Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Eateries in Seattle are beginning to shutdown as $15 dollar minimum wage looms

Quote:Gotta give Subway credit. They have managed to convince a lot people that their food is healthy. They've even paid guys like Michael Phelps, Russell Westbrook and RGIII enough money to pretend that athletes eat that stuff. It is fast food. Not real athlete eats that garbage.

Quote:Again, this just further proves what I said earlier. This generation is nothing but lazy.. Just a little research will tell you that regular bread has next to no nutritional properties, unless its 100% whole wheat, and even that can be damaging because some still sneak in flour.. Everyone wants everything done for them.. Give me money, tell me how I should lose weight, put the food in my mouth and help me chew it.. No wonder we have so many millionaires in this country because the mass of this country is stoopid and have no problem handing their money over for empty promises..
Just like all the people who are told that diet soda is somehow good for you just because it has the word "diet" in it. I try to refrain from drinking that stuff. I remember reading an article which said that diet soda can affect the brain and cognitive ability. Drinking a lot of it can give you kidney stones too.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Again, this just further proves what I said earlier. This generation is nothing but lazy.. Just a little research will tell you that regular bread has next to no nutritional properties, unless its 100% whole wheat, and even that can be damaging because some still sneak in flour.. Everyone wants everything done for them.. Give me money, tell me how I should lose weight, put the food in my mouth and help me chew it.. No wonder we have so many millionaires in this country because the mass of this country is stoopid and have no problem handing their money over for empty promises..

It is not just one generation falling for this. 

Quote:Just like all the people who are told that diet soda is somehow good for you just because it has the word "diet" in it. I try to refrain from drinking that stuff. I remember reading an article which said that diet soda can affect the brain and cognitive ability. Drinking a lot of it can give you kidney stones too.

Kidney stones aren't genetic, but there's a urinary level defect that causes kidney stones that IS genetic.. Best to drink lots of water and clear liquids..

Anything with that caramel coloring can do damage over time.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:The idea behind raising the minimum wage is, that the more money people make, the more they will spend which will stimulate the economy...Take walmart for example...walmart here is basically the only place to shop other than local mom and pop shops...So when they pay their employees, they generally cash their checks right there and then do their shopping...If they had more money in their paycheck, they would spend more shopping...Or they would buy more gas to go to other nearby townships to target or other stores, or eat out more...The end result is supposed to be if americans make more money they will spend more and the economy will improve
That's more of a side effect than a root cause. The root cause is that politicians recognize that more and more of their voters are falling into that low income bloc, and they're pandering to those people to keep their votes.

Quote:It doesn't become $15 an hour until 2021.   This year, it becomes $11 an hour.  
Screw it, I'm moving to Seattle.

Quote:$11 an hour that requires next to no skill.. awesome..

You know what this country's problem is? It's this generation. Everyone wants everything handed to them instead of them working hard for it and actually earning it..
As a member of "this generation", I kind of resent that remark. I've worked hard to build up what I have, and I'm proud of it. Either I keep the best kind of group of friends, or "this generation" isn't as bad as it's made out to be. We all put in lots of work to get to where we are, and haven't looked for handouts along the way. There are slackers who want to do as little work as possible for as much money as they can get in every generation, and it seems like each generation goes out of its way to whine and moan about the generations that follow it. In ten years, I'm sure I'll be griping about how the generation after mine is full of nothing but slackers and losers who look for handouts rather than earning it when, in truth, it's a small but prominent subset of that generation responsible for that.

Quote:Kidney stones aren't genetic, but there's a urinary level defect that causes kidney stones that IS genetic.. Best to drink lots of water and clear liquids..

On a related but not relative to this discussion note; I heard a story about a doctor who was trying to determine the kind of pain a patient of his was in. He asked his patient to describe the pain and it's intensity. The patient responded with "Doc, I rather have kidney stones again." Patient got the maximum dose of pain medication.

Quote:Kidney stones aren't genetic, but there's a urinary level defect that causes kidney stones that IS genetic.. Best to drink lots of water and clear liquids..

I never said that kidney stones were genetic at all. I was just saying that drinking diet soda puts you at greater risk of developing them. My Great Grandmother had seven children; and she said that having her kidney stone removed was: "the worst pain of her life".

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2015, 03:35 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

26% of jobs pay under $10.00/hour.  That's over a quarter of the work force.

Is Seattle going too far?  I think they are.  But I don't think that's the reason restaurants are leaving.  I'm sure some are, and I wonder how many of those are doing so to make a political statement, rather than that they can't afford to do it.  Just like many jobs cut hours after the Affordable Care Act was implemented. 

A lot of restaurants fail.  It happens.  In fact a lot of small businesses fail, and it should be no surprise.  Not everybody is able to run a business.  Otherwise everyone would be business owners, and nobody would be employees.  Businesses can and will fail.  And if you're a supporter of the free market, then you should support that.  

It's easy to say that minimum wage jobs are supposed to be a stepping stone.  The fact is, sub $10.00 jobs are becoming more and more permanent.  Finding gainful employment isn't as easy as it once was.  You can blame minimum wage all you want, but companies are always looking for ways to cut costs.  And it doesn't benefit people, because companies usually don't pass it along to customers.  If they did, they wouldn't have billions of dollars worth of profits.  

"This generation is lazy!" I hear people say.  Their generation was clearly the best.  (nevermind that they had things easier, not to mention some of the other things they did).  "Teens don't want to work fast food!"  Just look at how people treat TMD around here, to see why people don't want to work fast food.  They call him "Fry cook" and use it as an insult as if working fast food is somehow demeaning.  The last generation decided to demean such positions, rather than consider them respectable for actually doing some work (not to mention going to school at the same time)  Also keep in mind that high school drop out rates are at a low.  Meaning more and more kids are finishing school.  They're trying to better themselves, which I'd find hard to call 'lazy'.  But that's just me.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:26% of jobs pay under $10.00/hour.  That's over a quarter of the work force.

Is Seattle going too far?  I think they are.  But I don't think that's the reason restaurants are leaving.  I'm sure some are, and I wonder how many of those are doing so to make a political statement, rather than that they can't afford to do it.  Just like many jobs cut hours after the Affordable Care Act was implemented. 

A lot of restaurants fail.  It happens.  In fact a lot of small businesses fail, and it should be no surprise.  Not everybody is able to run a business.  Otherwise everyone would be business owners, and nobody would be employees.  Businesses can and will fail.  And if you're a supporter of the free market, then you should support that.  

It's easy to say that minimum wage jobs are supposed to be a stepping stone.  The fact is, sub $10.00 jobs are becoming more and more permanent.  Finding gainful employment isn't as easy as it once was.  You can blame minimum wage all you want, but companies are always looking for ways to cut costs.  And it doesn't benefit people, because companies usually don't pass it along to customers.  If they did, they wouldn't have billions of dollars worth of profits.  

"This generation is lazy!" I hear people say.  Their generation was clearly the best.  (nevermind that they had things easier, not to mention some of the other things they did).  "Teens don't want to work fast food!"  Just look at how people treat TMD around here, to see why people don't want to work fast food.  They call him "Fry cook" and use it as an insult as if working fast food is somehow demeaning.  The last generation decided to demean such positions, rather than consider them respectable for actually doing some work (not to mention going to school at the same time)  Also keep in mind that high school drop out rates are at a low.  Meaning more and more kids are finishing school.  They're trying to better themselves, which I'd find hard to call 'lazy'.  But that's just me.
I had no idea that TMD really worked in fast food. The more you know. I agree with a lot of what you say; but many of these restaurant owners are specifically mentioning the $11 (and upcoming $15) minimum wages, as cause for their closures. The minimum wage wouldn't hurt that much if these were big fortune 500 companies who could afford all of the operating costs, but these are just small businesses and mom and pop chains who simply cannot afford it. They have the choice of either laying off people (and causing more unemployment), or just to close up shop altogether.

It's always the little guy that suffers the most.

Quote:"This generation is lazy!" I hear people say.  Their generation was clearly the best.  (nevermind that they had things easier, not to mention some of the other things they did).  "Teens don't want to work fast food!"  Just look at how people treat TMD around here, to see why people don't want to work fast food.  They call him "Fry cook" and use it as an insult as if working fast food is somehow demeaning.  The last generation decided to demean such positions, rather than consider them respectable for actually doing some work (not to mention going to school at the same time)  Also keep in mind that high school drop out rates are at a low.  Meaning more and more kids are finishing school.  They're trying to better themselves, which I'd find hard to call 'lazy'.  But that's just me.
TJBender says he resents the statement about this generation being lazy, well I absolutely bloody abhor, detest and hate it. I actually have to think carefully about what write here because I might well swear and the word filter isn't active on my posts.

But you hit upon a good point; my generation has been told all their life that ending up in fast food or some other minimum wage job is an unspeakably bad thing. "Better stay in school, don't want to end up flipping burgers." "You should go to college, or else you'll wind up in Burger King", "Don't drop out because if you do, you'll be wearing a paper hat." We've been taught that minimum wage is a failure state and when we turn around and say we don't want to go into that failure state we get called lazy.

And that's assuming there are realistic alternatives. After high school you can either enter the workforce or enter college. But college means assuming a massive amount of debt, effectively crippling any hope of financial independence after graduation. Meanwhile, virtually every decent career path requires a college degree so not going to college means entering the aforementioned failure state. Despite all this more people are graduating college and high school, but that doesn't matter to the observer because they will just claim the tests are getting easier. 

But worst of all are the people who are calling the current generation lazy. The generation previous to them fought depression in the 30's, fought WW2 and then rebuilt the US and Europe afterwards while instituting programs like welfare, unemployment, Medicare, Medicaid and countless other programs the baby boomers were more than willing to take advantage of. Meanwhile living expenses were low compared to today and upward mobility was high due to still reasonable costs associated with higher education. Flash forward to today, that generation is done getting their fill and it's time for the next generation to take over and not only is the new generation being called lazy and entitled for daring to ask for the same benefits their parents got, they are actively being taken away from them by the people that benefited most from those benefits. The hypocrisy is off the scale on this.

Meanwhile, the current generation is more tolerant, more productive, better educated than ever and getting nothing but grief from the people that rely on them the most. 

Quote:I never said that kidney stones were genetic at all. I was just saying that drinking diet soda puts you at greater risk of developing them. My Great Grandmother had seven children; and she said that having her kidney stone removed was: "the worst pain of her life".

I realize that, I was just throwin' that out there. No biggie..

Quote:26% of jobs pay under $10.00/hour. That's over a quarter of the work force.

Is Seattle going too far? I think they are. But I don't think that's the reason restaurants are leaving. I'm sure some are, and I wonder how many of those are doing so to make a political statement, rather than that they can't afford to do it. Just like many jobs cut hours after the Affordable Care Act was implemented.

A lot of restaurants fail. It happens. In fact a lot of small businesses fail, and it should be no surprise. Not everybody is able to run a business. Otherwise everyone would be business owners, and nobody would be employees. Businesses can and will fail. And if you're a supporter of the free market, then you should support that.

It's easy to say that minimum wage jobs are supposed to be a stepping stone. The fact is, sub $10.00 jobs are becoming more and more permanent. Finding gainful employment isn't as easy as it once was. You can blame minimum wage all you want, but companies are always looking for ways to cut costs. And it doesn't benefit people, because companies usually don't pass it along to customers. If they did, they wouldn't have billions of dollars worth of profits.

"This generation is lazy!" I hear people say. Their generation was clearly the best. (nevermind that they had things easier, not to mention some of the other things they did). "Teens don't want to work fast food!" Just look at how people treat TMD around here, to see why people don't want to work fast food. They call him "Fry cook" and use it as an insult as if working fast food is somehow demeaning. The last generation decided to demean such positions, rather than consider them respectable for actually doing some work (not to mention going to school at the same time) Also keep in mind that high school drop out rates are at a low. Meaning more and more kids are finishing school. They're trying to better themselves, which I'd find hard to call 'lazy'. But that's just me.

A job is a job and I commend people who would rather work for a living than relying on our taxes to just drift through life. But as I said, these jobs are simply stepping stone jobs. If you want to make flipping burgers your career, that's fine and nothing wrong with it. But businesses shouldn't have to front the cost at $11 or $15 dollars per hour because they decide to just "settle".. Go out and get an education. There's SO MANY different scholarships and government funding available to go back to school on. Just takes a little hard work on your part, and if hard work scares you, then maybe you are a Burger King lifer..

Sidenote.. When I say "you", I wasn't talking about specifically you..

Quote:I don't think that's "the idea behind raising the minimum wage."   That may be one of them, but that's not the only one.    I think the drive to raise the minimum wage is fueled by the idea that people can't make a living at $7.25 an hour or whatever the minimum wage is.   The idea is to help poor people.  

The question is, at what level of minimum wage do companies start laying off workers?   That's the ironic thing.   Sometimes, you try to help people, and you wind up hurting them. 
If you research minimum wage, it was never intended to be a wage that can in and itself support a family...I am in a Union and we get updates on the progress of raising the minimum wage...The unions and politicians are charging that that the more money people make the more they spend, the more money spent, the better the economy becomes

Quote:A job is a job and I commend people who would rather work for a living than relying on our taxes to just drift through life. But as I said, these jobs are simply stepping stone jobs. If you want to make flipping burgers your career, that's fine and nothing wrong with it. But businesses shouldn't have to front the cost at $11 or $15 dollars per hour because they decide to just "settle".. Go out and get an education. There's SO MANY different scholarships and government funding available to go back to school on. Just takes a little hard work on your part, and if hard work scares you, then maybe you are a Burger King lifer..

Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of people would much rather work full time than collect welfare. And when I say vast majority I mean it; the lower estimates have the percentage in the high 90's. What people have a problem with is having to work 80 hours a week and still not be able to make ends meet. 

As for education and scholarships; there's a reason student debt recently reached $1.1 trillion dollars and is second only to mortgage debt. 

Quote:Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of people would much rather work full time than collect welfare. And when I say vast majority I mean it; the lower estimates have the percentage in the high 90's. What people have a problem with is having to work 80 hours a week and still not be able to make ends meet.

As for education and scholarships; there's a reason student debt recently reached $1.1 trillion dollars and is second only to mortgage debt.

I'm currently still paying off my student loan as well, but without my student loan and the hard work I put in, I'd be at McDonalds flipping burgers myself.. Thats why its considered a loan. Not a gift, you do have to pay it back.

Quote:A job is a job and I commend people who would rather work for a living than relying on our taxes to just drift through life. But as I said, these jobs are simply stepping stone jobs. If you want to make flipping burgers your career, that's fine and nothing wrong with it. But businesses shouldn't have to front the cost at $11 or $15 dollars per hour because they decide to just "settle".. Go out and get an education. There's SO MANY different scholarships and government funding available to go back to school on. Just takes a little hard work on your part, and if hard work scares you, then maybe you are a Burger King lifer..

Sadly not all of us are meant for college. Try as I might I just don't have the aptitude for it, and it's not for lack of trying. My brain just doesn't work that way and I know I'm not the only one. Thankfully I don't have to try to support myself on minimum wage as my husband has a good career. If not for that I'd be screwed.

Quote:Sadly not all of us are meant for college. Try as I might I just don't have the aptitude for it, and it's not for lack of trying. My brain just doesn't work that way and I know I'm not the only one. Thankfully I don't have to try to support myself on minimum wage as my husband has a good career. If not for that I'd be screwed.

You know you don't have to go out and get a degree to be successful in life. Just last year I went out just for the hell of it and got my CDL as a backup plan.

Lots of people have the resources to get a better job, just some either don't know how or just don't care right now. The internet is a vast wealth of knowledge. Don't know anything about inventory, microsoft office or even a scan gun? Pull em up on google, take some tutorials. Lots of websites out there that offer free tutorials to give yourself some extra skills. Once you learn said skills and become proficient enough, add that sun'gun to your resume.. The idea and trick is to get creative and never stop learning. You never know what job you may get simply because you took a free tutorial on the internet. But chances are, its better than flippin burgers.

I live in Seattle and for those of you wanting to move here, don't. We don't want you. LOL.

As for the article, it's quite the hyperbolic piece. A few old establishments just closed down due to horrid management, and not because of the minimum wage. Minimum wage is 9.47 statewide, and will go up to 11 an hour in a few weeks.

And for people saying food service can't be a career, you don't think very far out of the box. I was a truck driver and a farmer all my life, retired at 28, got bored, and went to the local Dominos and got a job there. Now I'm the General Manager of the store and make an average of 1300 a week, and am next in line to be an area supervisor in the next year, which will bump me to a low 6 figure pay.

But yes, keep thinking these jobs are for idiots (because there are a lot of them in these jobs), because that means when guys like me come along and we shine like a polished gem, we get what we want, where we want, and go up the ladder as fast as we want. Couldn't do that if we had other smart people working there.

Quote:You know you don't have to go out and get a degree to be successful in life. Just last year I went out just for the hell of it and got my CDL as a backup plan.

Lots of people have the resources to get a better job, just some either don't know how or just don't care right now. The internet is a vast wealth of knowledge. Don't know anything about inventory, microsoft office or even a scan gun? Pull em up on google, take some tutorials. Lots of websites out there that offer free tutorials to give yourself some extra skills. Once you learn said skills and become proficient enough, add that sun'gun to your resume.. The idea and trick is to get creative and never stop learning. You never know what job you may get simply because you took a free tutorial on the internet. But chances are, its better than flippin burgers.

The sad thing is in my small town if you don't have a degree in a medical field (a big employer here is hospitals and doctor's offices), not a Mexican male to do labor or not from around here (the "it's all who you know/went to high school with" mentality) you're pretty much forced to work part-time retail or the service industry. I'm trying to get into a medical coding course here at the college but it's tough. My unemployment is not for lack of trying, just lack of what I mentioned above.

When you're a female who tells a construction builder you know how to frame, house wrap, install Windows, shingle a roof, etc., they look at you like you've done lost your mind. The good old boy network is still alive and well here. But I'm not giving up.

Quote:The sad thing is in my small town if you don't have a degree in a medical field (a big employer here is hospitals and doctor's offices), not a Mexican male to do labor or not from around here (the "it's all who you know/went to high school with" mentality) you're pretty much forced to work part-time retail or the service industry. I'm trying to get into a medical coding course here at the college but it's tough. My unemployment is not for lack of trying, just lack of what I mentioned above.

When you're a female who tells a construction builder you know how to frame, house wrap, install Windows, shingle a roof, etc., they look at you like you've done lost your mind. The good old boy network is still alive and well here. But I'm not giving up.

That definitely exists and causes problems, especially in small town life. But yeah, just gotta stay positive and don't give up. It makes the rewards that much sweeter. As the saying goes, anything worthwhile isn't easy..

Quote:I live in Seattle and for those of you wanting to move here, don't. We don't want you. LOL.
Seattle- The hermit city?