Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
First Impressions: Devin Loyd

Looking through the various mock draft sites, I kept seeing his name.  I hadn't seen much of Utah this year, though they kicked Oregon sideways a couple of weeks back.  Utah doesn't have a long history of producing LBs, though they have started to produce better athletes over the years, so I decided to give him a look.

I'm not entirely sure what to think of him in terms of scheme fit.

I see a guy with very good athletic ability who works well in space.  He has the potential and athletic ability to be one of the best cover LBs to come into the league since Luke Kuechly.  He seems to have good hands to make INTs, which makes some sense given he played WR and S in high school.

But I also see a guy who doesn't provide thump when he takes on linemen.  In fact, he seems to get engulfed by them, and once he's engaged, you can forget him shedding.  But not being overly familiar with Utah, I'm wondering what they are doing with him scheme wise.  From what little I've seen, they don't try to free him up when blitzing.  They will move him around and allow him to rush from different positions on the front, including with his hand down on the edge, but they seem to always run him straight into blockers, which leads me to the engulfed analysis.  None of the footage I have seen thus far shows Utah utilizing his athletic ability by bringing him free.

He's listed at 6-3, 235, but as I said, he doesn't seem to be a run stuffer.  He seems to pursue really well though.

Though the Jaguars could certainly use better coverage from its ILBs, I am not sure he's a fit as a 3-4 ILB.  I'm thinking he will thrive in a 4-3 where he's protected by DTs, or in a scheme that is a creative blitzing team that enables blitzers to come free-and that's us.  He came into college as a 205 lb Freshman.  Can he add any more weight?

For those of you who have seen him, what are your thoughts?  I haven't fully formulated my opinion of him just yet.  If you watch Utah closely, what can you tell me of their scheme that might give me insight to this guy?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Messages In This Thread
First Impressions: Devin Loyd - by Bullseye - 12-01-2021, 04:48 AM
RE: First Impressions: Devin Loyd - by Bullseye - 12-01-2021, 11:31 AM
RE: First Impressions: Devin Loyd - by DTWD4∞ - 12-02-2021, 09:20 AM
RE: First Impressions: Devin Loyd - by Bullseye - 12-02-2021, 10:23 AM
RE: First Impressions: Devin Loyd - by DTWD4∞ - 12-02-2021, 12:18 PM
RE: First Impressions: Devin Loyd - by Bullseye - 12-02-2021, 01:13 PM
RE: First Impressions: Devin Loyd - by Upper - 12-02-2021, 01:45 PM
RE: First Impressions: Devin Loyd - by Bullseye - 12-03-2021, 11:05 PM
RE: First Impressions: Devin Loyd - by DTWD4∞ - 12-03-2021, 11:35 PM
RE: First Impressions: Devin Loyd - by Upper - 12-04-2021, 08:00 PM
RE: First Impressions: Devin Loyd - by Upper - 12-04-2021, 09:29 PM