Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Eateries in Seattle are beginning to shutdown as $15 dollar minimum wage looms

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015...fect.html?

This is a clear example of why minimum wage sucks. And not just for business owners...

If it wasn't painfully clear already, it is now. There's no denying it anymore. Minimum wage hurts everybody. Businesses are forced to shut down due to higher operating costs, workers get fired or are forced to work less hours, young people (like me) find it harder to find jobs and get a start somewhere, increased prices, and local communities lose valuable assets and revenue; this especially hurts in low income, or undereducated areas.

The only ones that win are the corrupt labor unions...

WAKE UP AMERICA!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

These minimum wage jobs are supposed to be only stepping stones until you find a better job. You don't call it a career flippin hamburgers, and you don't make $15 an hour doing it. It requires less to zero skill and anyone can do it. You offer the company nothing as you can easily be replaced by anyone off the street with equal or less skill as yourself.. Want $15 an hour? Go back to school and further your education..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

When did it become a thing that every single job should pay enough to support a family of three or four comfortably? It used to be that getting a job at a fast food resturant was a way for teens to earn some spending money or save up for a used car...not any more.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I guess ill be the one that gets the hate for saying this article is mostly speculative with mostly anecdotal evidence based in Oakland where a few places have closed down out of fear on an impending increase in wages.

I am interested see how this plays out. The market will speak loudly when the wages do go up. Either restraints can't function or they will survive. I do, however, think it's duplicitous to scream "this will cost jobs" and then in the same breath say"these jobs are for kids anyways"

In Portland bartenders and wait staff get straight minimum which I believe is near 10$/hour and people still tip not the sub minimum most get. Our service industry is thriving. Just food for thought Tongue

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. 

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2015, 06:57 AM by wrong_box.)

Quote:When did it become a thing that every single job should pay enough to support a family of three or four comfortably? It used to be that getting a job at a fast food resturant was a way for teens to earn some spending money or save up for a used car...not any more.
Most Teens around here think working fast food is beneath them...Most of the teens (here)say they won't work for less than $10 an hour so they don't work...The few that do, seem to be the ones who do well in school, and hardly get in trouble...Somehow todays kids have the belief that they are better than everyone else and less than $10 per hour is degrading to them...We have very small towns here, not even big enough to be called cities, but townships that are very old...The vast majority of jobs here are retail, and we all know retail is all part time at or slightly above minimum wage and the teens think they should be able to jump into the skilled jobs during the summers and right out of high school...There are only about 6 or 7 employers in the immediate area that pay in double digits here and for some reason these kids think they should get these jobs above everyone else...

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2015, 07:22 AM by The Real Marty.)

If you raise the price of something, you decrease demand for it.    That is an unassailable economic axiom.   So if you raise the price of labor, you will eliminate a lot of jobs.  

However, I have read so many dire predictions of things that will end the world as we know it, and that actually wind up not ending the world as we know it, that am becoming more and more inclined to wait for the results to actually come in before I pronounce judgment.   For example a couple of years ago, people were predicting that Obamacare was going to destroy the economy.   Now, a couple of years into Obamacare, we can see that it did not destroy the economy.  

A free market is a remarkably resilient and adaptable thing.   It plows forward no matter what.  So, raising the minimum wage in Seattle to unimaginable levels will have what effect in the end?   I know what basic, unarguable economic theory says.   But what will really happen?   Who knows?    This is why economics is called "the dismal science."  

And as far as all the stories in the article about restaurants closing, I used to work in the restaurant supply industry, and I can tell you that restaurants seem to come and go more than any other business.   So just citing stories about restaurants in Seattle who were "forced to close their doors," if the owner says it was because of a pending minimum wage increase, it is probably just an excuse.   The real reason was probably bad management or poor capitalization.  

AND ONE MORE THING.   I've noticed some people posting here get their information from websites that have an obvious agenda, and whatever that website prints, they just swallow it hole without any degree of skepticism.  

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2015, 07:03 AM by wrong_box.)

The idea behind raising the minimum wage is, that the more money people make, the more they will spend which will stimulate the economy...Take walmart for example...walmart here is basically the only place to shop other than local mom and pop shops...So when they pay their employees, they generally cash their checks right there and then do their shopping...If they had more money in their paycheck, they would spend more shopping...Or they would buy more gas to go to other nearby townships to target or other stores, or eat out more...The end result is supposed to be if americans make more money they will spend more and the economy will improve

Quote:The idea behind raising the minimum wage is, that the more money people make, the more they will spend which will stimulate the economy...Take walmart for example...walmart here is basically the only place to shop other than local mom and pop shops...So when they pay their employees, they generally cash their checks right there and then do their shopping...If they had more money in their paycheck, they would spend more shopping...Or they would buy more gas to go to other nearby townships to target or other stores, or eat out more...The end result is supposed to be if americans make more money they will spend more and the economy will improve

I don't think that's "the idea behind raising the minimum wage."   That may be one of them, but that's not the only one.    I think the drive to raise the minimum wage is fueled by the idea that people can't make a living at $7.25 an hour or whatever the minimum wage is.   The idea is to help poor people.  

The question is, at what level of minimum wage do companies start laying off workers?   That's the ironic thing.   Sometimes, you try to help people, and you wind up hurting them. 

Quote:These minimum wage jobs are supposed to be only stepping stones until you find a better job. You don't call it a career flippin hamburgers, and you don't make $15 an hour doing it. It requires less to zero skill and anyone can do it. You offer the company nothing as you can easily be replaced by anyone off the street with equal or less skill as yourself.. Want $15 an hour? Go back to school and further your education..

It doesn't become $15 an hour until 2021.   This year, it becomes $11 an hour.  

Just going to guess that alot of restaurants in Seattle were closing before a minimum wage hike was discussed. 

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2015, 09:27 AM by The Real Marty.)

Quote: Just going to guess that alot of restaurants in Seattle were closing before a minimum wage hike was discussed. 

That's my experience in the restaurant equipment supply business.   Part of my job was to manage credit.   It's so easy to get into the restaurant business, and many people open restaurants without really knowing the business.   They didn't close because of excessive costs; they closed because they didn't realize how much money they needed to start up, and they didn't know how to run a business in the first place.   I used to tell people, add up all your startup costs, and then triple it.   That's how much money you need to start a restaurant.  

I would bet the rise in the minimum wage in Seattle will flush out the weak operators.   The stronger ones, who know how the operate a restaurant, will continue to prosper.  

Also some irony that the OP links to a blog called "American Thinker" and they spelled restaurants incorrectly.

Quote:And some restuarants in the city have already shuttered their doors and are either going out of business or moving to friendlier climes.

Quote:AND ONE MORE THING.   I've noticed some people posting here get their information from websites that have an obvious agenda, and whatever that website prints, they just swallow it hole without any degree of skepticism.  
For everyone's information, it's not just "American Thinker" that's talking about it.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1924418/seattle...-business/

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/03/14/se...pproaches/

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2015/03/14/res...age-looms/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/...imum-wage/

Seattle businesses are fighting back: 

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/20...-wage.html

http://kuow.org/post/why-franchise-owner...nimum-wage

http://www.kplu.org/post/franchise-organ...out-unfair

Here's an interesting comment that I found on one of the sites:

"Maybe if we didn't expect to pay $5 for a footlong sandwich that we paid $5 for 25+ years ago then this wouldn't be a problem. $0.99 menus don't make you scratch your head? Cheaper prices to a certain degree are better but US consumers quest for the cheapest price comes with serious social costs. Minimum wage earners don't pay much in federal tax (thereby reducing government tax collections) that pay for healthcare, roads, defense, education, etc. They rely on social services more as a result which further drives up the cost of social programs. They can't purchase homes or goods that would normally help the economy grow (they're effectively left out of the economy beyond basic necessities). Its time we expected to pay more for certain things than we do and at the same time improve wage growth. Any economist will tell you that the middle class has fallen behind in terms of real wage growth and the poorer have gotten poorer despite an economy that is several times larger than it was 30 years ago. Ask yourself where that money has gone."

Quote:It doesn't become $15 an hour until 2021. This year, it becomes $11 an hour.

$11 an hour that requires next to no skill.. awesome..

You know what this country's problem is? It's this generation. Everyone wants everything handed to them instead of them working hard for it and actually earning it.. Next, people on welfare are gonna go on strike for a raise while they sit on their lazy arses and watch Jerry..

Whatev..

Quote:Most Teens around here think working fast food is beneath them...Most of the teens (here)say they won't work for less than $10 an hour so they don't work...The few that do, seem to be the ones who do well in school, and hardly get in trouble...Somehow todays kids have the belief that they are better than everyone else and less than $10 per hour is degrading to them...We have very small towns here, not even big enough to be called cities, but townships that are very old...The vast majority of jobs here are retail, and we all know retail is all part time at or slightly above minimum wage and the teens think they should be able to jump into the skilled jobs during the summers and right out of high school...There are only about 6 or 7 employers in the immediate area that pay in double digits here and for some reason these kids think they should get these jobs above everyone else...

It's because most kids have a total sense of entitlement! Parents spoil their children so much that these kids think they should be able to continue to live in the lifestyle they are accustomed to straight out the gate without actually having to work for it!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2015, 11:25 AM by Shack Del Rio.)

Quote:For everyone's information, it's not just "American Thinker" that's talking about it.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1924418/seattle...-business/

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/03/14/se...pproaches/

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2015/03/14/res...age-looms/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/...imum-wage/

Seattle businesses are fighting back: 

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/20...-wage.html

http://kuow.org/post/why-franchise-owner...nimum-wage

http://www.kplu.org/post/franchise-organ...out-unfair

Here's an interesting comment that I found on one of the sites:

"Maybe if we didn't expect to pay $5 for a footlong sandwich that we paid $5 for 25+ years ago then this wouldn't be a problem. $0.99 menus don't make you scratch your head? Cheaper prices to a certain degree are better but US consumers quest for the cheapest price comes with serious social costs. Minimum wage earners don't pay much in federal tax (thereby reducing government tax collections) that pay for healthcare, roads, defense, education, etc. They rely on social services more as a result which further drives up the cost of social programs. They can't purchase homes or goods that would normally help the economy grow (they're effectively left out of the economy beyond basic necessities). Its time we expected to pay more for certain things than we do and at the same time improve wage growth. Any economist will tell you that the middle class has fallen behind in terms of real wage growth and the poorer have gotten poorer despite an economy that is several times larger than it was 30 years ago. Ask yourself where that money has gone."

But you are not paying $5 for the same sandwich. The quality of a $5 footlong sandwich is barely above dog food.

A quality sandwich is going to run you around $8 and people will complain it is "expensive". They don't know (or maybe care) about the difference in quality.

Quote:But you are not paying $5 for the same sandwich. The quality of a $5 footlong sandwich is barely above dog food.

A quality sandwich is going to run you around $8 and people will complain it is "expensive". They don't know (or maybe care) about the difference in quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo-pfZjEK-U

I just had to post this.

Quote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo-pfZjEK-U

I just had to post this.

Gotta give Subway credit. They have managed to convince a lot people that their food is healthy. They've even paid guys like Michael Phelps, Russell Westbrook and RGIII enough money to pretend that athletes eat that stuff. It is fast food. Not real athlete eats that garbage.

Quote:Gotta give Subway credit. They have managed to convince a lot people that their food is healthy. They've even paid guys like Michael Phelps, Russell Westbrook and RGIII enough money to pretend that athletes eat that stuff. It is fast food. Not real athlete eats that garbage.

Again, this just further proves what I said earlier. This generation is nothing but lazy.. Just a little research will tell you that regular bread has next to no nutritional properties, unless its 100% whole wheat, and even that can be damaging because some still sneak in flour.. Everyone wants everything done for them.. Give me money, tell me how I should lose weight, put the food in my mouth and help me chew it.. No wonder we have so many millionaires in this country because the mass of this country is stoopid and have no problem handing their money over for empty promises..