Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags release Fournette!!

(09-08-2020, 05:06 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 03:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote: See...I don't see that about being a slam at the Jaguars.

Think back to his college career.

Did LSU have any semblance of a passing game when he was there?

Of course not.

I can't speak to what happened with him in high school.

But can anyone successfully argue that Bortles was a good QB?

Foles played 11 plays here, got hurt, missed half the season, played three games and wasn't close to what was expected;.  Minshew came in as a rookie, and wasn't going to take safeties out of the box.

Face it, Fournette was right.

Whether it's true or not, it still shouldn't be said. Quite frankly he's a turd for doing so. But we knew that already.
A "turd" for telling the truth from his perspective and experience?!?

If he came out and said Bortles, Foles, and Minshew were the greatest QBs ever, would that make the message better somewhow?

People would slam him for his insincerity or seriously question his knowledge of football.

The difference between Brady-even at this late stage of his career-and every QB he played with until then is HUGE. Add the skill players he has around him now, it's easy to see why he feels like he should have more room to run and not feel like the sole target a defense has to contend with.

Could he have been more delicate with his wording?  Sure.  But you don't draft players for being wordsmiths.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2983...-really-qb

He just trashed Jaguars qbs.

(09-08-2020, 07:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 05:06 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Whether it's true or not, it still shouldn't be said. Quite frankly he's a turd for doing so. But we knew that already.

If he came out and said Bortles, Foles, and Minshew were the greatest QBs ever, would that make the message better somewhow?

People would slam him for his insincerity or seriously question his knowledge of football.

The difference between Brady-even at this late stage of his career-and every QB he played with until then is HUGE. Add the skill players he has around him now, it's easy to see why he feels like he should have more room to run and not feel like the sole target a defense has to contend with.

Could he have been more delicate with his wording?  Sure.  But you don't draft players for being wordsmiths.

If Fournette was an adult and not the petulant turd he is, he would just say nothing. He could say how he's looking forward to working with a QB of Brady's caliber without crapping on his past QBs. Not sure why you had to turn that into a binary, that if he shouldn't crap on his former teammates, he then must heap praise on them? The appropriate response was to do neither.

(09-08-2020, 03:50 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 03:12 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Anddddd he opens his mouth and runs it:

I mean I get feeling that way privately about Bortles, but this team put up with a lot from his immature actions and Minshew gave his all under center.

Wishing him nothing but mediocrity

That kind of statement, "For the first time in my life I have a quarterback..." is why I would not want him on my team.  Whether he liked Bortles and Minshew or not, those were his teammates, and there was no good reason for him to make such a statement.  

It's like during the last offseason, when he was campaigning for the Jags to sign Cam Newton.  That kind of stuff is not acceptable.  You want everyone pulling in the same direction.  You don't want a guy saying "Let's sign this other QB" with the extremely obvious implication that he has no confidence in the guy currently under center.  How is the current QB supposed to feel about that?

Now there may well have been other things that led to his demise here, but I can't defend those things.  Not only because I don't know everything that happened behind the scenes that escaped the public eye, but because those things are irrelevant to the statement in question.

He may well have been a poor teammate overall, but he could have made those statements without meaning it as a dig at the Jaguars.

Turn this around a little bit. 

As fans, we all come onto this board and pontificate over the performances of certain players, playcalling, who the team should cut, who the team should sign, and who the team should draft.

If we make those analysis in good faith, do we necessarily mean it as a dig against the team, such that our loyalties are in question?  In most cases, absolutely not.

Even the Cam Newton advocacy you referenced was understandable, even though I was against signing Newton.  At his best, Newton is a league MVP who led Carolina to a Super Bowl appearance.  While Minshew has shown some good things and is popular, we don't know what his ceiling is.  Was offering that analysis awkward to Minshew? 

Yeah.

But again, it could have been offered honestly, in good faith, and without any malicious intent.

He's gone now, so at the end of the day, it doesn't matter much either way.  Turd or not, he's gone.

But this discussion epitomizes what I have always said about fnas, coaches and media hacks can say what they want about anything football related, but the guys who have the most bearing on the outcome of games and seasons-the players-have little right to their own opinions.

(09-08-2020, 07:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 05:06 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Whether it's true or not, it still shouldn't be said. Quite frankly he's a turd for doing so. But we knew that already.

Nah you draft them to be good.

There are middle school RBs that have better vision than that intellectual midget.

(09-08-2020, 07:19 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2983...-really-qb

He just trashed Jaguars qbs.

No he didn't.

I draw your attention to the 6th and 7th paragraphs of the article, which state

Quote:The Bucs, with one of the NFL's highest-powered passing attacks last season with a league-high 4,845 passing yards, but also an inconsistent ground game, saw a loaded box on just 21.5% of snaps last year -- third lowest in the NFL.

Fournette not only won't be the focal point of the Bucs' offense, he won't be the feature back, with coach Bruce Arians saying last week that Ronald Jones will remain the starter, with LeSean McCoy listed as second on the depth chart.

The writer made those observations...not Fournette.

Later in the 11th paragraph he has the chance to really trash some Jaguars players and coaches publicly.  This is what he said...

Quote:When asked why things didn't work out in Jacksonville, Fournette said, "I don't know. Time changes everything. I'm moving past that. My time there was great. I made a bond with a lot of the coaches and some of the players -- that's my brothers for life, and some of those coaches I built a relationship with -- things happen. I guess it wasn't God's plan -- God had other things for me to do. ... I'm moving on from it."

There's no "there" there.  If you have ever heard the phrase that "some people are looking for reasons to be offended..." I think it applies here.

(09-08-2020, 07:33 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 07:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote: A "turd" for telling the truth from his perspective and experience?!?

Nah you draft them to be good.

There are middle school RBs that have better vision than that intellectual midget.

Maybe he didn't have the best vision.  He wasn't the best possible draft choice for this team in 2017.

He's certainly not here now.

But his statement may not have been the vindictive slam some of you are portraying it.

Now my cynical side wants to address your top statement-you draft them to be good.

I'm wondering if the Jaguars do, because they too often don't reward the players who are.  Too many of them are leaving this team way too early.

Fournette is not build for this day and age football.  He can be good but will never be great.  He is build for like a 1985 style of play.  Huge offensive lines, double tight end, fb sets.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(09-08-2020, 07:28 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 07:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote: A "turd" for telling the truth from his perspective and experience?!?

If Fournette was an adult and not the petulant turd he is, he would just say nothing. He could say how he's looking forward to working with a QB of Brady's caliber without crapping on his past QBs. Not sure why you had to turn that into a binary, that if he shouldn't crap on his former teammates, he then must heap praise on them? The appropriate response was to do neither.

Now how would silence have been received?

I don't care enough to look up the transcript of the press conference, but I can't imagine a favorable response to a "no comment" or literal silence on the topic of leaving Jacksonville and coming to Tampa.

Fournette says "No comment," Jaguars fans would see it as a dig at Jacksonville.

Fournette says "If I can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all..." Jaguars fans would see it as a dig at Jacksonville.

Fournette literally remains silent at the press conference, media trashes him for erratic press conference.

If any recently released/traded former Jaguar should be knocked for his statements since leaving, it should be Harrison.

(09-08-2020, 07:48 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Fournette is not build for this day and age football.  He can be good but will never be great.  He is build for like a 1985 style of play.  Huge offensive lines, double tight end, fb sets.

Do you mean big backs can't thrive in today's NFL?

I mean I get feeling that way privately about Bortles, but this team put up with a lot from his immature actions and Minshew gave his all under center.

To be fair, he isn't wrong. We haven't had a real QB here since Mark Brunell. I'm hoping Minshew can be that guy, but we have to wait and see.

Kind of reminds me of when Trent Richardson was going to be great because he was going to have Luck. He continued getting his 3 yards a carry.

Great backs make yards no matter the QB. Look at MJD in the Gabbert years. If Tampa Bay don't turn into a complete disaster this year I'll be shocked.

(09-08-2020, 09:12 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Kind of reminds me of when Trent Richardson was going to be great because he was going to have Luck. He continued getting his 3 yards a carry.

Great backs make yards no matter the QB. Look at MJD in the Gabbert years. If Tampa Bay don't turn into a complete disaster this year I'll be shocked.

I don't doubt we'll see him running into his linemen, still, but Brady will probably get into the best plays for him every time, so maybe now he'll be 3.74nette instead of just 3.4nette.

(09-08-2020, 03:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

See...I don't see that about being a slam at the Jaguars.

Of course not.

Foles played 11 plays here, got hurt, missed half the season, played three games and wasn't close to what was expected;.  Minshew came in as a rookie, and wasn't going to take safeties out of the box.

It was a straight shot at Minshew, probably why some of the players wanted him off the team.  He already wanted the team to bring in another QB when his QB won 7 rookie of the week awards instead of having his QBs back.  Minshew could take a shot at him with the bad vision and not living no where close to his draft stock but im sure he won't.  Not 1 team in the league claimed him when he was on waivers is all you need to know what the rest of the league thinks about him.

Can't disagree with him. Even Minshew hasn't shown he can be the man yet. Tom Brady is more about legend than life IMO.

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2020, 11:03 PM by lastonealive.)

Trying to think of the Patriots league leading running backs under Brady...nope

Their two leading ball carriers in 2019 had whopping 3.7 and 3.9 per carry averages. I mean this theory sounds good, but Fournette is still not going to break tackles or have good vision.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2020, 12:14 PM by Kane.)

(09-08-2020, 09:12 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Kind of reminds me of when Trent Richardson was going to be great because he was going to have Luck. He continued getting his 3 yards a carry.

Peterson for most of his career didn't have good QB play.

(09-08-2020, 09:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 03:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote: See...I don't see that about being a slam at the Jaguars.

Of course not.

It was a straight shot at Minshew, probably why some of the players wanted him off the team.  He already wanted the team to bring in another QB when his QB won 7 rookie of the week awards instead of having his QBs back.  Minshew could take a shot at him with the bad vision and not living no where close to his draft stock but im sure he won't.  Not 1 team in the league claimed him when he was on waivers is all you need to know what the rest of the league thinks about him.

Indeed.
He first fired his shot at Minshew when he campaigned for the team to sign Cam Newton.
Probably had a few things to say in the locker room or on field which led to the story of players allegedly wanting him gone.
Then first chance he gets he throws out "finally got a real QB" instead of "excited to work with the GOAT" or "a legend".

(09-09-2020, 12:09 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 09:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It was a straight shot at Minshew, probably why some of the players wanted him off the team.  He already wanted the team to bring in another QB when his QB won 7 rookie of the week awards instead of having his QBs back.  Minshew could take a shot at him with the bad vision and not living no where close to his draft stock but im sure he won't.  Not 1 team in the league claimed him when he was on waivers is all you need to know what the rest of the league thinks about him.

Indeed.
He first fired his shot at Minshew when he campaigned for the team to sign Cam Newton.
Probably had a few things to say in the locker room or on field which led to the story of players allegedly wanting him gone.
Then first chance he gets he throws out "finally got a real QB" instead of "excited to work with the GOAT" or "a legend".

100% agree with your take and FL's.

Fournette knew exactly what he was doing when he decided to try and recruit Newton.

Whatever though, he's outta here and I've moved on - just ready to watch any RB who can manage to break a tackle or two.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2020, 07:05 PM by Newton.)

Fournette is about to find out what its like to be on a team when you are just a guy. He complained and moaned when he did not get enough carries here. He is not going to be force-fed in Tampa, and if he struggles, it will be a RB by committee.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2020, 07:37 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2020/9/9/2...th-captain

“I think that’s a big jump because you know that the guys in the locker room support you and they want you to succeed, as opposed to wishing that somebody else was quarterback.”

DJ Chark talks Gardner Minshew, the locker room, and a young (and hopeful!) Jacksonville Jaguars team.

Clear shot at Fournette