Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rating your confidence level on Meyer

(09-17-2021, 03:14 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Urban Meyer has gotten off to an extremely shaky start in his first year as an NFL head coach. There is no need to repeat all the mistakes he has made as those on this board are well aware of this. The bigger question is this: Despite Meyer's poor start, what is your confidence level (on a scale of 0-10) that he will learn from his mistakes and lead the Jaguars to several AFC South titles and at least one Super Bowl win. Regardless of whether this winning begins next season or no later than 2022-23, what is your current confidence level?

My personal rating would be a 3. I don't believe that he has the temperament or patience to handle losing. He overestimated his ability to adjust to the NFL - partly because he'd have a generational quarterback and even more-so due to his overinflated ego. Despite never liking him, I hoped he would at least turn around the team's bad fortunes for over a decade. I gave this a rating of 3 because it's still early and it is possible Meyer will prove his skeptics to be wrong.

What is your confidence level rating for Urban?

I think this may be the first stop in his career where he has to face an uphill battle for approval. His "don't give up" address in the post-game comments is a sign that he's attentive to public outcry, at a minimum. If the public sentiment is stressing him or wearing him down, I don't think he is hungry or desperate enough to see the rebuild all the way through.

I think he's resilient, though, he's faced bad press, media scrutiny, and high stakes coaching in his past. His biggest challenge will be delegation. He can't do everything and survive. It will grind him down, and he's going to have to lean on his supporting staff where he probably didn't need to as much at any of his college or media jobs.

He's made bad choices, but has some degree of success that affords a benefit of the doubt. I'm probably around a 3 or 4 as well.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rating your confidence level on Meyer - by Mikey - 09-20-2021, 09:45 AM