Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We have a franchise QB

(11-05-2019, 02:20 PM)PS9 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 12:56 PM)Ace Nova Wrote: This is exactly the time of year Foles typically gets red hot.  He’s don’t it 2 seasons in a row with the Eagles.   Not starting him would be a monumental mistake, imo.

http://www.nfl.com/player/nickfoles/2532842/careerstats

Foles has a career passer rating of 88.7. He’s never thrown for 3000 yards in a season. I do not understand the love some have for him.

(11-05-2019, 05:26 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 02:20 PM)PS9 Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/player/nickfoles/2532842/careerstats

Foles has a career passer rating of 88.7. He’s never thrown for 3000 yards in a season. I do not understand the love some have for him.

Absolute mistake going back to him. It won't last long however behind this line.

Foles has been a different QB the last 2 seasons, specifically in crunch time and in the playoffs.  His career post season passer rating is among the highest in NFL history.

Minshew looks like the real deal and he most likely will have a nice career.  If you want to win THIS season, Foles is your guy....especially now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The choice has been made, NF7 is The Man until otherwise stated by Marrone or above. I'm glad that this decision was made in such an early stage so that the team and staff knows whom to prepare and what to prepare for.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(11-05-2019, 06:54 PM)NH3 Wrote: The choice has been made, NF7 is The Man until otherwise stated by Marrone or above. I'm glad that this decision was made in such an early stage so that the team and staff knows whom to prepare and what to prepare for.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Yep, it's good to know no one I know will be watching anymore.

And as soon as Foles looks "meh" and we're out of the playoff hint, GM15 will be back under center where he should be. Probably have his shoulder healed up and ready to finish up this season and take over permanently next year.

It doesn’t matter because my opinion means exactly jack-[BLEEP] to Marrone, but I completely disagree with this decision. I don’t think we’re losing because of Minshew, so we shouldn’t replace him. I’m always going to default to the younger QB in these situations. The only thing Foles may do better, hopefully, is make a decision faster.

Oh, well. We’re not a good team, and I’ve accepted that, so I’m not too disappointed.

(11-05-2019, 06:38 PM)Ace Nova Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 02:20 PM)PS9 Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/player/nickfoles/2532842/careerstats

(11-05-2019, 05:26 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: Absolute mistake going back to him. It won't last long however behind this line.

Foles has been a different QB the last 2 seasons, specifically in crunch time and in the playoffs.  His career post season passer rating is among the highest in NFL history.

Minshew looks like the real deal and he most likely will have a nice career.  If you want to win THIS season, Foles is your guy....especially now.
this

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 07:49 AM by PS9.)

(11-05-2019, 06:38 PM)Ace Nova Wrote:

(11-05-2019, 05:26 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: Absolute mistake going back to him. It won't last long however behind this line.

How did that playoff game against the saints end for Foles?

(11-05-2019, 06:54 PM)NH3 Wrote: The choice has been made, NF7 is The Man until otherwise stated by Marrone or above. I'm glad that this decision was made in such an early stage so that the team and staff knows whom to prepare and what to prepare for.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

More like to tip the Colts off about whom to prepare for. I don't understand why the decision had to be broadcast outside the locker room so soon. Preparing for a statue with a quick release vs. preparing for happy feet who can improvise presents two different challenges. Why not keep the Colts guessing up until game time? 

Wash is fond of doing this through the media, too, with how he plans to use his players in the upcoming game.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(11-06-2019, 08:46 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

More like to tip the Colts off about whom to prepare for. I don't understand why the decision had to be broadcast outside the locker room so soon. Preparing for a statue with a quick release vs. preparing for happy feet who can improvise presents two different challenges. Why not keep the Colts guessing up until game time? 

Wash is fond of doing this through the media, too, with how he plans to use his players in the upcoming game.
likely because everyone knows already. 80 something percent of the fan base voted for foles to return. And that is just the knowledge of fans, surely coaches have a better feel for things. Foles is better. Colts know who they would be facing anyway.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 10:27 AM by Kane.)

(11-05-2019, 06:20 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 05:27 PM)Kane Wrote: Minshew was very good for a 6th round rookie

But let's not pretend he was out there being Mahomes or Watson.

To be fair....Lets not pretend we have Andy Reid calling plays or Watson level experience in our system.  Don't compare apples and oranges please.  I know its the thing right now around here, with jax being the new philly and so on.

Firstly, NYC broke down the play calling of the last game, Minshew is missing some guys. But sure, I'll give you that we don't have Andy Reid but still..
I'm not comparing really. (You could insert most any starter QB in my sentence. Hell, he wasn't even playing at a level like Kyle Allen) No amount of play calling is fixing Minshew's rookie mistakes. Just time and development.
My point was, the kid isn't out here lighting up the stat sheet and being let down by the defense. He held the fort. Went 4-5. Fumbled at a clip like Bortles threw INTs.

Some people are clamoring for us to keep him in like we're taking a major step back with Foles.
It's kind of mind boggling really.

(11-06-2019, 10:23 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 06:20 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: To be fair....Lets not pretend we have Andy Reid calling plays or Watson level experience in our system.  Don't compare apples and oranges please.  I know its the thing right now around here, with jax being the new philly and so on.

Firstly, NYC broke down the play calling of the last game, Minshew is missing some guys. But sure, I'll give you that we don't have Andy Reid but still..
I'm not comparing really. (You could insert most any starter QB in my sentence. Hell, he wasn't even playing at a level like Kyle Allen) No amount of play calling is fixing Minshew's rookie mistakes. Just time and development.
My point was, the kid isn't out here lighting up the stat sheet and being let down by the defense. He held the fort. Went 4-5. Fumbled at a clip like Bortles threw INTs.

Some people are clamoring for us to keep him in like we're taking a major step back with Foles.
As someone stated earlier, I dont put the losses all on GM.  Foles isnt a step back and isnt a step forward either.  He is basically the guy that, as Queencity said, some fans hope can do what he did in Philly here in jax.  Thats whats mind boggling to me.  Two different teams and situations, yet some ppl believe that doesnt matter.  Unless the line actually blocks better in the passing game and Foles starts lighting it up with 3 seconds or less releases, the only change i see is more boo's from the fans.  That'll be ironic in itself, due to the fact that some want this change and others dont.  In the words of the new generation, i want them to keep this same energy if the wheels fall off.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-06-2019, 10:36 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 10:23 AM)Kane Wrote: Firstly, NYC broke down the play calling of the last game, Minshew is missing some guys. But sure, I'll give you that we don't have Andy Reid but still..

As someone stated earlier, I dont put the losses all on GM.  Foles isnt a step back and isnt a step forward either.  He is basically the guy that, as Queencity said, some fans hope can do what he did in Philly here in jax.  Thats whats mind boggling to me.  Two different teams and situations, yet some ppl believe that doesnt matter.  Unless the line actually blocks better in the passing game and Foles starts lighting it up with 3 seconds or less releases, the only change i see is more boo's from the fans.  That'll be ironic in itself, due to the fact that some want this change and others dont.  In the words of the new generation, i want them to keep this same energy if the wheels fall off.

It's not that "it doesn't matter" - it's that some of us feel enough confidence in formulating our own opinions about a player's strengths and weaknesses beyond the players he's surrounded by. 

If people were unable to make these judgements no one would ever sign a free agent from a better team. Yet it happens in abundance every season. 

You are just obstinately refusing to make a judgement on what Foles may be capable of in the Jags offense while nearly everyone else has some idea in mind, right or wrong.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 11:04 AM by Kane.)

(11-06-2019, 10:36 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 10:23 AM)Kane Wrote: Firstly, NYC broke down the play calling of the last game, Minshew is missing some guys. But sure, I'll give you that we don't have Andy Reid but still..

I don't put it all on GM either. Don't get me wrong. I think he is our dude of the future. I just don't think he's quite ready yet.
I don't expect Foles to have a giant impact either to be honest, I just want to pump the brakes slightly on the Mania. Gardner Minshew played well for a rookie... but wasn't playing well enough to not try to go back to Foles, who was initially supposed to be the starter for 2 seasons.

I wouldn't be mad if they stuck with Minshew, but I totally understand why they made a change. Had Minshew went to London and lit the tinhorns terrible secondary up, the change wouldn't have been made (I don't care what Doug says)
And it wasn't totally on Minshew, but there have been spots where you can clearly see he is hesitant or reluctant or missing an open guy and the staff thinks the veteran won't miss those throws.

We shall see.

Also: our pass protection hasn't been as bad as some fans want to claim.
We're 14th in sacks allowed and at least 4-5 of those are on Minshew

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 11:36 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(11-06-2019, 10:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 10:36 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: As someone stated earlier, I dont put the losses all on GM.  Foles isnt a step back and isnt a step forward either.  He is basically the guy that, as Queencity said, some fans hope can do what he did in Philly here in jax.  Thats whats mind boggling to me.  Two different teams and situations, yet some ppl believe that doesnt matter.  Unless the line actually blocks better in the passing game and Foles starts lighting it up with 3 seconds or less releases, the only change i see is more boo's from the fans.  That'll be ironic in itself, due to the fact that some want this change and others dont.  In the words of the new generation, i want them to keep this same energy if the wheels fall off.

It's not that "it doesn't matter" - it's that some of us feel enough confidence in formulating our own opinions about a player's strengths and weaknesses beyond the players he's surrounded by. 

If people were unable to make these judgements no one would ever sign a free agent from a better team. Yet it happens in abundance every season. 

You are just obstinately refusing to make a judgement on what Foles may be capable of in the Jags offense while nearly everyone else has some idea in mind, right or wrong.

I feel that Foles is the type of QB that needs elite players and a tailored offense around him to be successful.  Thats the opinion i've formulated and i have not seen that with this offense yet.  We have players on the rise and dominating with the emergence of Minshew but seeing that with Foles is still TBD.  I understand that you have your opinion that he will be just fine and feel that his strengths are just his fruits reaped from great work ethic, experience, and God given abilities.  We differentiate on that and its fine.  I feel he is average and not the near elite QB that you can plug and play on different teams and see the same type of results.  Time will tell and feel free to blast me if im wrong.

(11-06-2019, 11:02 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 10:36 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: As someone stated earlier, I dont put the losses all on GM.  Foles isnt a step back and isnt a step forward either.  He is basically the guy that, as Queencity said, some fans hope can do what he did in Philly here in jax.  Thats whats mind boggling to me.  Two different teams and situations, yet some ppl believe that doesnt matter.  Unless the line actually blocks better in the passing game and Foles starts lighting it up with 3 seconds or less releases, the only change i see is more boo's from the fans.  That'll be ironic in itself, due to the fact that some want this change and others dont.  In the words of the new generation, i want them to keep this same energy if the wheels fall off.
I don't put it all on GM either. Don't get me wrong. I think he is our dude of the future. I just don't think he's quite ready yet.
I don't expect Foles to have a giant impact either to be honest, I just want to pump the brakes slightly on the Mania. Gardner Minshew played well for a rookie... but wasn't playing well enough to not try to go back to Foles, who was initially supposed to be the starter for 2 seasons.

I wouldn't be mad if they stuck with Minshew, but I totally understand why they made a change. Had Minshew went to London and lit the tinhorns terrible secondary up, the change wouldn't have been made (I don't care what Doug says)
And it wasn't totally on Minshew, but there have been spots where you can clearly see he is hesitant or reluctant or missing an open guy and the staff thinks the veteran won't miss those throws.

We shall see.

Also: our pass protection hasn't been as bad as some fans want to claim.
We're 14th in sacks allowed and at least 4-5 of those are on Minshew

True and that's why im more understanding of the move to go back to Foles.  Id rather let GM develop and just sit Foles but my job isnt the one on the line.  You pay him, you play him.  Thats the bottom line and i just hope im wrong due to wanting my/our team to be successful.  If im right then oh well.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

I've seen at least 12 posts that assume Minshew doesn't develop unless he's starting these remaining games.
Weird.

I wonder how many of these posters wanted this rookie or that rookie to learn on the bench their first season at some point in the past decade? You know, groom the rookie for a year then he can replace his mentor?
Hell - much of this board was livid about Gabbert and Bortles being thrown into the fire too soon.

It's such a common and frequently discussed methodology that I'm flummoxed as to how it is just suddenly cast aside as unacceptable by so many posters?? The bench may actually be the best place for 15 right now. It's worked for a number of QBs over the years.

QBs developing by playing or sitting is absolutely a case by case basis.

I just happen to value Minshew playing in this scenario given how the season has gone, the schedule and what the long term QB situation is. There's no set way to do it

(11-06-2019, 11:43 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've seen at least 12 posts that assume Minshew doesn't develop unless he's starting these remaining games.
Weird.

I wonder how many of these posters wanted this rookie or that rookie to learn on the bench their first season at some point in the past decade?  You know, groom the rookie for a year then he can replace his mentor?
Hell - much of this board was livid about Gabbert and Bortles being thrown into the fire too soon.

It's such a common and frequently discussed methodology that I'm flummoxed as to how it is just suddenly cast aside as unacceptable by so many posters??  The bench may actually be the best place for 15 right now. It's worked for a number of QBs over the years.

Yeah I don't get why people think sitting and watching Foles go to work won't help him (or at least won't be a hinderance)
A) Pressure is off him to "save the season"
2) He can go into film study and go over what Foles sees, does, etc
Z) Mahomes sat, Rodgers sat, Palmer sat, Smith sat, Rivers sat, Cutler sat.... and Minshew is a 6th round guy, there should be no pressure to start him right away, AND he's gotten some valuable game time already that he can use in the off season to know what to work on and what already is working.

Him sitting for 7 games isn't going to hinder his development at all.
There's no case of "oh if he started a full season as a rookie he would have developed better" anywhere that I can find.

(11-06-2019, 11:47 AM)JackCity Wrote: QBs developing by playing or sitting is absolutely a case by case basis.

I just happen to value Minshew playing in this scenario given how the season has gone, the schedule and what the long term QB situation is. There's no set way to do it

Explain the criteria for your different cases, then. 

Saying there's no set way to do it is fine, but there sure is a [BLEEP] ton of talk every single Spring about drafting a guy and sitting him for a year. Seems a pretty "set way" to me. 

I'm curious why Minshew suddenly won't benefit from this "luxury" of sitting that we so often talk about around draft time.

(11-06-2019, 12:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 11:47 AM)JackCity Wrote: QBs developing by playing or sitting is absolutely a case by case basis.

Explain the criteria for your different cases, then. 

Saying there's no set way to do it is fine, but there sure is a [BLEEP] ton of talk every single Spring about drafting a guy and sitting him for a year. Seems a pretty "set way" to me. 

I'm curious why Minshew suddenly won't benefit from this "luxury" of sitting that we so often talk about around draft time.
I'm curious to know how sitting him at this point will benefit him.

For me personally, I like to throw the rookies in to see if they can handle the speed of the game. I think you learn more from playing than you do watching but again, this is my own personal belief when it comes to rookie QBs. What actually helps a young QB though is having a great coaching staff around them. Reid with Mahomes, Lamar with Harbaugh, Watson with O'Brien, Wilson with Carroll..... Some of those QBs sat and some were thrown in right away but when you have a great coaching staff, that will help your QB more than if they sit or if they play.

(11-06-2019, 12:13 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 12:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Explain the criteria for your different cases, then. 

I'm curious to know how sitting him at this point will benefit him.

For me personally, I like to throw the rookies in to see if they can handle the speed of the game. I think you learn more from playing than you do watching but again, this is my own personal belief when it comes to rookie QBs. What actually helps a young QB though is having a great coaching staff around them. Reid with Mahomes, Lamar with Harbaugh, Watson with O'Brien, Wilson with Carroll..... Some of those QBs sat and some were thrown in right away but when you have a great coaching staff, that will help your QB more than if they sit or if they play.

It benefits him the way it does the countless rookies who intentionally receive that treatment every season? 

They get to learn from those with greater experience w/o the pressure of screwing up. 

In Minshew's case  - he now has some great stuff on tape to learn from and a guy who is likely to go out there and show him how getting rid of the ball faster/quicker decision making is something he needs to develop and polish. 

He'll get to grow his understanding of pre-snap reads and what the unexpected post snap looks might be. He's sometimes stumped when the first two guys are covered differently than he anticipated and he gets the happy feet and over anticipates pressure. This is great stuff to work on without 300 pounders trying to crush you. 

He's way ahead of the curve with x's and o's for a 6th round rook, but he's not just going out there and just dissecting defenses with authority. He's not quite there yet, and that's largely classroom stuff. 
Many of his flash plays are born out of improvisation when he doesn't have one of his early reads or he fails to make the correct initial decision with the ball. He then somehow finds a completion to an improvised route while scrambling.  That's a wonderful trait, but it's not a foundational building block. He still needs some foundational stuff so we aren't counting on intangibles and moxie to get us past tough opponents down the road. He's leaving some textbook stuff out there on the field that he can get better at/ smarter about while not playing.