Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Meyer falling apart already?

(09-16-2021, 10:49 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 10:46 AM)scottyg Wrote: Rico is referring to the crazy overreaction.  If we need to get rid of Meyer after one NFL game, then Trevor is clearly a bust for throwing 3 interceptions in said game.

Bingo

I get that the reference is to the overreaction, my point was that carrying that over to the QB is not necessarily as logical as Rico stated, based on the points I made.  And as far as overreacting - we're Jag fans - I know for me, being a fan since day 1, it's basically in my DNA to overreact and expect the worst - especially from the people in charge of putting the team together.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2021, 11:52 AM by scottyg. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-16-2021, 11:02 AM)Dewboy01 Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 10:49 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Bingo

I get that the reference is to the overreaction, my point was that carrying that over to the QB is not necessarily as logical as Rico stated, based on the points I made.  And as far as overreacting - we're Jag fans - I know for me, being a fan since day 1, it's basically in my DNA to overreact and expect the worst - especially from the people in charge of putting the team together.

Yeah, I get it.  There's no room for logic or reason here.  As a day 1 fan, my senses have taken a different route...  I'm so jaded by continual disappointment that I have trouble getting emotional about the team one way or the other any longer, so it's easier for me to take a wait and see approach.  In spite of all the foibles and red flags leading up to this game, there isn't a single one that's a deal breaker for me, and I'm not about to start screaming for Meyer's head at this point.

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2021, 12:52 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 2 times in total.)

(09-16-2021, 09:45 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 12:39 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Then take it to the modis already..

Yup.. Andy Reid was just dying to come here until they hired Meyer. I heard Reid was so depressed he went on suicide watch.

I ask this in all seriousness.

Why do you choose to read a thread titled as this one is, and then take umbrage with posters who echo the sentiment? Do you have any commentary or discussion about the topics at hand, or do you log in solely to gripe about the few people who are still committed enough to this team to want to engage in discussion, commiseration, prediction, or the like?

It gets just as tired to hear you bellyaching about the few posts we have to read as it is to hear everyone bellyaching about our continued futility. It's just the others' sentiments are being aimed at a franchise, while yours are directed at the very community you attempt to engage with. I can handle taking issue with a troll, or getting peeved if a person posts the exact comment in every thread, but come on.

The topic at hand is literally written as a question.  And the irony of your bellyaching about bellyaching about bellyaching post is just...

[Image: yummy-nick-jonas.gif]

(09-16-2021, 09:45 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 12:39 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Then take it to the modis already..

Yup.. Andy Reid was just dying to come here until they hired Meyer. I heard Reid was so depressed he went on suicide watch.

I ask this in all seriousness.

Why do you choose to read a thread titled as this one is, and then take umbrage with posters who echo the sentiment? Do you have any commentary or discussion about the topics at hand, or do you log in solely to gripe about the few people who are still committed enough to this team to want to engage in discussion, commiseration, prediction, or the like?

It gets just as tired to hear you bellyaching about the few posts we have to read as it is to hear everyone bellyaching about our continued futility. It's just the others' sentiments are being aimed at a franchise, while yours are directed at the very community you attempt to engage with. I can handle taking issue with a troll, or getting peeved if a person posts the exact comment in every thread, but come on.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47qnxy5uh956owitmn9a...y.gif&ct=g]
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2021, 01:19 PM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

Yes!! More hand wringing please!!

More velcro shoes and sporks!!
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(09-16-2021, 12:20 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 09:45 AM)Mikey Wrote: I ask this in all seriousness.

The topic at hand is literally written as a question.  And the irony of your bellyaching about bellyaching about bellyaching post is just...

you're right, the topic is a question, which is perfect for discussion. Nearly all of the participants in this thread have been voicing concern, requesting patience, or discussing points raised by others.

The person to whom my post was directed was doing little more than belittling the membership. It's not the first thread, either, where this has been the case. It's become a trend, and isn't doing anything to better the place, honestly. How should I have expressed my dissatisfaction with his continued attacks on posters, rather than the content they bring to the disccussion? Told him to jump off the modis?
I guess that's what we've devolved to.

There are plenty of threads that I choose not to partake in because I know it's either going to trigger me or be a fruitless effort to engage in meaningful exchanges. That's OK. In fact, it lends to a better enjoyment of my time on this board. Maybe Dinger would be happier not reading threads about the coach if the general concensus among the membership is skepticism or dismissiveness.

Lololol

(09-16-2021, 10:16 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 10:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I just explained the clear difference. If you can't recognize the distinctions in the circumstances, then I don't know what to tell you. They are not the same situations. These are completely different issues.

No, you supported only your stance.  I can just as easily say it was a highly successful college head coach's first NFL game.  If you can't recognize the similarities in the circumstances, then I don't know what to tell you.

They are CLEARLY different. A coach's main job is to have his team prepared mentally and physically. That doesn't change from college to the pros. All coaches in all sports need to have their team prepared every game day. That will never change. That's his main job and one of the reasons he probably sold himself to Khan in order to get hired. He was also given a lot of freedom to hire his own staff. Khan even said final decisions will be made by Meyer. He wanted this job. He actively pursued it. He told the fans the defense was overhauled and we were gonna be much better in that area and we went out and gave up 37 points to the worst team in the league. The coaches Meyer hired and the players he brought in, failed. The team was woefully unprepared, giving up stupid, inexcusable penalties. That is on Meyer for not having this team ready. He played Wingard over Cisco and Wingard stunk up the place. That is also directly on Meyer. This game wasn't about poor execution by the Jaguars. It was that they were unprepared. At times it looked like a Chinese fire drill. 

Now, lets look at Lawrence. He played minimally in a shortened preseason. Not his fault. He was missing his #1 receiver all preseason, due to injury. Also not his fault. He had no running game to rely on, because we gave that up once the penalties started racking up and the defense gave up so many points. That certainly wasn't his fault either. This was his very first full game as a pro and this coaching staff had him throw 51 times behind the worst O-Line in the NFL. Is that his fault? No. Did he make mistakes? Of course. Any rookie would, especially in that type of situation. He's a kid playing football on a much bigger stage than he's used to, on a much worse team than he's used to. Do I believe he would have performed better had the defense not given up so many points early on and had we run the ball more and not committed so many stupid penalties and forced him to throw so much in his first game? I believe he would. Undoubtedly, he still would have made some mistakes, but they wouldn't have been so glaring. 

Can you finally see the MAJOR differences here. It's pretty obvious.

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2021, 02:25 PM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-16-2021, 02:09 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 12:20 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The topic at hand is literally written as a question.  And the irony of your bellyaching about bellyaching about bellyaching post is just...

you're right, the topic is a question, which is perfect for discussion. Nearly all of the participants in this thread have been voicing concern, requesting patience, or discussing points raised by others.

The person to whom my post was directed was doing little more than belittling the membership. It's not the first thread, either, where this has been the case. It's become a trend, and isn't doing anything to better the place, honestly. How should I have expressed my dissatisfaction with his continued attacks on posters, rather than the content they bring to the disccussion? Told him to jump off the modis?
I guess that's what we've devolved to.

There are plenty of threads that I choose not to partake in because I know it's either going to trigger me or be a fruitless effort to engage in meaningful exchanges. That's OK. In fact, it lends to a better enjoyment of my time on this board. Maybe Dinger would be happier not reading threads about the coach if the general concensus among the membership is skepticism or dismissiveness.

Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

All your post told me was that you can dish it, but you can't take it..

(09-16-2021, 01:18 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Yes!! More hand wringing please!!

I admire you for going into the crossfire to fight a losing battle. Good luck convincing them

(09-16-2021, 02:25 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 01:18 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Yes!! More hand wringing please!!

I admire you for going into the crossfire to fight a losing battle. Good luck convincing them

Please.. these guys are a joke, more than this team.

(09-16-2021, 02:27 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 02:25 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: I admire you for going into the crossfire to fight a losing battle. Good luck convincing them

Please.. these guys are a joke, more than this team.

Lol. I was tepid about the hire but I am going to give it more then a couple games. Will say that it’s discouraging though.

(09-16-2021, 02:29 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 02:27 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Please.. these guys are a joke, more than this team.

Lol. I was tepid about the hire but I am going to give it more then a couple games. Will say that it’s discouraging though.

Definitely discouraging, not going to argue that. But to cry and whine after 1 game with a rookie QB and HC??!

Mucho Ridiculoso..

When you have a rookie QB and a rookie HC, the reality is to expect improvement from week to week.. Personally myself, I'm giving it until a quarter to half of the season to tighten up. As long as there's steady improvement, there's really nothing to gripe about for now.

We could go through the litany of missteps, poor decisions, and outright head-scratchingly bad moves this team has made since the Urban hire, but it's clear that the short memories can't remember back past last Sunday.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-16-2021, 02:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We could go through the litany of missteps, poor decisions, and outright head-scratchingly bad moves this team has made since the Urban hire, but it's clear that the short memories can't remember back past last Sunday.

Be that as it may, it’s still early to completely give up. That’s the point. 

The best example of can think of is Pete Carroll. He completely flamed out in his first NFL try, and in his second it took a couple seasons to get his groove. That’s best case scenario obviously.

(09-16-2021, 02:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We could go through the litany of missteps, poor decisions, and outright head-scratchingly bad moves this team has made since the Urban hire, but it's clear that the short memories can't remember back past last Sunday.

Don't you think those are the types of things I was talking about in my post above, as well?

There's plenty of blame to go around, coaching, play calling, execution of plays ect. It wasn't a complete failure, but it was close.. But it was also the first game of the season with this current regime.. I know everyone is used to losing around here, but jeez, give it a few games to see if they can pull it together before visiting your local psychiatrist..

(09-16-2021, 02:47 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:

Be that as it may, it’s still early to completely give up. That’s the point. 

The best example of can think of is Pete Carroll. He completely flamed out in his first NFL try, and in his second it took a couple seasons to get his groove. That’s best case scenario obviously.

Ummm, in your scenario we're the damn 1994 New York Jets.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-16-2021, 02:18 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 10:16 AM)RicoTx Wrote: No, you supported only your stance.  I can just as easily say it was a highly successful college head coach's first NFL game.  If you can't recognize the similarities in the circumstances, then I don't know what to tell you.

They are CLEARLY different. A coach's main job is to have his team prepared mentally and physically. That doesn't change from college to the pros. All coaches in all sports need to have their team prepared every game day. That will never change. That's his main job and one of the reasons he probably sold himself to Khan in order to get hired. He was also given a lot of freedom to hire his own staff. Khan even said final decisions will be made by Meyer. He wanted this job. He actively pursued it. He told the fans the defense was overhauled and we were gonna be much better in that area and we went out and gave up 37 points to the worst team in the league. The coaches Meyer hired and the players he brought in, failed. The team was woefully unprepared, giving up stupid, inexcusable penalties. That is on Meyer for not having this team ready. He played Wingard over Cisco and Wingard stunk up the place. That is also directly on Meyer. This game wasn't about poor execution by the Jaguars. It was that they were unprepared. At times it looked like a Chinese fire drill. 

Now, lets look at Lawrence. He played minimally in a shortened preseason. Not his fault. He was missing his #1 receiver all preseason, due to injury. Also not his fault. He had no running game to rely on, because we gave that up once the penalties started racking up and the defense gave up so many points. That certainly wasn't his fault either. This was his very first full game as a pro and this coaching staff had him throw 51 times behind the worst O-Line in the NFL. Is that his fault? No. Did he make mistakes? Of course. Any rookie would, especially in that type of situation. He's a kid playing football on a much bigger stage than he's used to, on a much worse team than he's used to. Do I believe he would have performed better had the defense not given up so many points early on and had we run the ball more and not committed so many stupid penalties and forced him to throw so much in his first game? I believe he would. Undoubtedly, he still would have made some mistakes, but they wouldn't have been so glaring. 

Can you finally see the MAJOR differences here. It's pretty obvious.

Just to shut you up so you don't pop a vein in your forehead, I'll agree.

Whatever.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(09-16-2021, 02:49 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:

Don't you think those are the types of things I was talking about in my post above, as well?

There's plenty of blame to go around, coaching, play calling, execution of plays ect. It wasn't a complete failure, but it was close.. But it was also the first game of the season with this current regime.. I know everyone is used to losing around here, but jeez, give it a few games to see if they can pull it together before visiting your local psychiatrist..

I'll be watching Sunday with very little hope that anything will be different in a positive way.