Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014, 10:23 AM by jtmoney.)

Quote:I never insinuated you said such

Again what Peterson did to this child, and his other child if true is horrible, and he should be banned and in jail. 

Somehow, you equate the fact that me being whipped as a child and relating to this experience as support for Peterson. It took awhile but the agenda is at play and full force now. 

I never got defensive, again it was a whipping I deserved. For whatever reason, you INCORRECTLY assumed I was abused.  If you think of it as such, then I will gladly proclaim (by your definition) I was abused. I came out fine and successful and thanked my parents for it. 

Forgot to add...

Not only do you not read what others write, you don't even know what you said.  "I guess you are pushing the agenda that spanking should be banned because its considered abuse since it involves hitting a child right?"  You didn't insinuate it, but you just insinuated it...  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I must have missed what you called me out on.

Not resorting to anything. You often times either don't read what is written or misread it. And you did it 2 or 3 times in this very thread.

What agenda am I pushing? That what AP did was wrong? If there is some other agenda that you think I'm pushing let me know. I'd love to read about it.

Remember, you were "trying" to keep this discussion strictly about Peterson, but on 2 separate responses you single-handed created separate responses insulated I am defending Pererson's actions. Talk about being a hypocrite, and a wrong hypocrite at that. 

Then you said because I was able to relate to this situation, that you automatically INCORRECTLY thought I was abused. You were called out for that. That's the agenda you are pushing.

For whatever reason, now you think I cant read. Either you are backtracking on what you said, or again is resorting to sour grapes for getting called out. 

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:No surprise on this end,  especially given the history of Vikings owner Zygi Wilf.  

The chances of Adrian Peterson ever playing a game for the Vikings again is probably no greater than 10 %. 

He's done with them.

I hate to be the conspiracy guy, but what if all this blows over and he goes to the Cowboys?

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:REALLY?! I didn't know that. I've only been telling you - and everyone else that agrees with you - that anecdotes are - and I quote - "hilariously inaccurate". I've also backed up my position with research, unlike you.

Technically speaking that statement is true, which is why I haven't argued against it specifically. Something technically being a form of discipline does not in any way mean that it is a good one or that it is one that we should use.

You are backing up your opinion, with researched opinions especially if the "studies" include the words "may", "but", etc.

I have an opinion as well, and I present it as such. You act like your opinion is what society only has to go by as fact.

The problem with you is that I am open to any form of punishment for a child being disobedient, but with you, the issue is you dont like any form of corporal punishment, which shows in the "studies" you provided. 

Here's where you appear to be defending Adrian Peterson:

Quote:Yep, and I had marks on me.

I didnt call Child services, because it was explained to me that to avoid future whippings, just be respectful, behave, and be honest.

No its not shocking.

Some people learn from both physical and verbal discipline.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I thought the answer was no, but I think you may be the only one to feel that way.

I was talking to a girl at work that doesn't watch football at all.  She barely knew about the Adrian Peterson issue....when I told her what he did and that he used a switch, she looked at me like I was crazy.  She said its in her culture and that she didn't see a problem with it.  I was surprised to see her side of it, but it helps me understand things a litlte bit more now.

I agree that he went too far (way way way too far, and I would never do anything remotely close to this), but this is what he knows and how he was raised.  Just because many of you dont believe in spanking or that type of punishment does not mean its wrong.  Its personal preference and an opinion....many here think their opinion is fact way too often.

Bingo!

Someone here gets it. 

Simple and to the point.

Quote:Here's where you appear to be defending Adrian Peterson:

I never said I defended Peterson's actions, I was speaking from my past experiences, and how I can relate to this situation.

Quote:I never said I defended Peterson's actions, I was speaking from my past experiences, and how I can relate to this situation.

And here's where I'm confused.

You said that you weren't abused.  You also said that marks were left on you.  Now unless those marks were just 'redness', I don't see how that's not defending Peterson's actions.  So I guess I'm asking for clarity here.

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014, 11:29 AM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

Quote:And here's where I'm confused.

You said that you weren't abused.  You also said that marks were left on you.  Now unless those marks were just 'redness', I don't see how that's not defending Peterson's actions.  So I guess I'm asking for clarity here.

I was whipped with a belt that left welps that cleared the next day. Im light skinned so they were easy to show.  I never got whipped with a branch, or extension cord. My parents would never take it to that level, and it was a quick 3 or 4 whips. That was followed by either apologizing for what I did, or an explanation of what NOT to do the next time to avoid another whipping.

The message got through to me. 

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014, 11:45 AM by Achilles.)

Quote:I thought the answer was no, but I think you may be the only one to feel that way.

I was talking to a girl at work that doesn't watch football at all.  She barely knew about the Adrian Peterson issue....when I told her what he did and that he used a switch, she looked at me like I was crazy.  She said its in her culture and that she didn't see a problem with it.  I was surprised to see her side of it, but it helps me understand things a litlte bit more now.

I agree that he went too far (way way way too far, and I would never do anything remotely close to this), but this is what he knows and how he was raised.  Just because many of you dont believe in spanking or that type of punishment does not mean its wrong.  Its personal preference and an opinion....many here think their opinion is fact way too often.

i grew up getting beatings, all of my brothers did, all 5 of them. my neighbors all disciplined their children the same way. ive had open wounds, bruises, welts.... one time when i was a little older my dad beat me with closed fists, i called the cops on that one, they came out to the house and said hes the man of the house, i was in the wrong, and if thats the way he chose to discipline me, that was his choice, that was only about 12 years ago.

i never pushed him to those limits again.

sometimes actions speak louder than words, if a parent chooses to use a switch then thats their choice, in my opinion.

edit: i will say any long term injury or a trip to the hospital or something along those lines NEEDED, then i say child abuse and thats not ok.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:i grew up getting beatings, all of my brothers did, all 5 of them. my neighbors all disciplined their children the same way. ive had open wounds, bruises, welts.... one time when i was a little older my dad beat me with closed fists, i called the cops on that one, they came out to the house and said hes the man of the house, i was in the wrong, and if thats the way he chose to discipline me, that was his choice, that was only about 12 years ago.

i never pushed him to those limits again.

sometimes actions speak louder than words, if a parent chooses to use a switch then thats their choice, in my opinion.

edit: i will say any long term injury or a trip to the hospital or something along those lines NEEDED, then i say child abuse and thats not ok.

"beat me with closed fists" wow man sorry that you had to endure that.

The fact that you use the word beatings to describe what happened to you should tell you that it was child abuse.  Unfortunately one major side effect of those beatings is that you truly believe it is acceptable to use the same abuse on children.

This was my point to James and any other supporters of whippings that feel like that since they were whipped and turned out seemingly fine then that means whipping a child should be acceptable.  It's not.  What your father did to you, as you described it beating you with closed fists and opening wounds or leaving welts, is wrong.  

Quote:Whipping is not child abuse if the child is not physically hurt or emotionally scarred.

You lose credibility trying to apply this same logic to an adult. People are trying to teach their kids right from wrong, respect, and honesty. Whipping your spouse makes you an abuser, not disciplinarian. 

Last time I check, slavery, child labor, drunk driving still exist. 

Im not "ok" if I believe disciplining a child is a good parenting. 

You really sound like one of those parents who call the police after seeing someone quick spank their child in the grocery store for misbehaving, claiming its child abuse.
AP son sure looked to be physically hurt in the week old pictures I saw.  As far as emotionally scarred, how are we to determine that?

You can teach your kids right from wrong without using the whip.  My brother and I, along with many others, can attest to that.  You still haven't explained how whipping a child is any different from whipping an adult.  Intent behind the whipping makes no matter, what does is the physical act of taking a whip or whip like branch to a child's bare skin.

Slavery, child labor and drunk driving do still exist.  Please show me where in America it is socially acceptable?  Beheadings still exist in the Middle East so I guess using your logic it is OK.

This will be the third time in this thread where I will state that I think an open handed spank to a child's clothed bottom can be acceptable, whipping a child is not.  Why you refuse to read this and comprehend this is beyond me.

Quote:"beat me with closed fists" wow man sorry that you had to endure that.

The fact that you use the word beatings to describe what happened to you should tell you that it was child abuse.  Unfortunately one major side effect of those beatings is that you truly believe it is acceptable to use the same abuse on children.

This was my point to James and any other supporters of whippings that feel like that since they were whipped and turned out seemingly fine then that means whipping a child should be acceptable.  It's not.  What your father did to you, as you described it beating you with closed fists and opening wounds or leaving welts, is wrong.  
IMO the belief that being beaten while growing up and accepting it as "I deserved it", sure seems very similar to battered spouse syndrome.... 

Just an observation.

Quote: This.

And thats been my whole entire point. 

In today's society, there are multiple ways parents can effectively discipline their kids.  People have become more educated on how corporal punishment effects a child psychological development. There are parents who cross the line and severely beat their kids to where that child is effected for life because of how their parent treated them. 

I go from responding to a mature adult above to this.

I believe in disciplining a child. 

Your lack of class is really showing.
Please tell me about class, supporter of whipping a child's bare skin.  That is priceless.

Might I also remind you that AP had a two year old child die last year.  The cause of this death was due to ABUSE by the hands of the child's mothers new boyfriend.  AP's son dies of child abuse yet he still continues to abuse his children.

Quote:AP son sure looked to be physically hurt in the week old pictures I saw.  As far as emotionally scarred, how are we to determine that?

You can teach your kids right from wrong without using the whip.  My brother and I, along with many others, can attest to that.  You still haven't explained how whipping a child is any different from whipping an adult.  Intent behind the whipping makes no matter, what does is the physical act of taking a whip or whip like branch to a child's bare skin.

Slavery, child labor and drunk driving do still exist.  Please show me where in America it is socially acceptable?  Beheadings still exist in the Middle East so I guess using your logic it is OK.

This will be the third time in this thread where I will state that I think an open handed spank to a child's clothed bottom can be acceptable, whipping a child is not.  Why you refuse to read this and comprehend this is beyond me.

Nobody can determine how the child will be emotionally until he enters his teenage and adult years, that when we will see how the abuse has effected him.

Listen, I already said there are multiple ways to discipline your child. People are different, you along with a few others have a extremely hard time grasping that.

I already explained how whipping a child is different than whipping an adult in my previous response to you, go back and reread it.

I said slavery, child labor, and drunk driving still exist, never did I say it was acceptable, again go back to my previous response to you.  Why the hell are you comparing this to terrorism? You are not making any sense at all with your comparisons. 

You have an opinion as to why you think whipping is unacceptable, I have an opinion as to why it is acceptable as a reasonable means of discipline, except for injury and abuse.

Do yourself a favor and stop trying to change other people opinions. 

Quote:Please tell me about class, supporter of whipping a child's bare skin.  That is priceless.

Might I also remind you that AP had a two year old child die last year.  The cause of this death was due to ABUSE by the hands of the child's mothers new boyfriend.  AP's son dies of child abuse yet he still continues to abuse his children.

You have no class by calling someone a "idiot" because they have a difference of opinion from you. 

I already said earlier in this thread that if the allegations are true regarding the circumstances around Peterson's second child, he deserves to be suspended and jailed on child abuse charges.

Quote:IMO the belief that being beaten while growing up and accepting it as "I deserved it", sure seems very similar to battered spouse syndrome.... 

Just an observation.

Lol, not even close.  If I was a jerk when I was a kid, so if my parents decided to spank me so I remember not to do it again...so bet it.  I learned from it and moved on.  I am an educated enough person to look back on what happened as an adult, and I'm ok with it. 

I may be in the minority, but my parents spanked me for a reason.  They didnt beat me up, they did it as a tool to learn.  I also spent time in my room, time in the corner, things taken away, etc....it was just one of the many tools.

Too many of you are taking a mild spanking that what I believe most parents give, and making it out to be nightly beatings.

Quote:IMO the belief that being beaten while growing up and accepting it as "I deserved it", sure seems very similar to battered spouse syndrome....

Just an observation.

I never said I deserved it but my point is it was just temporary pain and it taught me what I was doing was wrong.

Now there are certainly more ways I could have learned that lesson but you can't tell someone how to parent their kids as long as they don't go over that permanent injury or hospitalization line.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Interesting...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...nk-it.html

If a coach or teacher ever hit one of my kids, I think I'd knock them out if my wife didn't get to them first.

Quote:Interesting...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...nk-it.html

If a coach or teacher ever hit one of my kids, I think I'd knock them out if my wife didn't get to them first.

I believe if a child was paddled or whatever in the US, they have to get the parents permission.

I wouldn't let someone else discipline my kid like that, but then again I would also find out what the alternative punishment was and how much school would be missed.