns 20: I'd feel bad for Watson, but he's getting well compensated for enduring Bill O'Brien's tenure. Just a brutal schedule to start the season. If they end up 0-2, do they start quitting on the coach/GM?

Not sure you'd want to copy my write ups, TBH.

Aside from them being far from my best work, even within the limited context of this thread, My recent history (at least dating back to last year) suggests I absolutely suck in these early season tilts.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

2-1 last week. 

2-1 overall

my picks this week.  

Ravans-defesne was already really good,adding campel made it even better. 

colts- vikeings qb kirk is highly overrated rivers is the much better qb. 

titians-they have the jags number

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

I’ll be copying Wolfie’s picks this time.

Titans  24
Jaguars  20

Are the Jags really as good as they looked last week?  Are the Tacks really as bad as they looked last week?  I think the performance gap narrows in this game and the Titans pull out another narrow victory.  However, if the Jags prevail then I am officially 100% on the homer bandwagon.

Colts  33
Vikings  25

Rivers makes up for last week and Indy’s defense improves somewhat.

Ravens  35
Texans  19

The Ratbirds keep the party going and send the Texans to the AFCS cellar in the process.

2-1 last week
2-1 overall
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

...and to Nashville Dave, you are my favorite Tack poster as well.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

1-2 last week.
I'll go tacks, Vikings, Ravens.

The Jaguars managed a win, but didn't force the colts to punt once, I can't see that level of play getting another win, so I'll take the hated flaming thumbtacks.

The colts aren't even a good team, which is why the no punts thing is so concerning. That's why I think the Vikings will push the colts to 0-2.

The Texans aren't as good as the hype, either, which is why they'll be 0-2 and the titans will lead the division after this week.

My head is saying the Jags lose this week but my heart says we win. Also, Henry is a slow starter, I heard a stat in Sept. his career ypc is like 3.6 or something.

Defense will be swarming and this team will have the confidence and swagger to dominate this game. Henry will rush for under 100 yards and Ryan T throws a pick 6.

Jaguars over [BLEEP] 24-10

Colts sputter vs Minn.

Vikes 31-20

Texans will be demoralized early and get the ole Lamar special.

42-17 Ravens.

LW/Overall: 3-0

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2020, 10:34 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

Tacks
Vikings
Ravens
2-1 last week

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

1-2 last week, but I got the one that matters.

In order of obviousness:

Ravens over Texans: Facing what might be the best 2 teams in the NFL back-to-back to open the season is a nightmare. If the Texans don't do a better job of controlling this one, it could snowball their season in a bad way. Wouldn't that be a shame...

Jags over Titans: The Titans looked vulnerable to the passing game Monday night. If Minshew is able to mix in more deep passes and secure an early lead, the Titans may have to move away from Henry to catch up.

Colts over Vikings: I could see this going to the Vikes very easily. The Colts are at home, so I am going with them.

Last Week - 3-0
Overall - 3-0

Jags
Vikings
Ravens