Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
First Impressions: Devin Loyd

Looking through the various mock draft sites, I kept seeing his name.  I hadn't seen much of Utah this year, though they kicked Oregon sideways a couple of weeks back.  Utah doesn't have a long history of producing LBs, though they have started to produce better athletes over the years, so I decided to give him a look.

I'm not entirely sure what to think of him in terms of scheme fit.

I see a guy with very good athletic ability who works well in space.  He has the potential and athletic ability to be one of the best cover LBs to come into the league since Luke Kuechly.  He seems to have good hands to make INTs, which makes some sense given he played WR and S in high school.

But I also see a guy who doesn't provide thump when he takes on linemen.  In fact, he seems to get engulfed by them, and once he's engaged, you can forget him shedding.  But not being overly familiar with Utah, I'm wondering what they are doing with him scheme wise.  From what little I've seen, they don't try to free him up when blitzing.  They will move him around and allow him to rush from different positions on the front, including with his hand down on the edge, but they seem to always run him straight into blockers, which leads me to the engulfed analysis.  None of the footage I have seen thus far shows Utah utilizing his athletic ability by bringing him free.

He's listed at 6-3, 235, but as I said, he doesn't seem to be a run stuffer.  He seems to pursue really well though.

Though the Jaguars could certainly use better coverage from its ILBs, I am not sure he's a fit as a 3-4 ILB.  I'm thinking he will thrive in a 4-3 where he's protected by DTs, or in a scheme that is a creative blitzing team that enables blitzers to come free-and that's us.  He came into college as a 205 lb Freshman.  Can he add any more weight?

For those of you who have seen him, what are your thoughts?  I haven't fully formulated my opinion of him just yet.  If you watch Utah closely, what can you tell me of their scheme that might give me insight to this guy?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-01-2021, 04:48 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Looking through the various mock draft sites, I kept seeing his name.  I hadn't seen much of Utah this year, though they kicked Oregon sideways a couple of weeks back.  Utah doesn't have a long history of producing LBs, though they have started to produce better athletes over the years, so I decided to give him a look.

I see a guy with very good athletic ability who works well in space.  He has the potential and athletic ability to be one of the best cover LBs to come into the league since Luke Kuechly.  He seems to have good hands to make INTs, which makes some sense given he played WR and S in high school.

But I also see a guy who doesn't provide thump when he takes on linemen.  In fact, he seems to get engulfed by them, and once he's engaged, you can forget him shedding.  But not being overly familiar with Utah, I'm wondering what they are doing with him scheme wise.  From what little I've seen, they don't try to free him up when blitzing.  They will move him around and allow him to rush from different positions on the front, including with his hand down on the edge, but they seem to always run him straight into blockers, which leads me to the engulfed analysis.  None of the footage I have seen thus far shows Utah utilizing his athletic ability by bringing him free.

He's listed at 6-3, 235, but as I said, he doesn't seem to be a run stuffer.  He seems to pursue really well though.

Though the Jaguars could certainly use better coverage from its ILBs, I am not sure he's a fit as a 3-4 ILB.  I'm thinking he will thrive in a 4-3 where he's protected by DTs, or in a scheme that is a creative blitzing team that enables blitzers to come free-and that's us.  He came into college as a 205 lb Freshman.  Can he add any more weight?

For those of you who have seen him, what are your thoughts?  I haven't fully formulated my opinion of him just yet.  If you watch Utah closely, what can you tell me of their scheme that might give me insight to this guy?

Devin Lloyd has been the #1 ILB from before the season began and he's done nothing to make me think otherwise. I love this guy. The problem is that I believe he's gonna be selected at the bottom half of the first round. If we somehow landed him, I'd be ecstatic. He's a great sideline to sideline player and he has very good coverage ability, which is something we desperately need. I know in most mocks he's battling it out with Georgia's Nakobe Dean as the first ILB to be taken. I love Dean's production as well, but I don't think Dean has the size to play ILB in a 3-4 scheme in the NFL. You can get away with being smaller and playing that position in college, but in the pros it's much different. I also really, really like Mike Rose of Iowa State. He is a big "thumper" in the middle and he has excellent coverage ability as well. He had 5 interceptions in 2020 and now opposing QB's don't throw anywhere near him. Lloyd may not have ideal size for a 3-4 ILB, but if his billed size is accurate, he's not too far off and I believe he could easily play effectively in the NFL at his current size.

I know Utah runs a 4-3 scheme, but imo, Lloyd is way more adaptable to a 3-4 scheme change than Myles Jack was. Lloyd is so much more instinctive and just seems to have a nose for finding the football. If Utah lined him up solely at at MLB and let him go, I believe he would be even better. Sometimes coaches can't see the "forest through the trees" and try to get too innovative with an athletic player like Lloyd. Just let him do what he does best. Mike Rose comes from a 3-3-5 scheme and is extremely instinctive as well and shows a lot of the same traits. That's been the problem with Myles Jack. He has all the athleticism in the world, but he lacks the natural instincts to be an effective ILB. He needs to be on the outside in a 4-3 scheme. 

I really believe 200% that we need a new pair of starting ILB's. One "thumper" who can help stuff the run and one for much needed help in coverage. Both should have some coverage ability though. We don't have one decent ILB starting for us right now. Myles Jack needs to be traded in the offseason, because he's being totally wasted in the 3-4 scheme and he's a liability. 

If we could somehow get a pair of linebackers like Lloyd and Rose, I believe it will make a world of difference for our defense. With that said, I highly doubt that it happens. I believe Lloyd goes late round 1 and Rose should go no later than mid round 3.

(12-01-2021, 10:57 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-01-2021, 04:48 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Looking through the various mock draft sites, I kept seeing his name.  I hadn't seen much of Utah this year, though they kicked Oregon sideways a couple of weeks back.  Utah doesn't have a long history of producing LBs, though they have started to produce better athletes over the years, so I decided to give him a look.

Devin Lloyd has been the #1 ILB from before the season began and he's done nothing to make me think otherwise. I love this guy. The problem is that I believe he's gonna be selected at the bottom half of the first round. If we somehow landed him, I'd be ecstatic. He's a great sideline to sideline player and he has very good coverage ability, which is something we desperately need. I know in most mocks he's battling it out with Georgia's Nakobe Dean as the first ILB to be taken. I love Dean's production as well, but I don't think Dean has the size to play ILB in a 3-4 scheme in the NFL. You can get away with being smaller and playing that position in college, but in the pros it's much different. I also really, really like Mike Rose of Iowa State. He is a big "thumper" in the middle and he has excellent coverage ability as well. He had 5 interceptions in 2020 and now opposing QB's don't throw anywhere near him. Lloyd may not have ideal size for a 3-4 ILB, but if his billed size is accurate, he's not too far off and I believe he could easily play effectively in the NFL at his current size.

I know Utah runs a 4-3 scheme, but imo, Lloyd is way more adaptable to a 3-4 scheme change than Myles Jack was. Lloyd is so much more instinctive and just seems to have a nose for finding the football. If Utah lined him up solely at at MLB and let him go, I believe he would be even better. Sometimes coaches can't see the "forest through the trees" and try to get too innovative with an athletic player like Lloyd. Just let him do what he does best. Mike Rose comes from a 3-3-5 scheme and is extremely instinctive as well and shows a lot of the same traits. That's been the problem with Myles Jack. He has all the athleticism in the world, but he lacks the natural instincts to be an effective ILB. He needs to be on the outside in a 4-3 scheme. 

I really believe 200% that we need a new pair of starting ILB's. One "thumper" who can help stuff the run and one for much needed help in coverage. Both should have some coverage ability though. We don't have one decent ILB starting for us right now. Myles Jack needs to be traded in the offseason, because he's being totally wasted in the 3-4 scheme and he's a liability. 

If we could somehow get a pair of linebackers like Lloyd and Rose, I believe it will make a world of difference for our defense. With that said, I highly doubt that it happens. I believe Lloyd goes late round 1 and Rose should go no later than mid round 3.
So do you see him as the replacement for Jack, should he get traded, or the upgrade over Damien Wilson?

What would be your player comp for him?

I don't see him as the thumper that Devin White in Tampa is.  He doesn't have the cover skills of Kuechly or Urlacher or the pure speed of Shazier.  To me, if I saw him in a 3-4, he'd be a poor man's Shazier, maybe like a bigger Devin Bush.

I still don't get how Utah uses him.

If he excels in space and gets engulfed by OLs, why put him with his hand on the ground head up on a T?  Yes he's an athlete and you want to utilize his athletic ability, but by lining him up like that, you negate him.  He doesn't have the length or bulk to successfully take on many LTs.  

There are things about him I like and things about him I don't like.  I want to see more of him, though.

(12-01-2021, 11:31 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-01-2021, 10:57 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Devin Lloyd has been the #1 ILB from before the season began and he's done nothing to make me think otherwise. I love this guy. The problem is that I believe he's gonna be selected at the bottom half of the first round. If we somehow landed him, I'd be ecstatic. He's a great sideline to sideline player and he has very good coverage ability, which is something we desperately need. I know in most mocks he's battling it out with Georgia's Nakobe Dean as the first ILB to be taken. I love Dean's production as well, but I don't think Dean has the size to play ILB in a 3-4 scheme in the NFL. You can get away with being smaller and playing that position in college, but in the pros it's much different. I also really, really like Mike Rose of Iowa State. He is a big "thumper" in the middle and he has excellent coverage ability as well. He had 5 interceptions in 2020 and now opposing QB's don't throw anywhere near him. Lloyd may not have ideal size for a 3-4 ILB, but if his billed size is accurate, he's not too far off and I believe he could easily play effectively in the NFL at his current size.

So do you see him as the replacement for Jack, should he get traded, or the upgrade over Damien Wilson?

I don't see him as the thumper that Devin White in Tampa is.  He doesn't have the cover skills of Kuechly or Urlacher or the pure speed of Shazier.  To me, if I saw him in a 3-4, he'd be a poor man's Shazier, maybe like a bigger Devin Bush.

If he excels in space and gets engulfed by OLs, why put him with his hand on the ground head up on a T?  Yes he's an athlete and you want to utilize his athletic ability, but by lining him up like that, you negate him.  He doesn't have the length or bulk to successfully take on many LTs.  

There are things about him I like and things about him I don't like.  I want to see more of him, though.

Either one. He's so much better than either player. Probably Jack though. He has the athleticism of Jack, but he has the instincts that Jack is sorely lacking. 

I see Lloyd as a Roquan Smith type player. They are very similar. If he is lined up at one spot and let him be, I believe he could be excellent. 

Utah definitely isn't doing him any favors by the way they use him.

Check out Mike Rose too if you get a chance. I like him a lot too.

(12-01-2021, 11:47 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-01-2021, 11:31 AM)Bullseye Wrote: So do you see him as the replacement for Jack, should he get traded, or the upgrade over Damien Wilson?

Either one. He's so much better than either player. Probably Jack though. He has the athleticism of Jack, but he has the instincts that Jack is sorely lacking. 

I see Lloyd as a Roquan Smith type player. They are very similar. If he is lined up at one spot and let him be, I believe he could be excellent. 

I could really get onboard with a Roquan Smith type ILB. I just wish they mebbe slim Myles down a tad and put him at OLB opposite Josh Allen. If not, then trade him while he has value to a 4-3 defense team

(12-02-2021, 09:20 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(12-01-2021, 11:47 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Either one. He's so much better than either player. Probably Jack though. He has the athleticism of Jack, but he has the instincts that Jack is sorely lacking. 

I could really get onboard with a Roquan Smith type ILB. I just wish they mebbe slim Myles down a tad and put him at OLB opposite Josh Allen. If not, then trade him while he has value to a 4-3 defense team

I would strongly disagree with that.

If we were running a 4-3, I would be okay with putting Jack outside and maybe slimming him down.

But as bad of a fit as he is in a 3-4 at ILB, he is even worse as an OLB, especially at a reduced weight.  He wouldn't have the length to effectively rush the passer, and if he dropped weight he wouldn't have the bulk to hold the point of attack against the run.

(12-02-2021, 10:23 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-02-2021, 09:20 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: I could really get onboard with a Roquan Smith type ILB. I just wish they mebbe slim Myles down a tad and put him at OLB opposite Josh Allen. If not, then trade him while he has value to a 4-3 defense team

I would strongly disagree with that.

If we were running a 4-3, I would be okay with putting Jack outside and maybe slimming him down.

But as bad of a fit as he is in a 3-4 at ILB, he is even worse as an OLB, especially at a reduced weight.  He wouldn't have the length to effectively rush the passer, and if he dropped weight he wouldn't have the bulk to hold the point of attack against the run.

Fair point. I just Wish he could turn into a 3-4 OLB

(12-02-2021, 12:18 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(12-02-2021, 10:23 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I would strongly disagree with that.

Fair point. I just Wish he could turn into a 3-4 OLB

In terms of athletic ability, he's got versatility.  He could be a Mike or Will in a 4-3 and do very well.  I understand the thought of moving him around generally.

But he's miscast in a 3-4 both inside and outside, without even getting into his seeming lack of instincts.

If there were the rare 3-4 scheme where the OLBs frequently dropped into pass coverage, maybe I'd consider it.  But most of the 3-4 schemes in the NFL require a lot of pass rush from the OLBs.  I don't see Jack doing that successfully or consistently.

Lloyd probably goes in the 10-15 range. He seems good but I highly doubt he'll be someone I dig into much since it's extremely unlikely he's ever seriously available to us.

(12-02-2021, 01:45 PM)Upper Wrote: Lloyd probably goes in the 10-15 range. He seems good but I highly doubt he'll be someone I dig into much since it's extremely unlikely he's ever seriously available to us.

I don't know. I see him more in that 20-32 range. It all depends on if teams prefer him or Nakobe Dean. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out and if we end up trading down to acquire more picks.

Lloyd is taking over the Pac-12 Championship game. He's flying around the football and he just intercepted a pass for a pick 6. I love how aggressive he plays and how instinctive he is. He looks like he plays much faster than our current ILB's. I'd love to have this kid on our team, but it is a pretty decent draft for ILB's. Between Lloyd, Mike Rose of Iowa State, Damone Clark of LSU, Channing Tindall of Georgia, Jack Campbell of Iowa, Chad Muma of Wyoming, Brandon Smith of Penn State, Jack Sanborn of Wisconsin and my sleeper, Jaylin Thomas of Ball State, we should be able to find a couple upgrades, but Lloyd is definitely my favorite.

(12-03-2021, 10:17 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Lloyd is taking over the Pac-12 Championship game. He's flying around the football and he just intercepted a pass for a pick 6. I love how aggressive he plays and how instinctive he is. He looks like he plays much faster than our current ILB's. I'd love to have this kid on our team, but it is a pretty decent draft for ILB's. Between Lloyd, Mike Rose of Iowa State, Damone Clark of LSU, Channing Tindall of Georgia, Jack Campbell of Iowa, Chad Muma of Wyoming, Brandon Smith of Penn State, Jack Sanborn of Wisconsin and my sleeper, Jaylin Thomas of Ball State, we should be able to find a couple upgrades, but Lloyd is definitely my favorite.

I missed the first 10 minutes of the game, but I tuned in just in time to see the pick 6.  I also liked what the announcers had to say about his film study.

Ha. I mentioned in the Thibs vs Hutch thread that Oregon’s Sewll was looking as good as Loyd. I neglected to mention Loyd’s speed. He is quite fast and Sewell looks more of a thumper type LB. Overall I agree with Olinematters in that he goes in the 20-32 range but may sneak in to the late teens in the draft

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2021, 04:24 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

Dude could possible go top 10 if he has a great bowl game and run a good 40. He might could help this defense the most if we can't get Thibs or Hutch. I'm curious to see who Utah plays in the bowl game and I will watch. He would be the leader we have lacked since Poz left

Going 9 to Philly in this mock

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news...ivers/amp/

(12-04-2021, 04:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Dude could possible go top 10 if he has a great bowl game and run a good 40.  He might could help this defense the most if we can't get Thibs or Hutch.  I'm curious to see who Utah plays in the bowl game and I will watch.  He would be the leader we have lacked since Poz left

I don't know about top 10, but I'd love to have him on our team. Having an athletic, coverage linebacker with a high motor could do wonders for this defense.

(12-04-2021, 05:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-04-2021, 04:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Dude could possible go top 10 if he has a great bowl game and run a good 40.  He might could help this defense the most if we can't get Thibs or Hutch.  I'm curious to see who Utah plays in the bowl game and I will watch.  He would be the leader we have lacked since Poz left

I don't know about top 10, but I'd love to have him on our team. Having an athletic, coverage linebacker with a high motor could do wonders for this defense.
It wouldn't shock me at all the way he is making plays.  Gonna keep a very close eye on him in his Bowl game

Like I said, he would be great for us but there's just no way we wind up with him. He won't go THAT high that we take him with our first but he'll be long, long gone by the 2nd round.

(12-04-2021, 08:00 PM)Upper Wrote: Like I said, he would be great for us but there's just no way we wind up with him. He won't go THAT high that we take him with our first but he'll be long, long gone by the 2nd round.

The only way we would get him would be on a trade down scenario, which is a possibility.

(12-04-2021, 08:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-04-2021, 08:00 PM)Upper Wrote: Like I said, he would be great for us but there's just no way we wind up with him. He won't go THAT high that we take him with our first but he'll be long, long gone by the 2nd round.

The only way we would get him would be on a trade down scenario, which is a possibility.

Exactly

Meh, it's possible but it would be unwise. If we trade down in the top 10 we need to be going for Jameson. If we trade back a little farther than that we need to get one of the OSU receivers. There isn't really a point where Lloyd would be the best pick for us.