Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Coaching Staff Speculation/Suggestion (merged)

(01-15-2020, 10:22 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 07:20 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: Like I said earlier.....get ready for another season of suckage.
When the fans stay away in droves next season....maybe "Doesn't know Football" Khan will get the message.
I'm done speculating.
Whats the message, that the fan base in Jax is soft as cotton balls?

Just we can expect another season of middle of the pack result if we're lucky or same as this past season if we're not.
Def will be at bottom of AFC South again.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-15-2020, 10:22 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 07:20 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: Like I said earlier.....get ready for another season of suckage.
When the fans stay away in droves next season....maybe "Doesn't know Football" Khan will get the message.
I'm done speculating.
Whats the message, that the fan base in Jax is soft as cotton balls?

(01-15-2020, 10:31 AM)Mowerguy Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 10:22 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Whats the message, that the fan base in Jax is soft as cotton balls?

Just we can expect another season of middle of the pack result if we're lucky or same as this past season if we're not.

So, you're not done speculating? 

Haha. 
Tongue

There is no telling where this ship is headed right now. When Caldwell and Marrone proclaim they "have a plan" to get back on track - we have no idea what that involves. 
It's hard for me to even dream up a scenario in which that plan doesn't involve equipping the defense to stop the run. 

The question is:  Can this F.O. acquire the talent necessary and can Marrone/Wash employ it successfully. 
Feels like a 50/50 proposition to me at best.

(01-15-2020, 10:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 10:22 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Whats the message, that the fan base in Jax is soft as cotton balls?

(01-15-2020, 10:31 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: Just we can expect another season of middle of the pack result if we're lucky or same as this past season if we're not.

So, you're not done speculating? 

Haha. 
Tongue

There is no telling where this ship is headed right now. When Caldwell and Marrone proclaim they "have a plan" to get back on track - we have no idea what that involves. 
It's hard for me to even dream up a scenario in which that plan doesn't involve equipping the defense to stop the run. 

The question is:  Can this F.O. acquire the talent necessary and can Marrone/Wash employ it successfully. 

I happily disagree and will wait till next season is over to see if the fans still seem smarter than the multi million dollar FO.  Some were optimistic before this season but others were looking at this season as another failure due to bad FO moves and coaching.  Being a fan isnt always about staying optimistic through the stupid decisions in the offseason and hoping success follows.  I know i will still be a fan even after more bad seasons but i just want better.  

Keeping this staff reeks of disaster for another year and i dont know if the Mania can keep fans entertained long enough before the season is a wrap.  I love this product and want to see it improve and get better.  Its hard at times when it seems like the men in charge want to stay at the bottom while lying about trying to reach the top.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(01-15-2020, 11:00 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 10:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: So, you're not done speculating? 

Haha. 
Tongue

I happily disagree and will wait till next season is over to see if the fans still seem smarter than the multi million dollar FO.  Some were optimistic before this season but others were looking at this season as another failure due to bad FO moves and coaching.  Being a fan isnt always about staying optimistic through the stupid decisions in the offseason and hoping success follows.  I know i will still be a fan even after more bad seasons but i just want better.  

Keeping this staff reeks of disaster for another year and i dont know if the Mania can keep fans entertained long enough before the season is a wrap.  I love this product and want to see it improve and get better.  Its hard at times when it seems like the men in charge want to stay at the bottom while lying about trying to reach the top.

The portion of my post you emphasized was speaking specifically about this "plan" that the GM and HC have devised. 
It wasn't a comment about fan optimism vs pessimism. Nor was it a comment about confidence in the current GM or HC. (both of which I advocated firing) 

It means very matter-of-factly that we don't know what their specific goals and targets are within this plan. 

• Are they going to focus on Minshew?
  • Will they tailor an offense to his strengths?
  • What direction are they aiming with offensive scheme?
  • How will they address the run defense?
  • Will Wash be forced to adjust a tired scheme?
  • Will O-Line issues be handled more via personnel change, scheme, or both? 
  • What's the plan to not be penalized to begin every other offensive series behind the eight ball? 
  • Are they aiming high for an OC hire or keeping lame duck expectations realistic? 
  • Do they realize and acknowledge that Myles Jack sucks in the middle and they overpaid him early?
  • What the hell are they going to do about CB2 and FS? 
  • Do they believe in Cam Robinson at LT? 
  • Do they realize Warhop is part of the problem with the front five? 
  • Is Marrone going to move away from this inane "dare you to stop us" power run scheme he's seemingly insisted upon from every coordinator?

These are things we don't know and this is what I'm talking about when I say there's no telling where this ship is headed. 

It's understandable that most fans don't trust DC/DM to sort these issues out. I know I have my doubts. 
But I'm aware that I don't know how they plan to attack these problems. 
You think you know. Fine.
Enjoy the false confidence/pessimism.

welp thanks for pointing out my faux pas.
like many here I've been a fan since the city was awarded a franchise.
Endured the good times and bad ....had very high hopes when it was sold to Khan.
Guess I've let the bb5 seasons coupled with "multi million dollar" FO mistakes get to me.
Sorry, Ill go back to my corner now.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-15-2020, 11:19 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: welp  thanks for pointing out my faux pas.
like many  here I've been a fan since the city was awarded a franchise.
Endured the good times and bad ....had very high hopes when it was sold to Khan.
Guess I've let the bb5 seasons coupled with "multi million dollar" FO mistakes get to me.
Sorry, Ill go back to my corner now.

No, you're good. I was seriously just messing with you, man. 
Nothing wrong with your outlook given everything that's happened with our Jags since that AFCCG. It's been a long series of disappointments. 

I'm not trying to come down on you or anyone else for not being optimistic. I'm having a very hard time finding silver linings myself. I just like to inject a little clarity or differing perspective here and there.

Anyone know where Wash is at? Is he at the senior bowl?

I really think the only changes that have been made is because the person wanted them to leave, not the Jags wanting them to leave.

Were going to end up with the guy that came 6th on DraftKings at OC next year arent we.

Cant believe Wade is still out there.

Just saw something that had Jason Garrett as our new OC. Nothing factual, just opinion. Stating that Flip was fired to make room for Garrett. It's all speculative, but what would everyone think if we brought Garrett in as OC?
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(01-15-2020, 01:39 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: Just saw something that had Jason Garrett as our new OC. Nothing factual, just opinion. Stating that Flip was fired to make room for Garrett. It's all speculative, but what would everyone think if we brought Garrett in as OC?

[Image: giphy.gif]

(01-15-2020, 01:39 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: Just saw something that had Jason Garrett as our new OC. Nothing factual, just opinion. Stating that Flip was fired to make room for Garrett. It's all speculative, but what would everyone think if we brought Garrett in as OC?

I think Garrett could be good for Minshew's development and he was a good coordinator in Dallas before his HC stint. 

They went 13-3, 9-7, 11-5, 6-10 with Garrett at OC and Romo at QB.
Romo threw for an average of 4047 yards per season in the his three healthy years while Garrett was OC.

It doesn't really matter. He isn't going to change much and they aren't getting anyone that will get the offense to be creative. At the end of the day, the offense has to score a lot of points or they are going to keep losing.

@NYC4jags - It's all good ....and I see no way for Doug and Dave to address the list you posted.
As they develop their plan for 2020 season.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2020, 09:17 PM by Brett.)

Sooo......Wash hasn't been fired yet. Does that mean he is here to stay since it hasn't happened yet or not necessarily?

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2020, 09:22 PM by Newton.)

(01-15-2020, 09:16 PM)Brett Wrote: Sooo......Wash hasn't been fired yet. Does that mean he is here to stay since it hasn't happened yet or not necessarily?

I expect Wash to stay. Regarding offensive coordinator, I bet we announce that someone has been promoted from within soon. I would love to have a big name, but that is my guess.

(01-15-2020, 09:16 PM)Brett Wrote: Sooo......Wash hasn't been fired yet. Does that mean he is here to stay since it hasn't happened yet or not necessarily?

I expect Wash to stay. Regarding offensive coordinator, I bet we announce that someone has been promoted from within soon. I would love to have a big name, but that is my guess.

Good for Minshew, definitely. Could be a HC in waiting with a shot at the job after the season if the team underachieves but his offense thrives. Or in week eight, whichever comes first.

Unless something's in the works and being kept very quiet, I think we're blessed with another year of Wash.

I think there's a good chance the Jags are waiting on an assistant coach that's still in the playoffs to interview at OC.

Scott Linehan has an interview tomorrow. He could be a good hire. He did pretty well in Dallas and Detroit

(01-17-2020, 10:23 AM)PS9 Wrote: Scott Linehan has an interview tomorrow. He could be a good hire. He did pretty well in Dallas and Detroit

He was brutal