Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why Gus Bradley's Defense hasnt worked

FgallosJAGS you dont think a team like Seattle would trade Earl Thomas for say M. Lewis... j/k

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:QBs aren't targeting McCray which is the big reason as to why he's not piling up meaningless stats. He's shutting down his guy as he's asked to do. PFF uses Yards per cover snap to measure a CB. Here's what that particular metric measures:

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/13/sig-stats-ypcs-cornerbacks/'>https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/13/sig-stats-ypcs-cornerbacks/</a>

Care to see where and what company McCray is ranked among?

Regardless of who we draft Skuta will play heavily. Again you don't pay a guy 20 mil to play backup. If that was the plan they would've just retained JT Thomas for almost half the cost.

If anything the rookie will look to get rotational reps with Skuta if we go that direction.

This defense for the majority of our games came out on fire only to wear down after the ummtenth 3 and out. With even an average offense the defense would show marked improvement.
I'll admit I didnt fully read the article (and still havent completely) but I did notice further down they have Ball as being the best CB on the Jaguars....

so the McCray thing is again a bit over hyped...

I think it's more likely that we draft a corner with the intent of switching him to safety. The FS crop this year is average at best.

Y'all gonna learn about Damarious Randall. Everyone who knows him love him, and the NFL knows him. Would be surprised if he lasts until our 3rd round pick, and would be quite happy w/ him as our FS of the future at pick 36.

Quote: So you actually think he is elite or on par with those based purely off this, because I think we both know thats not true. I don't even know why you linked this because i just referenced it.

And If lets say Vic Beasely is drafted and plays better than Skuta, then he will play.

I think he more than held his own against the opposition last year. You won't find many highlights of him getting beat last year. I think he has what it takes to be a very very good CB in this league.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Let me begin by quoting what I actually said that seemed to upset you;

The other problem is at Corner back, despite the hype the young CBs played below average. The team was in the Top5 all season long with Sacks yet the DBs were the worst at INT & Pass Defenses.

I never called out McCray specifically so I assume you agree that the other CBs played below average but argue about McCray's being lumped with the rest of them?

The stat YPCS, Yard Per Cover Snap, is interesting when you look at R. Mathis ranked 7th below McCray with 643 snaps along with Revis ranked 8th (King of Free Agency) with 606 coverage snaps having a 0.86 & a 0.92 compared to McCrays .78 yet Revis was on the winning SuperBowl team & Mathis on Post Season Lions. What did PFF actually score McCray as far as Coverage Grade?

I think Gratz for whatever reason took a step back but I also think the CB play opposite of McCray improved when Colvin was inserted into the lineup. Do you not think the unit will improve with the addition of House and hopefully continued development from Colvin?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote: I actually think they made a really strong effort for mccourty, but he just wanted to stay where he was at. There just wasnt anything we could do.

I agree.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2015, 02:05 PM by P. Haze.)

1. Why do people think Gus Bradley invented the defense they use in Seattle?

2. We're not taking Dante Fowler.

3. The defense doesn't work here because Gus Bradley sucks.

4. If McCray was so below average the Jaguars had way enough money to replace him but didn't. Why? Because the man played some of the best ball this team has seen at that position in forever.

Quote:

Y'all gonna learn about Damarious Randall.
Everyone who knows him love him, and the NFL knows him. Would be surprised if he lasts until our 3rd round pick, and would be quite happy w/ him as our FS of the future at pick 36.

I'm already on that train.

Quote:I'm already on that train.
Sweet. He has a visit already lined up with the Jags, and we had a large contingent at his pro day, so maybe we'll get lucky.

A defense can only be so good anymore in the NFL; you need first downs and possession time.  We haven't had any offensive potency in ages. I think the defense has been one of the better units in the league so if it isn't quite working yet imagine when it has all the pieces. Defenses wear down as games and the season goes. That's why Chip Kelly's high speed offense is a joke because if it's not controlling the game their defense gets whipped pretty quick. Our defense hasn't really been able to be opportunistic in its approach because we're always playing catch up. When the other offense is never taking any chances the INT's and sacks go down. Red Bryant wasn't anywhere close to what he was hyped up to be either.

No pain, no gain.

An above average FS makes this defense A LOT better instantly.  

The LB situation has been in constant flux, but hasn't been as big of a problem.  Gap fits against the run have been way too inconsistent though -  but when you've got  a rotating cast of UDFAs and camp-cut-cast-offs manning MLB and Sam..... that happens. 

LB Should be better moving forward. 

The line will be fine and has played pretty well mostly - with moments of suck here and there.  

FS is the main issue in this discussion IMO.  In a coverage scheme that "funnels action" to the middle  -- you can't have a sub-par player manning the middle. 

As the old saying goes, players not plays.

If you don't have a fit, nothing works.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Y'all gonna learn about Damarious Randall. Everyone who knows him love him, and the NFL knows him. Would be surprised if he lasts until our 3rd round pick, and would be quite happy w/ him as our FS of the future at pick 36.
He isnt ready to start at FS in the NFL and thus wouldnt go as early as the 3rd round in my opinion I see him as a 7th round pick or undrafted pickup, but I wouldnt be upset if they drafted him.

Quote:An above average FS makes this defense A LOT better instantly.  

The LB situation has been in constant flux, but hasn't been as big of a problem.  Gap fits against the run have been way too inconsistent though -  but when you've got  a rotating cast of UDFAs and camp-cut-cast-offs manning MLB and Sam..... that happens. 

LB Should be better moving forward. 

The line will be fine and has played pretty well mostly - with moments of suck here and there.  

FS is the main issue in this discussion IMO.  In a coverage scheme that "funnels action" to the middle  -- you can't have a sub-par player manning the middle. 

If they do draft Fowler for OTTO, Weak Side being Telvin Smith, a healthy Poz at Mike along side with Skuta or in packages sharing reps at OTTO I would see the LB core as being one of the strongest assests on the team!  If they go with Leo Williams the Defensive line will be sick having Odrick as a DE with Tyson sharing reps, Marks & Miller at DT, Chris Clemons as the LEO with Andre Branch sharing reps.  The Defense would be improvedly greatly but a ha there it is again the DBs...

I was excited to see Colvin come in late in the season but he is almost still a rookie this season with so much more to learn, McCray did improve I dont deny that but he still has to get better... Bubble Gum Gratz I wouldnt mind if the team traded him away honestly for all the good he does he makes the same amt if not more mistakes on and off the field.  As far as House he was a backup for a reason I mean he is good and will be a starter I assume if no one is drafted but its not like hes a proven great CB.   Either way even if the CB play is outstanding the Safety play is still in question and was the real main focus of the thread.

Quote:A defense can only be so good anymore in the NFL; you need first downs and possession time.  We haven't had any offensive potency in ages. I think the defense has been one of the better units in the league so if it isn't quite working yet imagine when it has all the pieces. Defenses wear down as games and the season goes. That's why Chip Kelly's high speed offense is a joke because if it's not controlling the game their defense gets whipped pretty quick. Our defense hasn't really been able to be opportunistic in its approach because we're always playing catch up. When the other offense is never taking any chances the INT's and sacks go down. Red Bryant wasn't anywhere close to what he was hyped up to be either.
I think thats why they let Big Red go and resigned Tyson Alualu, they are hoping Odrick playing End will be the pass rushing / run stopper that they had hoped Red Bryant would have been.

Quote:He isnt ready to start at FS in the NFL and thus wouldnt go as early as the 3rd round in my opinion I see him as a 7th round pick or undrafted pickup, but I wouldnt be upset if they drafted him.
7th round pick?

Quote:He isnt ready to start at FS in the NFL and thus wouldnt go as early as the 3rd round in my opinion I see him as a 7th round pick or undrafted pickup, but I wouldnt be upset if they drafted him.
The rest of the everybody's disagree very strongly. I don't know anyone who has studied him lately that things he will last until day 3, and plenty have him gone top 50.

Quote:The rest of the everybody's disagree very strongly. I don't know anyone who has studied him lately that things he will last until day 3, and plenty have him gone top 50.

Say we get a trade with Cle and have 2 first rounders. Would you then take Randall at 36?

I don't know much about him except that I keep hearing his name more often
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Say we get a trade with Cle and have 2 first rounders. Would you then take Randall at 36?

I don't know much about him except that I keep hearing his name more often
I would take Randall at 36 happily in any situation. Way, way better use of the pick than any non Gurley RB for example.