Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Day 3 at the draft

Anyone know why Trey Smith keeps dropping?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-01-2021, 02:47 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 02:32 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I'm not at the point where I hate this draft, but I'm the least enthused about this draft (TL aside) since the Gene Smith drafts.

There are some things that can change my mind.

If Campbell becomes a Pro Bowl player and Little upgrades one of the T positions, this draft changes dramatically for me.

But right now...I'm meh about it.

I would agree.  Outside of TL, I'm very meh about this draft as well.  I'm very willing to change my mind if the players work out.  I'm definitely rooting for them.  Drafts do tend to be educated guesses.  I do think Walker Little is likely the key.  He's an A or F player.  Some think he was an early first round quality left tackle prior to the injury and then opting out.  If he plays at that level, this draft will be remembered fondly.  If he flops, that's a bad miss.  There's also a number of other players who I think could be good.  The question is will they and were there better players left on the table.

That is my issue with everything in round two and beyond except Little. There were other players available who graded higher both at their positions and overall when Baalke chose them.  We definitely did not upgrade our GM.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(05-01-2021, 02:57 PM)burt1jason Wrote: I think we knock the Undrafted Free Agency out of the park. ?

I could see it going either way. This class was the last class that Meyer recruited so there is a chance that he has previous connections with a lot of these players that might help.

On the flip side, as was reported by Dilla (who is a Meyer fanboy fwiw) Meyer had 6 priority free agents for this offseason and he struck out on all 6 of them. So maybe Meyer's draw doesn't have the same effect with adults who aren't convinced that Meyer's inexperience in the NFL is the best path for their development.

(05-01-2021, 02:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 02:42 PM)Sibelius Wrote: naw, the point is that nodding your head and smiling like an idiot with each pick is mentally vacant. And when you see a team making picks that appear irrational, there's no reason NOT to call the team out for it.

Exactly. There's so many new people on this board during the draft that want to praise every pick the team makes, then they disappear forever. You know there are internet companies now that hire people to go on message boards and praise their products? I wonder if these posters are plants, hired by the team? I bet 99% of these first time posters disappear after the draft.

There are often an influx of new fans during a draft (see this board after we picked Matt Jones).  I think that effect is magnified this year given Trevor Lawrence. But I agree completely that being a Stepford fan is no better than reflexively bashing everything the team does.  There's a whole lot of nuance in between those two extremes that make discussing on the boards enjoyable.  That's what I look for and that's what I often strive for in my posts...the angle I never considered that changes the analysis...the angle that can challenge a dominant but perhaps faulty paradigm.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(05-01-2021, 03:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 02:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Exactly. There's so many new people on this board during the draft that want to praise every pick the team makes, then they disappear forever. You know there are internet companies now that hire people to go on message boards and praise their products? I wonder if these posters are plants, hired by the team? I bet 99% of these first time posters disappear after the draft.

There are often an influx of new fans during a draft (see this board after we picked Matt Jones).  I think that effect is magnified this year given Trevor Lawrence. But I agree completely that being a Stepford fan is no better than reflexively bashing everything the team does.  There's a whole lot of nuance in between those two extremes that make discussing on the boards enjoyable.  That's what I look for and that's what I often strive for in my posts...the angle I never considered that changes the analysis...the angle that can challenge a dominant but perhaps faulty paradigm.

Omg.. Remember that? All the Sooooeeeeee PIG screen names? Hahaha

That was horrible lolol
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I agree with you guys, this draft has felt like a bit of a missed opportunity. We have so many holes and pretty much any pick in the first 4 rounds could be a starter but just feels we could have done better.

Sadly that's the same way I felt after FA. Added some talent but missed out on positions like TE which we are desperate for.

(05-01-2021, 03:14 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 03:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote: There are often an influx of new fans during a draft (see this board after we picked Matt Jones).  I think that effect is magnified this year given Trevor Lawrence. But I agree completely that being a Stepford fan is no better than reflexively bashing everything the team does.  There's a whole lot of nuance in between those two extremes that make discussing on the boards enjoyable.  That's what I look for and that's what I often strive for in my posts...the angle I never considered that changes the analysis...the angle that can challenge a dominant but perhaps faulty paradigm.

Omg.. Remember that? All the Sooooeeeeee PIG screen names? Hahaha

That was horrible lolol

Well, I think a reasonable expectation is to see something similar happen now.

Some will be local fans who, for whatever reason, weren't previously interested in the Jaguars but were piqued by Trevor Lawrence.  Some will be fans who follow TL from Clemson like they did with Matt Jones and the many Gators fans who became Washington fans due to Spurrier and Broncos fans because of Tebow.  Some will be early bandwagon jumpers who want to get ahead of the game.

I think the only thing that will slow that is the fact this board is no longer directly affiliated with the Jacksonville Jaguars website.

(05-01-2021, 02:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 02:42 PM)Sibelius Wrote: naw, the point is that nodding your head and smiling like an idiot with each pick is mentally vacant. And when you see a team making picks that appear irrational, there's no reason NOT to call the team out for it.

Exactly. There's so many new people on this board during the draft that want to praise every pick the team makes, then they disappear forever. You know there are internet companies now that hire people to go on message boards and praise their products? I wonder if these posters are plants, hired by the team? I bet 99% of these first time posters disappear after the draft.
dude you literally just joined this message board a few years ago... from what I got reading the past few days is... unless they pick exactly who you want their idiots... apparently you are the say all end all master draft picker.... You should quit your day job and go work for a scouting team...

(05-01-2021, 03:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 03:14 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Omg.. Remember that? All the Sooooeeeeee PIG screen names? Hahaha

That was horrible lolol

Well, I think a reasonable expectation is to see something similar happen now.

Some will be local fans who, for whatever reason, weren't previously interested in the Jaguars but were piqued by Trevor Lawrence.  Some will be fans who follow TL from Clemson like they did with Matt Jones and the many Gators fans who became Washington fans due to Spurrier and Broncos fans because of Tebow.  Some will be early bandwagon jumpers who want to get ahead of the game.

I think the only thing that will slow that is the fact this board is no longer directly affiliated with the Jacksonville Jaguars website.

Remember when we were like a Times Union column/want ad kinda site?

We come a long way dude..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

The draft is not an exact science. Weathermen are probably more accurate. No one knows if these guys will be any good or not until they take the field next season and play against NFL talent. In the past it has amazed me how many people take the grades given a teams draft seriously. In fact we have been given high grades in the past and had lesser results. I guess someone has to write that stuff. I wonder if they believe it themselves. It is the current managements reputation on the line no one else's so I am glad they appear to be doing what they feel is best despite what the talking heads feel.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

This Board has been especially enjoyable the past 3 days. It's always entertaining to read the comments of all the armchair General Managers following the Jaguars draft choices. After observing the previous posts of the regulars, it's not too hard to predict what their comments will be about each player selected. Thanks to all the moderators and others who have made this sight informative, entertaining and an outlet for Jaguars fans to share their thoughts. With that being said, these are my thoughts about the 2021 draft class:

1. My hopes for this franchise have never been higher due to the selection of Trevor Lawrence. We were given the once in a lifetime opportunity to draft a generational talent. There is no way I'd give this class a grade lower than "B" following the Lawrence selection. That would even be the case if Gene Smith took over and drafted 8 players from schools we never heard of before.

2. After Lawrence, the best picks to me were Etienne and Cisco. At first I was not very positive about this pick since it didn't meet one of the team's major needs. However, the more I thought about what Etienne can add to the offense, the more I liked it. He will be a weapon in many ways; both he and Robinson can contribute greatly and if one gets hurt the offense should not skip a beat. Cisco provides the defense with a true ballhawk. Had he not gotten hurt last season, it is possible he would have been the top safety on everyone's boards. Getting him at 65 was great value.

3. My biggest disappointment was not getting Freirmuth at 45. He may never be a Travis Kelsey or Kyle Pitts, but he will be a very reliable tight end in the NFL for several years. If they trade for Hurst, losing Freirmuth will not hurt so much. I hope the Jaguars try to make this happen.

4. If Walker Little is truly 100% healthy and gets into playing shape, his selection will be the thing that puts this class over the top. Since he was considered the number 1 left tackle by many following the 2018 season, it's not really that far-fetched to believe he will become their starting left tackle sometime this season or next. He is also capable of playing right tackle in case Taylor doesn't rebound this season. Yes, he is a risky pick but to get him where they did is worth the risk since his upside is so good. In a perfect world, they would have taken Freirmutth at 45 and then traded up for Little, but those things rarely happen.

5. If the stories about D.J. Henderson are true, the Tyson Campbell pick looks much better. If his ball skills improve, no one will regret this selection.

6. With all the changes on the roster, it is unrealistic to believe the Jags will win more than 6 or 7 games this season. However, there is no reason they cannot become serious contenders to win the AFC South as early as the 2022-23 season. And yes, I do believe Lawrence will take the team to at least one Super Bowl during his time here.

7. I don't question the pessimism of some on this Board - even after the drafting of Lawrence. Our fans have been disappointed too many times to not have some skepticism at this point. However, the future seems bright for the first time in a while.

Our final 2021 selection is WR Jalen Camp from GA. Tech.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(05-01-2021, 03:07 PM)Cable Wrote: Anyone know why Trey Smith keeps dropping?

Medical concerns? He has blood clots in his lungs previously but hasn’t missed a game in 2 years. He’s already posted about how furious he is that he’s dropped. He already started following Etienne, Shinault and some other guys on Twitter. Wonder if he’s one of the priority UDFAs we are gonna shoot for?

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(05-01-2021, 04:47 PM)NH3 Wrote: Our final 2021 selection is WR Jalen Camp from GA. Tech.

NH3...

Apparently he has a monster pro day and has all the measurables you want. He didn't have much production on a bad Georgia Tech team.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-01-2021, 04:45 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: This Board has been especially enjoyable the past 3 days. It's always entertaining to read the comments of all the armchair General Managers following the Jaguars draft choices. After observing the previous posts of the regulars, it's not too hard to predict what their comments will be about each player selected. Thanks to all the moderators and others who have made this sight informative, entertaining and an outlet for Jaguars fans to share their thoughts. With that being said, these are my thoughts about the 2021 draft class:

1. My hopes for this franchise have never been higher due to the selection of Trevor Lawrence. We were given the once in a lifetime opportunity to draft a generational talent. There is no way I'd give this class a grade lower than "B" following the Lawrence selection. That would even be the case if Gene Smith took over and drafted 8 players from schools we never heard of before.

2. After Lawrence, the best picks to me were Etienne and Cisco. At first I was not very positive about this pick since it didn't meet one of the team's major needs. However, the more I thought about what Etienne can add to the offense, the more I liked it. He will be a weapon in many ways; both he and Robinson can contribute greatly and if one gets hurt the offense should not skip a beat. Cisco provides the defense with a true ballhawk. Had he not gotten hurt last season, it is possible he would have been the top safety on everyone's boards. Getting him at 65 was great value.

3. My biggest disappointment was not getting Freirmuth at 45. He may never be a Travis Kelsey or Kyle Pitts, but he will be a very reliable tight end in the NFL for several years. If they trade for Hurst, losing Freirmuth will not hurt so much. I hope the Jaguars try to make this happen.

4. If Walker Little is truly 100% healthy and gets into playing shape, his selection will be the thing that puts this class over the top. Since he was considered the number 1 left tackle by many following the 2018 season, it's not really that far-fetched to believe he will become their starting left tackle sometime this season or next. He is also capable of playing right tackle in case Taylor doesn't rebound this season. Yes, he is a risky pick but to get him where they did is worth the risk since his upside is so good. In a perfect world, they would have taken Freirmutth at 45 and then traded up for Little, but those things rarely happen.

5. If the stories about D.J. Henderson are true, the Tyson Campbell pick looks much better. If his ball skills improve, no one will regret this selection.

6. With all the changes on the roster, it is unrealistic to believe the Jags will win more than 6 or 7 games this season. However, there is no reason they cannot become serious contenders to win the AFC South as early as the 2022-23 season. And yes, I do believe Lawrence will take the team to at least one Super Bowl during his time here.

7. I don't question the pessimism of some on this Board - even after the drafting of Lawrence. Our fans have been disappointed too many times to not have some skepticism at this point. However, the future seems bright for the first time in a while.

Well Said.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2021, 05:31 PM by JagFanatic24.)

Remember when we picked up Julius Thomas at TE? I think Trevor will make our currents TE’s better.

(05-01-2021, 04:45 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: This Board has been especially enjoyable the past 3 days. It's always entertaining to read the comments of all the armchair General Managers following the Jaguars draft choices. After observing the previous posts of the regulars, it's not too hard to predict what their comments will be about each player selected. Thanks to all the moderators and others who have made this sight informative, entertaining and an outlet for Jaguars fans to share their thoughts. With that being said, these are my thoughts about the 2021 draft class:

Very well said bro. This class isn’t bad at all in my eyes. The Trevor pick alone is what this city and this franchise needed! Oh by the way we got the best RB in the country and a ball hawking safety. Little and Campbell are both sneaky good picks. The Farrell pick was Urban Meyer’s all the way. And he’s the best blocking TE in the draft. 

Can’t wait til next FA and Draft where we can go for it.

(05-01-2021, 03:07 PM)Cable Wrote: Anyone know why Trey Smith keeps dropping?

Has to be medical issues with the blood clotting.

I am selfishly hoping he goes undrafted, then we sign him, Deonte Brown, and Dylan Moses as UDFA.

(05-01-2021, 05:26 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Remember when we picked up Julius Thomas at TE? I think Trevor will make our currents TE’s better.

Very well said bro. This class isn’t bad at all in my eyes. The Trevor pick alone is what this city and this franchise needed! Oh by the way we got the best RB in the country and a ball hawking safety. Little and Campbell are both sneaky good picks. The Farrell pick was Urban Meyer’s all the way. And he’s the best blocking TE in the draft. 

Thanks. Yea, one more draft class and group of free agents should put this team where it wants to be to contend.

(05-01-2021, 05:26 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Remember when we picked up Julius Thomas at TE? I think Trevor will make our currents TE’s better.

Yeah. I think all the picks will be fine. I question drafting a blocking TE when what we really need at TE is one that can catch. Hopefully that gets addressed in UDFA or a trade. 

We have to allow Urban to grow into an NFL coach. Just wish he had been paired with a truly good GM. Regardless, the culture and attitude change is worth the growing pains. 

I’m hyped for the future of the team. Ordered my teal #16 today.  Smile
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(05-01-2021, 02:32 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I'm not at the point where I hate this draft, but I'm the least enthused about this draft (TL aside) since the Gene Smith drafts.

There are some things that can change my mind.

If Campbell becomes a Pro Bowl player and Little upgrades one of the T positions, this draft changes dramatically for me.

But right now...I'm meh about it.

I'm feeling the opposite of that.  The first two picks are guys I never dreamed we could get on this team.  The rest?  Wait and see.  But Lawrence and Etienne?  Fantastic.  

I apparently have a different opinion of Travis Etienne than most other posters around here.  I think he's a really special player.