Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Coaching Staff Speculation/Suggestion (merged)

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2020, 10:25 AM by surfon.)

Welp so are we going to at least see wash dismissed?  O line coaching def needs changed.  This better not mean no coaching staff changes.  Give me something that shows we are trying to get better at least.  Throw us some sort of bone.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We'll start hearing about it just before or just after January 13th according to Doug's comments at the presser.

Wash and Warhop are the principle offenders IMO, but it may be tough for a short leashed staff to attract the best assistant coaches, so, who knows what happens?

(01-01-2020, 10:24 AM)surfon Wrote: Welp so are we going to at least see wash dismissed?  O line coaching def needs changed.  This better not mean no coaching staff changes.  Give me something that shows we are trying to get better at least.  Throw us some sort of bone.

Probably not. One of the worst things about what Khan is doing is everyone in the league will perceive this as a situation about to blow up, and no decent coordinator candidates want to be a part of that. The Jaguars are essentially taking one more trip around the bowl before they head for the sewer.

I've heard the Dom Capers scenario bandied about as a replacement for Wash. That seems ideal.

A coach might take the job if he thought he'd get a chance to take over if/when Marrone fails.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(01-01-2020, 10:44 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: A coach might take the job if he thought he'd get a chance to take over if/when Marrone fails.

The only way that makes sense is you think the GM won't change. You can't hamstring the next GM anymore than this whole thing is already doing it by selecting their head coach for them.

Seriously, Capers was known for his blitz packages, wasn't he? You wouldn't even need to fire Wash, if they're worried about doing that - just demote him, and promote Capers.

Not doing anything is not acceptable. I've accepted that we're stuck with the current coaching, but just going into next year with the same basic plan is NOT gonna cut it. The running defense has been a weakness since 2017. Fix. It. Just drafting a player isn't going to do that; it takes some coaching too

I've resigned myself to accepting that the Oline is probably gonna be crap unless they start making certain players play on the interior, and bench other ones. But in any case I wouldn't be surprised at all if NO changes are made, either

Was not Capers already a Consultant with poor results?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-01-2020, 10:24 AM)surfon Wrote: Welp so are we going to at least see wash dismissed?  O line coaching def needs changed.  This better not mean no coaching staff changes.  Give me something that shows we are trying to get better at least.  Throw us some sort of bone.

Why would there be any changes?  Things are great as they are.

I’d keep an eye on Jim Schwartz. Rumor was Philly was thinking about making a change after their season ends and he and Marrone are good friends.

Jim’s wide 9 defense would be amazing with Ngakoue and Allen.

Nah, we good. Just need a couple run-stopping DL and 3 or 4 new LBs.

(01-01-2020, 12:47 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: I’d keep an eye on Jim Schwartz. Rumor was Philly was thinking about making a change after their season ends and he and Marrone are good friends.

Jim’s wide 9 defense would be amazing with Ngakoue and Allen.

Here's hoping Philly loses their first game.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(01-01-2020, 12:52 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Nah, we good.  Just need a couple run-stopping DL and 3 or 4 new LBs.

Wash is fine, all he needs is all pro level players at every level of the defense and we can be a top ten unit.

Highly unlikely Marrone fires his handpicked Oline coach. Wash I can see, Flip too. Argument to be made he didn't actually get full say on either of those

(01-01-2020, 01:49 PM)JackCity Wrote: Highly unlikely Marrone fires his handpicked Oline coach. Wash I can see, Flip too. Argument to be made he didn't actually get full say on either of those

He is not gonna fire Flip. Just because of Minshew. 

Flip started great then went to hell who knows why....

Don't forget that our QB coach (Scott Milanovich) is already leaving to be head coach in the CFL.

Tod Wash needs to be shown the door. Surely there is some young upstart who we could get that would be better, but who knows?

(01-01-2020, 02:21 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 01:49 PM)JackCity Wrote: Highly unlikely Marrone fires his handpicked Oline coach. Wash I can see, Flip too. Argument to be made he didn't actually get full say on either of those

He is not gonna fire Flip. Just because of Minshew. 

Flip started great then went to hell who knows why....

I'd be way more surprised at a Flip firing than a Wash one obviously but Flip was pretty terrible and Bevell was Marrones preferred choice apparently. Wouldn't be a shock if Marrone finally got in guys he wants with his new found power

Why are so many people excited about Capers? Anyone who followed any of the popular knowledgeable Packers twitter people, such as Justis or Fennell, would not be very enthused. They were extremely critical of him.

(01-01-2020, 03:01 PM)Upper Wrote: Why are so many people excited about Capers? Anyone who followed any of the popular knowledgeable Packers twitter people, such as Justis or Fennell, would not be very enthused. They were extremely critical of him.

Maybe because Wash is one of the worst DCs ever... but yeah, Capers is not that great.