Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
New York Giants hire David Tyree who is against Gay Marriage

Quote:<_<

That would be another last comment? Tongue
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2014, 08:21 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:So then you're okay with gays getting married as long as we all know you don't support it or believe in it? Is that what you're trying to say?

I'm pro traditional marriage. I don't support gay marriage, but I also won't begrudge them their equality. 

I used to be take an even more hard stance against it - meaning I didn't want them using "marriage" - for religious reasons, as I felt that was sacred....I was accepting of their right to pretty much the same thing but calling it a "civil union", wheras they would have gotten every benefit a regular married couple would have just not labeling it "marriage". 

However, someone on this very forum (I actually forget who) kinda made me pause a bit on that hardline that I took with not wanting them to label it "marriage" when it was pointed out to me that 2 athiests are able to get married and its still called "marriage". That kinda was a "wow....you're right" moment....so, while I doubt I'll ever stray from my ideal of a marriage being for a man + a woman, I'm willing to not be totally closed minded on the issue. 

Quote:I'm pro traditional marriage. I don't support gay marriage, but I also won't begrudge them their equality. 

I used to be take an even more hard stance against it - meaning I didn't want them using "marriage" - for religious reasons, as I felt that was sacred....I was accepting of their right to pretty much the same thing but calling it a "civil union", wheras they would have gotten every benefit a regular married couple would have just not labeling it "marriage". 

However, someone on this very forum (I actually forget who) kinda made me pause a bit on that hardline that I took with not wanting them to label it "marriage" when it was pointed out to me that 2 athiests are able to get married and its still called "marriage". That kinda was a "wow....you're right" moment....so, while I doubt I'll ever stray from my ideal of a marriage being for a man + a woman, I'm willing to not be totally closed minded on the issue.

That's a very reasonable stance to have...and basically what's at the root of the whole argument. You (in general...not you specific) don't have to believe in gay marriage, just don't stop others from doing it just because of what you believe.

In the grand scheme of things...gay marriage isn't going to change anyone's lives but the individuals that can now get married.

Quote:I'll guess what I think D6 is trying to say in regards to the "connection"...

There was a time when homosexuality was considered "taboo" or perversive by a large majority of people....in current society, its increasingly not seen as that way, with the help of the interest groups that are bullying their ideas, and maybe also via the ease for anyone to obtain x rated movies via the internet....Most people understand that once something is gained, it usually doesn't just "stop" there....a fringe will want more and more and become bored with the "status quo"...when being gay isn't enough to satisfy their sexual desires, then what?....then they seek something else to satisfy their needs....could it evolve into legal pedophelia? incest? polygamy?? Who knows what road it will evolve into?? I'd bet few people saw where we are now regarding homosexuality being "normal" 60 years ago....

I know the thread has evolved since this response, but could the basis of your response be from gay men having sex in bathhouses during the height of the AIDS epidemic?

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

You lost me..
Only a chump boos the home team!

I think in time people will become even more

Comfortable with homosexuality. Interestingly the rate of atheism is growing pretty quickly and I think that will probably benefit the homosexual community.

Quote:Interestingly the rate of atheism is growing pretty quickly and I think that will probably benefit the homosexual community.

It might, or it might not. 

If it continues, I doubt it benefits society as a whole. 

Quote:I think in time people will become even more

Comfortable with homosexuality. Interestingly the rate of atheism is growing pretty quickly and I think that will probably benefit the homosexual community.

What consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home is up to them. I don't want to see it, I don't think it will lead to society normalizing pedophilia either, I've heard those ridiculous arguments before. 

It has little to do with individuals rejecting traditional values and more with society moving towards a live and let live view point. 

When people try to legislate morality the only that is sacrificed is liberty, 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:It might, or it might not.

If it continues, I doubt it benefits society as a whole.
I don't think it would hurt it either. People can believe anything they want but their actions rarely seem to back their beliefs.

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014, 12:05 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I don't think it would hurt it either. People can believe anything they want but their actions rarely seem to back their beliefs.

I probably cannot go into why I totally disagree that it won't hurt society as a whole (without violating the CoC), but I strongly feel it would be a negative. 

Quote:What consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home is up to them. I don't want to see it, I don't think it will lead to society normalizing pedophilia either, I've heard those ridiculous arguments before. 

It has little to do with individuals rejecting traditional values and more with society moving towards a live and let live view point. 

When people try to legislate morality the only that is sacrificed is liberty,

Well said Eric!

Well, if anything this thread has separated those of us who can debate intelligently, and effectively articulate an original thought, from those of us who are The Mad Dog.

I mean...just incredible, the amount of thoughtless parroting of the boilerplate Fox News fear-mongering rhetoric.

Kudos to Kotite and Bunny for some really eloquent and well articulated thoughts on the matter.

Now, being that I have political tendencies from both sides of the aisle, I was looking forward to a good conservative debate on the subject. Sadly, all that was available from posters representing the right was slippery slope arguments involving pedophilia and Nazi Germany. Because damnit, if the potential for child rape isn't enough to get you scared, genocide surely should!

BOOGETY-BOO! The gays are coming! Everyone with "tradition/judgemental" values run scared, because when the gays get done with your children, they are going to line you up in the streets and march you to the furnace.

And when The Mad Dog comes to put me in my place (masterfully and intelligently) by LOL'ng and labeling me the new four letter word- Liberal, I'll just point out that there are plenty of issues that I lean conservative on.

It just so happens that I believe strongly in equality, and I am absolutely disgusted by institutionalized discrimination, no matter the reason or alleged belief that supposedly grants you carte blanch to pass judgement and dictate how people live their own lives.

Shame on anyone who hides behind some ambiguous, amorphous label such as "my beliefs" in order to justify attempting to deprive someone of their equality, strictly because that person doesn't look, talk or act like them.

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014, 10:57 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote: 

I don't hate gays nor do I deprive them of their equality.

My biggest issue has always been the Liberals trying to FORCE their agenda/ mindthink at every turn, being they control the media and largely control education.  

Quote: 

...and guess what? I am ONE HUNDRED PERCENT against that. I believe that no person should be discriminated against just because they are gay.

Quote: 

I have no issue with homosexuals & equality
. I do not believe they should be discriminated against
. A person should never lose their job because they're gay, and that should not be any determining factor in one person getting employment either way. 

They deserve any right that I would have as a straight person. 

Quote:Well, if anything this thread has separated those of us who can debate intelligently, and effectively articulate an original thought, from those of us who are The Mad Dog...

...And when The Mad Dog....

It just so happens that I believe strongly in equality, and I am absolutely disgusted by institutionalized discrimination, no matter the reason or alleged belief that supposedly grants you carte blanch to pass judgement and dictate how people live their own lives.

Shame on anyone who hides behind some ambiguous, amorphous label such as "my beliefs" in order to justify attempting to deprive someone of their equality, strictly because that person doesn't look, talk or act like them.

Looks like I also believe strongly in equality. 

Its funny how throughout this thread, because I stated certain opinions on this subject that people did not like, certain people had to misrepresent other key opinions I also hold on the subject. I've been firm with the above, but still, more than once did someone accuse me directly/ or indirectly of not being for homosexual's equality. 

I guess its much easier to bash on someone if you twist their opinion and make it appear worse than it actually is. 

Liberals have never been known for their ethics in debate  anything. 

Quote:Looks like I also believe strongly in equality. 

Its funny how throughout this thread, because I stated certain opinions on this subject that people did not like, certain people had to misrepresent other key opinions I also hold on the subject. I've been firm with the above, but still, more than once did someone accuse me directly/ or indirectly of not being for homosexual's equality. 

I guess its much easier to bash on someone if you twist their opinion and make it appear worse than it actually is. 

Liberals have never been known for their ethics in debate  anything. 

And conservatives have never been known to let reality get in the way of their view of the world.

Seriously, you only serve to undermine your arguments when you try to ascribe labels to people.

Freedom from religious tyranny is one of the cornerstones of true liberalism, which is the root of libertarianism and democratic liberalism. The two parties disagree about how to achieve it (liberals believe that authority is necessary to maintain freedom while libertarians believe authority automatically precludes freedom) but really both ideologically consistent parties agree on what they're really after.

It's when you start getting into the bizarre self contradicting behavior of modern day right-wingers (like freedom from government tyranny for everyone except women, who need to be forced to have invasive ultrasounds before they can seek medical help) that politics starts to devolve into what we typically see.

Quote:Looks like I also believe strongly in equality.

Liberals have never been known for their ethics in <del>debate </del> anything.

As in the ethical treatment of people who don't necessarily look or act like yourself?

Ethical, as in not implying that a person's lifestyle is perverse and will ultimately lead to pedophilia.

You lecturing anyone on ethics is beyond laughable.

Quote:I probably cannot go into why I totally disagree that it won't hurt society as a whole (without violating the CoC), but I strongly feel it would be a negative.
if we are ever freely allowed to discuss religion we can debate it another time. For now, we can just disagree civilly.

no different than hiring someone who is openly racist and has "scientific proof that black people cant be good quarter backs or coaches". if you feel this way your a bad hire.

And cause I was a gazillionaire, and I liked doin it so much, I cut that grass for free.

Hey look at me I want my cake and to keep eating it too.  You have values and believe in the rule of law... *****gasp get out of here you darn conservative.  The purposeful dividing of America over perceived slights is to the point where debate is being eliminated.  I don't want to win over anyone's mind, I just want my points of views "allowed".

Polygamy is all consenting adults where is the slippery slope there?  Why aren't the activist judges overturning those marriage rules?  That's the privacy of the bed room standard right?

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Just playing devils advocate, but shouldn't it be the same way for someone who feels the opposite?  There are a lot of outspoken players for gay marriage, but nobody worries if they are offending anyone.

Quote:Well...uhmmm, ...eerrrrr, uhhhh,.... thats because that doesn't matter. 
Amazing.

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2014, 12:57 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Amazing.

edit: n/m