Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why Gus Bradley's Defense hasnt worked

The Jaguars use the Bear front defense which is a combination of the 4-3 under that Gus Bradley used so often in Seattle with the 46 Bear Defense of Bud Ryan's Bears.

The Front bear must have the corners to hold up their end on coverage and a fast free safety being able to play the center field and pick up tight ends or assist the corners over the top if needed (like Base Cover 3).

In Seattle CBs like Sherman have done their part but the real key to the success of Seattles Defense has been FS Earl Thomas.

In Gus Bradley's Front Bear Defensive Scheme the weak side LB - OLB Telvin Smith, the OTTO role (kind of like JACK LB of old 46 Defense) some say SAM (Strong side) was Dekota Watson whom failed last year Geno Hayes moved to his role but failed as well I think that is why Skuta came but Im now thinking Skuta was brought in to backup Poz as the MIKE (Middle LB) and that OLB Dante Fowler JR will be drafted 3rd overall

as the new OTTO.

Dekota, Geno never truly had the skill set to play OTTO the way they had invisioned the role but Dante Fowler should be able to play above expectations.  The problem will still remain at Free Safety, and the Free Agent Sergio isnt truly up to the task when they really want a player like Earl Thomas from Seattle.  The other problem is at Corner back, despite the hype the young CBs played below average.  The team was in the Top5 all season long with Sacks yet the DBs were the worst at INT & Pass Defenses. 

The signing of OTTO Dante Flower Jr does make sense but the team truly needs a really talented Free Safety to make this Defense work!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

1. The defense has worked. If we had a capable offense this defense could easily be a top 12 unit.

2. Skuta will start. You don't sign a guy to a 20 mil contract to play backup.

3. McCray is legit. He graded out as a top CB according to PFF and with anyone with a working set of eyes. House should solidify the opposite side and is an exact clone of McCray, if he can remain healthy.

4. Me thinks you should do some research before starting a thread.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Gotta agree with this. The greatest defensive schemes in the world won't work if the talent isn't there to implement it. I would add that even though our D had it's short comings, if our offense had even remotely held up its end of the deal we would've ended the season with more W's than we did. The best defense in the world ain't gonna 'get 'er done' if you can't put points on the board.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:1. The defense has worked. If we had a capable offense this defense could easily be a top 12 unit.

3. McCray is legit. He graded out as a top CB according to PFF and with anyone with a working set of eyes. House should solidify the opposite side and is an exact clone of McCray, if he can remain healthy.

OP did do his research and is 100% correct.

Quote:OP did do his research and is 100% correct.

So McCray sucks, Skuta is a backup to Poz, and the offense ability to score 14 points a game has helped our defense tremendously right?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:So McCray sucks, Skuta is a backup to Poz, and the offense ability to score 14 points a game has helped our defense tremendously right?
No he doesn't suck but 0 interceptions, 3 passes defended, and a QB rating of 86(iirc) when throwing to him doesn't sound like the elite cb some of you think he is. He's good and has lots of potential.

I don't think that skuta will back up poz. I think he's currently the OTTO but depending on who we draft that person could take the otto moving skuta to the middle. How many snaps in the middle is a mystery.

And obviously our bad offense doesn't help, but to say were top 12 with good offense is a bit premature.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2015, 12:04 PM by GlockBortles.)

And its just a fact we need a FS for the ET role. I dont think sergio is it but idk how you can dispute that.

Quote:And its just a fact we need a FS for the ET role. I dont think sergio is it but idk how you can dispute that.

I don't think anyone is disputing we need a FS. Dave tried get one of the best in the game in McCourty but he re-signed.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2015, 12:20 PM by Etdavis2006.)

The scheme is cool because it more like football theory then anything else. A good talking point with other avid football fans.

But beyond that to me I doesn't matter what they do as long as they do it well. The pass defense FS position could not be upgraded so up grading the pass rush is usually the thinking in these situations.

The thing is the defense in seattle was built around Earl Thomas when he got drafted and essentially created it from the top down the way they run it. It highlights his strengths. We on the other hand are building it from the bottom up until a FS becomes available to man it.

Quote:No he doesn't suck but 0 interceptions, 3 passes defended, and a QB rating of 86(iirc) when throwing to him doesn't sound like the elite cb some of you think he is. He's good and has lots of potential.

I don't think that skuta will back up poz. I think he's currently the OTTO but depending on who we draft that person could take the otto moving skuta to the middle. How many snaps in the middle is a mystery.

And obviously our bad offense doesn't help, but to say were top 12 with good offense is a bit premature.

QBs aren't targeting McCray which is the big reason as to why he's not piling up meaningless stats. He's shutting down his guy as he's asked to do. PFF uses Yards per cover snap to measure a CB. Here's what that particular metric measures:

Quote:In this article we want to use our Yards per Cover Snap (YPCS) statistic to look at which cornerbacks excelled in the 2014 season. YPCS measures the yardage conceded when a player is in primary coverage, on a per snap basis. It lets us move a little closer to measuring just how shutdown a corner is.

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/13/sig-stats-ypcs-cornerbacks/'>https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/13/sig-stats-ypcs-cornerbacks/</a>

Care to see where and what company McCray is ranked among?

Regardless of who we draft Skuta will play heavily. Again you don't pay a guy 20 mil to play backup. If that was the plan they would've just retained JT Thomas for almost half the cost.

If anything the rookie will look to get rotational reps with Skuta if we go that direction.

This defense for the majority of our games came out on fire only to wear down after the ummtenth 3 and out. With even an average offense the defense would show marked improvement.

In all fairness, teams haven't had to do much to beat us so it's not like our D has been put through the fire either.  Teams were able to run basic plays against us, grab the lead and coast to victory for the most part.  The D has potential but I also think the D will be tested whenever the offense can put points on the board and other teams have to actually press down on the gas pedal.

Quote:1. The defense has worked. If we had a capable offense this defense could easily be a top 12 unit.

#1.) The Jaguars Defense finished the regular season ranked 26th in the NFL allowing 370.8 yards per game and points allowed 412. 30th in INTs (a few from players that are no longer Jaguars & non-DBs) with 6 total, 32nd in PDs.

#2.) You usually dont sign backup Free Agents to giant deals, but GM Dave Caldwell did because he had the cap space & needed the talent to compete on the depth chart. Skuta might be the OTTO, Odrick could be the replacement for Big Red sharing reps with Tyson Alualu, and DT Leo Williams might be in play with Marks & Miller as the backup.  I guess we will have to wait a few weeks to find out what really is going to happen.  I am only guessing at this point.

#3.) The Defense performed poorly for most of the entire season with moments of greatness, but mainly failure.  The only true shinning light was the Defensive Line & rookie Telvin Smith whom played consitent all year (exception of DLine against the run first half of season).

#4.) Research?  Its a fan message board I'm not being paid for my opinion or stories you take this way too serious... why you mad bro?

Quote:And its just a fact we need a FS for the ET role. I dont think sergio is it but idk how you can dispute that.
Thanks GlockBortles, Ive been posting threads on the FS for years... I dont understand why they didnt make a better effort... I guess they didnt want to admit that Josh Evans was a failed draft pick.

Quote:The scheme is cool because it more like football theory then anything else. A good talking point with other avid football fans.

But beyond that to me I doesn't matter what they do as long as they do it well. The pass defense FS position could not be upgraded so up grading the pass rush is usually the thinking in these situations.

The thing is the defense in seattle was built around Earl Thomas when he got drafted and essentially created it from the top down the way they run it. It highlights his strengths. We on the other hand are building it from the bottom up until a FS becomes available to man it.
I think the media / fans / league under estimate Earl Thomas talent at Free Safety.  A lot is asked of him, and he is a big reason the SeaHawks went to back to back Superbowls along with Sherman.

Quote:QBs aren't targeting McCray which is the big reason as to why he's not piling up meaningless stats. He's shutting down his guy as he's asked to do. PFF uses Yards per cover snap to measure a CB. Here's what that particular metric measures:

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/13/sig-stats-ypcs-cornerbacks/'>https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/13/sig-stats-ypcs-cornerbacks/</a>

Regardless of who we draft Skuta will play heavily. Again you don't pay a guy 20 mil to play backup. If that was the plan they would've just retained JT Thomas for almost half the cost.

If anything the rookie will look to get rotational reps with Skuta if we go that direction.

This defense for the majority of our games came out on fire only to wear down after the ummtenth 3 and out. With even an average offense the defense would show marked improvement.
 So you actually think he is elite or on par with those based purely off this, because I think we both know thats not true. I don't even know why you linked this because i just referenced it.

And If lets say Vic Beasely is drafted and plays better than Skuta, then he will play.

Quote:Thanks GlockBortles, Ive been posting threads on the FS for years... I dont understand why they didnt make a better effort... I guess they didnt want to admit that Josh Evans was a failed draft pick.
 I actually think they made a really strong effort for mccourty, but he just wanted to stay where he was at. There just wasnt anything we could do.

Quote:QBs aren't targeting McCray which is the big reason as to why he's not piling up meaningless stats. He's shutting down his guy as he's asked to do. PFF uses Yards per cover snap to measure a CB. Here's what that particular metric measures:

Let me begin by quoting what I actually said that seemed to upset you;

The other problem is at Corner back, despite the hype the young CBs played below average. The team was in the Top5 all season long with Sacks yet the DBs were the worst at INT & Pass Defenses.

I never called out McCray specifically so I assume you agree that the other CBs played below average but argue about McCray's being lumped with the rest of them?

The stat YPCS, Yard Per Cover Snap, is interesting when you look at R. Mathis ranked 7th below McCray with 643 snaps along with Revis ranked 8th (King of Free Agency) with 606 coverage snaps having a 0.86 & a 0.92 compared to McCrays .78 yet Revis was on the winning SuperBowl team & Mathis on Post Season Lions.  What did PFF actually score McCray as far as Coverage Grade?

Quote: I actually think they made a really strong effort for mccourty, but he just wanted to stay where he was at. There just wasnt anything we could do.
Stinks they shouldnt have just made it rain but hit him with a hurricane of cash...

The reason Gus' defense 'hasn't worked' is because he inherited one average ILB in Poz and one decent rotational 5 tech in Alualu. Simple as that. 

I believe we now have 4 foundational players on defense (McCray, Colvin, Telvin, Marks if he returns 100%) We also have another few potential foundational players in Cyp, House, and Odrick. We even have some probable upgrades at FS and OTTO, in addition to the return of our team captain Poz...who will probably be one of the two or three worst starters on the defense this time around. 

If the defense is still not working after this year then we can talk, but for now I think it's right on track.

We do need a FS badly, and your points are valid, but their are none worth taking. Holliman cannot tackle.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>