Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles: 2019 starter? (merged)

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2019, 03:41 PM by scottyg.)

(01-07-2019, 02:23 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 12:41 PM)scottyg Wrote: I really like Bortles, and I was truly hoping he would take the next step as a QB after showing improvement last season.  However, nobody can reasonably argue that he wasn't a mistake...  He shouldn't have been signed to an extension, and money definitely should not have been pushed out into the future on that contract.  He Did get better last season, but looking back after that ridiculously bad 2016 season, it's easy to see that not drafting his potential replacement was a huge mistake as well.

I would be even more shocked if Blake was still on the roster to start next season than I was that the team stood pat at the QB position after 2016.  Bottom line is, teams don't typically keep franchise defining mistakes in the building.

It doesn't matter that extending Blake was a mistake or that most teams don't typically keep a starter the following year as a backup. None of that matters. The only thing that matters is what is best for this team moving forward, and the best thing this team can do is to not overspend even more at the position. The best way to do that is to hang onto Blake for one more season while preparing a franchise rookie to take over when he's ready. Mind the cap and protect our future.

Keep in mind here that cutting and Blake and going after a top FA is only going to screw over our cap for someone that's really not at all any better than Blake. The top guys out there would be Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater and Fitzpatrick, but all three are going to cost a ton of money we just don't have, and I really don't see any of them doing tremendously behind the OL that the Jaguars fielded this past season. The additional cost for just keeping Blake is peanuts by comparison, and he'll be easy to move on from once we can say "Haskins is ready," etc.

Honestly, I feel like most of the fans out there advocating we just cut Blake simply have very little clue about just how bad our cap situation is.

Personally, I'm not advocating for anything.  I realize that $16mil has already been spent on Bortles for next year regardless of anything the team does, and looking at it logically, the $5.5mil that Bortles is owed for next year if kept on the roster is a relatively small amount. 
However, demoting him and still keeping him would be kind of like firing Bradley and re-hiring him to be the defensive coordinator.  Honestly, we could do a lot worse, but teams usually want to get the stink of failure out of the building.

I love Blake and wish he could have improved on last year's season, but signing him to an extension was clearly a fail.  As Oehser is so fond of saying, "Sometimes it's time to move on."

Regardless, I'm going to have a hard time getting excited about the QB position for some time...  I'm not interested in over-paying for a free agent.  I'm not interested in waiting for a rookie draft pick to be good enough.  And it's apparent that Blake simply isn't good enough.  I guess I'm just screwed for the next couple of years or so.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-07-2019, 03:07 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: He could be back if they can't find a veteran through either a trade or free agency.  I do not want to see the team trade away picks for Haskins due to his limited experience.

I'm really not that concerned about his limited experience considering how much he's done in such a short time. I do think he needs to sit and learn the pro set, and for that matter, his limited experience might be a plus because, unlike a guy like Grier, he hasn't been tied down to his college spread system for many years. I feel like it would take Grier a much longer time to adjust to being a drop back qb.  Haskins has arm talent... he has leg talent... he has talent... he has "it." I'll gladly give up whatever picks I need to in order to land the guy, with Lock being my consolation option if there's just flat out no way to get Haskins.

I'm well aware of Blake's shortcomings, however, we're going to have to spend far more of our cap to get another guy who at best would only be marginally better.
'02

(01-07-2019, 03:40 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 02:23 PM)Jags02 Wrote: It doesn't matter that extending Blake was a mistake or that most teams don't typically keep a starter the following year as a backup. None of that matters. The only thing that matters is what is best for this team moving forward, and the best thing this team can do is to not overspend even more at the position. The best way to do that is to hang onto Blake for one more season while preparing a franchise rookie to take over when he's ready. Mind the cap and protect our future.

Keep in mind here that cutting and Blake and going after a top FA is only going to screw over our cap for someone that's really not at all any better than Blake. The top guys out there would be Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater and Fitzpatrick, but all three are going to cost a ton of money we just don't have, and I really don't see any of them doing tremendously behind the OL that the Jaguars fielded this past season. The additional cost for just keeping Blake is peanuts by comparison, and he'll be easy to move on from once we can say "Haskins is ready," etc.

Honestly, I feel like most of the fans out there advocating we just cut Blake simply have very little clue about just how bad our cap situation is.

Personally, I'm not advocating for anything.  I realize that $16mil has already been spent on Bortles for next year regardless of anything the team does, and looking at it logically, the $5.5mil that Bortles is owed for next year if kept on the roster is a relatively small amount. 
However, demoting him and still keeping him would be kind of like firing Bradley and re-hiring him to be the defensive coordinator.  Honestly, we could do a lot worse, but teams usually want to get the stink of failure out of the building.

I love Blake and wish he could have improved on last year's season, but signing him to an extension was clearly a fail.  As Oehser is so fond of saying, "Sometimes it's time to move on."

Regardless, I'm going to have a hard time getting excited about the QB position for some time...  I'm not interested in over-paying for a free agent.  I'm not interested in waiting for a rookie draft pick to be good enough.  And it's apparent that Blake simply isn't good enough.  I guess I'm just screwed for the next couple of years or so.

I like the comparison to keeping Gus as the DC, however, there's no cap to consider with coaches. When it comes to what to do with Blake, the cap has to be the primary consideration. Sure it might be a little awkward to see him as the backup next year, but the players are pros and will deal with it just fine. As for the fans, we'll all come around when the team starts winning again. 
'02

(01-07-2019, 02:23 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 12:41 PM)scottyg Wrote: I really like Bortles, and I was truly hoping he would take the next step as a QB after showing improvement last season.  However, nobody can reasonably argue that he wasn't a mistake...  He shouldn't have been signed to an extension, and money definitely should not have been pushed out into the future on that contract.  He Did get better last season, but looking back after that ridiculously bad 2016 season, it's easy to see that not drafting his potential replacement was a huge mistake as well.

I would be even more shocked if Blake was still on the roster to start next season than I was that the team stood pat at the QB position after 2016.  Bottom line is, teams don't typically keep franchise defining mistakes in the building.

It doesn't matter that extending Blake was a mistake or that most teams don't typically keep a starter the following year as a backup. None of that matters. The only thing that matters is what is best for this team moving forward, and the best thing this team can do is to not overspend even more at the position. The best way to do that is to hang onto Blake for one more season while preparing a franchise rookie to take over when he's ready. Mind the cap and protect our future.

@Nathan Peterman should be affordable@

(You hit the nail on the head, 02.)

Nate Peterman, he turrible. Probably worse than Bortles.

Blake Borts will be back better than ever in 2019. Let Borts tune up in Cali with QB guru Tommy House and Borts will be throwing darts in 2019 in route to a mvp season.

(01-07-2019, 05:00 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Blake Borts will be back better than ever in 2019. Let Borts tune up in Cali with QB guru Tommy House and Borts will be throwing darts in 2019 in route to a mvp season.

Yup, he's getting his Masters degree after he finishes the course on How to Throw a Spiral.

maybe wait a year and see if trevor lawrence turns pro
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

It better be April Fools Day when the team announces a Bortles will be retained in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(01-07-2019, 10:29 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: maybe wait a year and see if trevor lawrence turns pro

The Patriots will get him. He’ll be eligible for the draft about the time Brady starts to fade fast. They’ll trade the farm for the pick, or go 0-16 in 2020.

(01-08-2019, 12:21 AM)Shelley Thompson Wrote: It better be April Fools Day when the team announces a Bortles will be retained in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More like Groundhog Day, so don't drive angry.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2019, 10:48 AM by imtheblkranger.)

(01-07-2019, 10:29 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: maybe wait a year and see if trevor lawrence turns pro

Came here to say this. Keep Blake for the next two years to keep us picking high when Spicoli comes out in 2 years

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2019, 11:15 AM by Cleatwood.)

(01-08-2019, 10:44 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:

Came here to say this. Keep Blake for the next two years to keep us picking high when Spicoli comes out in 2 years
Maybe just never draft a QB and keep waiting for the next great one to come out....

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2019, 11:14 AM by Mowerguy.)

I'm glad doing draft picks isn't my job......much easier being an armchair GM.   Big Grin
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-07-2019, 03:46 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 03:40 PM)scottyg Wrote: Personally, I'm not advocating for anything.  I realize that $16mil has already been spent on Bortles for next year regardless of anything the team does, and looking at it logically, the $5.5mil that Bortles is owed for next year if kept on the roster is a relatively small amount. 

I like the comparison to keeping Gus as the DC, however, there's no cap to consider with coaches. When it comes to what to do with Blake, the cap has to be the primary consideration. Sure it might be a little awkward to see him as the backup next year, but the players are pros and will deal with it just fine. As for the fans, we'll all come around when the team starts winning again. 

02 is right, the more you look into it and the cap rammifications, the only truly logical thing to do is keep Bortles and draft his replacement. Cutting Bortles and signing a veteran QB is essentially a lateral move for a lot more money, and would probably mean unwanted cuts next season and cap difficulties further down the line, which we really can't afford.

On the other hand, logic is not the only thing to consider in this situation. There is also the psychological effect that it could have on the team and fanbase. We could be looking at a very negative vibe around this team.

It's difficult.

(01-08-2019, 11:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-08-2019, 10:44 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Came here to say this. Keep Blake for the next two years to keep us picking high when Spicoli comes out in 2 years
Maybe just never draft a QB and keep waiting for the next great one to come out....

I mean, there was a level of sarcasm in my post. That being said, if we are in position to take him, we should

(01-08-2019, 12:10 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 03:46 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I like the comparison to keeping Gus as the DC, however, there's no cap to consider with coaches. When it comes to what to do with Blake, the cap has to be the primary consideration. Sure it might be a little awkward to see him as the backup next year, but the players are pros and will deal with it just fine. As for the fans, we'll all come around when the team starts winning again. 

02 is right, the more you look into it and the cap rammifications, the only truly logical thing to do is keep Bortles and draft his replacement. Cutting Bortles and signing a veteran QB is essentially a lateral move for a lot more money, and would probably mean unwanted cuts next season and cap difficulties further down the line, which we really can't afford.

On the other hand, logic is not the only thing to consider in this situation. There is also the psychological effect that it could have on the team and fanbase. We could be looking at a very negative vibe around this team.

It's difficult.

Even though it flies in the face of financial logic, I expect Bortles will be released to remove the stigma of failure.  I wish he would have been successful and hope he can find success.  Dude is The People's Quarterback IMO.

Unless we actually use common sense and stop being predictable on first and second down almost every series most of the game then Blake might as well Henne it and clipboard. Dont even put him on the field because you know he is not TB12 where one pass on 3rd down is all he needs. This gameplanning and staff in general on offense is asinine. Like i would prefer a teenager to coach and call plays on Offense better than we've been, even last yr playoffs or not.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

Marrone said it had nothing to do with JD knowing Foles as to why he was selected. He was hired because of his work with QB and how he changed them. Maybe he has some thoughts on how to use and get the best out of BB5. Because good blake is pretty good.

"What did come into play is someone that has ability, has been around veteran quarterbacks, has been around rookie quarterbacks, has been around a quarterback that came up and went on to do things well," Marrone said. "So when you look at John, he had (Carson) Wentz, Foles as the quarterback's coach, then you have someone (Kirk) Cousins that comes along, Derek Carr. So there was a lot of good variety in the types of players that he's had and the types of players that he looked at. So for him, along with (QB coach) Scott Milanovich, obviously you feel good about the evaluation coming from the coaching side on the quarterbacks."

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2019, 12:38 PM by Cleatwood.)

(01-17-2019, 10:53 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Marrone said it had nothing to do with JD knowing Foles as to why he was selected. He was hired because of his work with QB and how he changed them. Maybe he has some thoughts on how to use and get the best out of BB5. Because good blake is pretty good.

"What did come into play is someone that has ability, has been around veteran quarterbacks, has been around rookie quarterbacks, has been around a quarterback that came up and went on to do things well," Marrone said. "So when you look at John, he had (Carson) Wentz, Foles as the quarterback's coach, then you have someone (Kirk) Cousins that comes along, Derek Carr. So there was a lot of good variety in the types of players that he's had and the types of players that he looked at. So for him, along with (QB coach) Scott Milanovich, obviously you feel good about the evaluation coming from the coaching side on the quarterbacks."
Man. You really need to let it go.

Your creeping on Troll territory.