Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ryan Mallet to be traded

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2014, 01:01 PM by roycee.)

Quote:Where in this thread did I say to give up? I dont' even think the Texans will win the division this season. The Colts will. 

But next season's division title chasing just got tougher for the rest of the AFCS. 

It was in another thread about Mallett & the Texans

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:C'mon man!

You have some good football takes sometimes.  But when you fall for a player, you get ridiculous with it and overvalue them.  And whenever you happen to get one right, you boast about it while ignoring all the times you were wrong.  When people call you out, you just point out to one of the times you happened to be right.  

You have different standards for Jags players and the players you've fallen for.  Everybody else is on a 'prove it' level, while the guys you like are on a "They've proven it" level, even when they haven't.  

Nobody in the league thought Mallett was a franchise caliber guy.  Especially when a 2016 7th conditional 7th rounder was traded for him.  Surely some other team would have thrown a conditional 5th if they thought Mallett could do it.  You're one of the only people left who think he can be something.  

The Texans wouldn't have traded for Mallett if they didn't think he was significant starter material. There would be no reason to do so, given they already have Fitzpatrick (serviceable caretaker), and Savage (future) on the roster. 

Just because the Texans got Mallett dirt cheap doesn't mean they don't think highly of him, it just means they likely got great value here. 

Quote:It was in another thread about Mallett & the Texans

I said to "give up"?? Uh no. I don't think so. 

Quote:The Texans wouldn't have traded for Mallett if they didn't think he was significant starter material. There would be no reason to do so, given they already have Fitzpatrick (serviceable caretaker), and Savage (future) on the roster.

Just because the Texans got Mallett dirt cheap doesn't mean they don't think highly of him, it just means they likely got great value here.

I don't even think that was the case. This was posted by one of our resident Texans fan:

Quote:We mainly acquired Mallett because O'Brien wanted a somewhat competent backup to come in in case Fitzpatrick gets injured or fails miserably, and he didn't feel like Keenum could be counted on.

I'm guessing he still is hoping Savage becomes the long term answer though.

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:The Texans wouldn't have traded for Mallett if they didn't think he was significant starter material. There would be no reason to do so, given they already have Fitzpatrick (serviceable caretaker), and Savage (future) on the roster.

That doesn't likely mean that. Its likely what you want it to mean.

You dug your heels in on a guy who has done nothing.
;

;

Laughing

Of course!  They got 'great value' for him.  They couldn't possibly be trading for a backup QB because Savage isn't remotely ready yet, and their other option is Case Keenum.  

I thought the Patriots wouldn't trade him for less than a 3rd.  Certainly not for a 4th or 5th.  

If they really thought he'd be a starter, I'd think they'd have traded for him a bit earlier than they did, so he could get some reps in before the regular season started.  The 49ers traded for Gabbert (and traded a 6th for him) and certainly didn't have any plans on him being the starter anytime soon.  The Falcons traded for TJ Yates too.  And they only planned on him being a backup.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:You swore he wouldn't pass the waiver wire though.

I called that one lol

This is another lie.

Quote:I said to "give up"?? Uh no. I don't think so. 

That may not have been the exact wording but something along those lines. 

Likely got great value? LOL!!

Quote:Its not as if Clowney hasn't also looked good....and he WAS the number 1 overall pick. The Texans had a chance to select Bortles, and passed, remember that?

Yeah, and the Texans made a huge mistake if Bortles is as advertised.

Passing on a legit QB like Bortles (we hope) can literally be terrible news for the Texans for more than a decade.

They almost picked Bortles... So far we can count our lucky stars that The Clowney Hype Machine was also available.

also, we can count our lucky stars the Rams had a huge investment in Bradford already and went with a tackle.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Yeah, and the Texans made a huge mistake if Bortles is as advertised.

Passing on a legit QB like Bortles (we hope) can literally be terrible news for the Texans for more than a decade.

They almost picked Bortles... So far we can count our lucky stars that The Clowney Hype Machine was also available.

also, we can count our lucky stars the Rams had a huge investment in Bradford already and went with a tackle.

I agree with the first sentence, but thats still a huge IF. 

He hasn't played a single snap in the NFL regular season game yet. 

Quote:I agree with the first sentence, but thats still a huge IF.

He hasn't played a single snap in the NFL regular season game yet.

It's a huge if with anyone, including Clowney.

But what he's shown has me very optimistic and confident. The biggest quality he has is poise in the pocket, something that the posterboy for who not to draft (Gabbert) never had and never will.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

If tmd were GM, we'd be watching Mallet throwing to Stephen Hill next Sunday.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:If tmd were GM, we'd be watching Mallet throwing to Stephen Hill next Sunday.

With no marqise lee and no bortles to be seen on the team
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:With no marqise lee and no bortles to be seen on the team

That's good GM work, right?
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:If tmd were GM, we'd be watching Mallet throwing to Stephen Hill next Sunday.

Puke.
Shock the world

Quote:That's good GM work, right?

Trading out 2 super high value, high potential players for 2 no value risks that have had 2-3 years to show us nothing so far?

Yeah. Absolutely.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

El Oh El Exclamation Point

Mallett or Bridgewater

Oh thats right, Bridgewater is quietly looking great in Minnesota in preseason so y'all will hush hush the fact that he was my top QB this offseason. 

Typical. 

Quote:Mallett or Bridgewater

Oh thats right, Bridgewater is quietly looking great in Minnesota in preseason so y'all will hush hush the fact that he was my top QB this offseason.

Typical.

Bortles has looked better so still you are on the losing end...

You also wanted us to tank for Teddy. Turns out we could have been Superbowl champs and got him. Way to cost us our first Superbowl