Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So for you conservatives, is Jerry Falwell Jr okay for higher education?

Quote:Doc how do you fee about students being able to take federal student loans at this private University? It's undeniable access to federal student loans at Liberty has greatly contributed to its swell in student population and hence financial success.

Given that you have to sign a pledge of faith, I don't think the university should receive any federal funds.  Just like I wouldn't want funding going to a college that forced you to sign a pledge of faith to Islam or lack of faith for atheism, or faith in scientology either, or Satanism for that matter.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think he's dangerous.  Not just because of pushing creationism in science, but because he wants less accountability in the accreditation system.   But obviously conservatives will like him, because they don't dislike anything Trump does. And they like anything that means less regulations.  Including getting rid of regulations that doesn't allow coal companies to pollute the waters...

Here's where Falwell says that he wants colleges to have more leeway with the accreditation system: 

http://www.chronicle.com/article/Jerry-F...ill/239062
Quote:How about we are screaming because religion, especially preferential treatment to one religion, Christianity, has no place in science or politics. How about because we are fearful Falwell Jrs religiousity will infilitrate into government policy? Religion has no place in government, period.

Both of you are wrong in my opinion and here's why.

To the first point in bold.  It's healthy to TEACH both THEORIES of evolution.  Exposing people's minds to different cultures/beliefs isn't a bad thing.  From the picture posted, It's not like they are preaching religion to someone, they are using an example taken out of The Bible which is a philosophical text.  It's all theory and gives students a problem to solve.  They aren't teaching the story of Noah's Ark, they are solving a problem.

To the second point in bold, what makes you so sure that they are giving "preferential treatment to one religion?  Why does religion in general "especially Christianity" have no place in science or politics?  I don't want to turn this into a religious discussion, but religion does have an element of philosophy as well as history.

You two really need to open your minds.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

You realize this is a private, not for profit university that only sees federal funds via its student population, not directly, right? You know, tuition, boarding, food, etc. Typical student expenses and financial aid via Pell, Federal Work Study, FAFSA, FSEOG, TEACH, etc.

[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2017, 05:21 PM by Solid Snake.)

Quote:Both of you are wrong in my opinion and here's why.

To the first point in bold. It's healthy to TEACH both THEORIES of evolution. Exposing people's minds to different cultures/beliefs isn't a bad thing. From the picture posted, It's not like they are preaching religion to someone, they are using an example taken out of The Bible which is a philosophical text. It's all theory and gives students a problem to solve. They aren't teaching the story of Noah's Ark, they are solving a problem.

To the second point in bold, what makes you so sure that they are giving "preferential treatment to one religion? Why does religion in general "especially Christianity" have no place in science or politics? I don't want to turn this into a religious discussion, but religion does have an element of philosophy as well as history.

You two really need to open your minds.
There are no "both" theories of evolution. There is one theory, that has been empirically observed and measured.

Also creationism doesn't focus on the changes in biology over time, it addresses the origin of the Universe itself and everything in it. Evolution does not address the origin of the Universe, it addresses changes in biology over time.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2017, 05:19 PM by Solid Snake.)

I'm not sure what it is with you conservatives and the idea that there is always some deeper alternative truth or "fact", especially in science.

Quote:There are no "both" theories of evolution. Also creationism doesn't focus on the changes in biology over time, it addresses the origin of the Universe itself and everything in it. Evolution does not address the origin of the Universe, it addresses changes in biology over time.

That's what you've been told is the "correct answer".  Have you ever tried to think about it yourself?

As I stated in another thread, everything around us has to do with math and logic.

Is creationism true or false?  Prove your answer one way or the other.

Is evolution true or false?  Prove your answer one way or the other.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I'm not sure what it is with you conservatives and the idea that there is always some deeper alternative truth or "fact", especially in science.

Because you have no clue what "truth" or "facts" are.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Its not a proper university. I bet it's an absolute resume killer when searching for a job. So many great universities in the US to pick from. Is liberty university and it's folk donors I imagine?

Who gets to decide what is or isn't a "proper university?" Trump? DeVos? They are the ones in charge these days.

When you go down that path you end up with tyranny.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2017, 06:18 PM by MalabarJag.)

Quote:Or Trump University.

Doc how do you feel about students being able to take federal student loans at this private University? It's undeniable access to federal student loans at Liberty has greatly contributed to its swell in student population and hence financial success.

That's true of just about every university, and has fed the hyperinflation of tuition rates.

Ideally there would be NO federal student loans. Universities would have to compete for students, and tuition wouldn't be so high. And if you personally know of some deserving student who can't afford tuition, then reach deeply into your own pocket, not someone else's.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Why are you afraid of a viewpoint other than your own?

Why are you in favor of one voice, one view?

Why do would you prefer folks to be silenced, and afraid of people making up their own minds?

He is obviously Borg and we must all be assimilated.

Quote:There are no "both" theories of evolution. There is one theory, that has been empirically observed and measured.

Also creationism doesn't focus on the changes in biology over time, it addresses the origin of the Universe itself and everything in it. Evolution does not address the origin of the Universe, it addresses changes in biology over time.

You said there is only one theory then mention two in the next paragraph.

Here's an actual page from a textbook they used in his school. No joke.

[Image: 20p8xc.jpg]

It's a serious university all right! Typical liberal snowflakes shutting down real science!

No posting pictures of that religion based textbook please!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2017, 03:07 AM by Samjag904.)

If you don't want any federal money going towards teaching matters of faith, can we defund every women's and gender studies program in the nation? I mean, talk about anti-science, they can't even tell the difference between men and women.

I accept the theory of evolution but it makes me laugh a bit when I see people so threatened by the idea that someone would even teach Creationism side by side. Why is that so scary? If our theories are so superior and sound and Creationism is backwards, you have nothing to worry about in the marketplace of ideas. 

As for the attacks on Liberty U, many great schools have a religious basis, Notre Dame, BYU, Baylor. Is it the faith that bothers you or the conservative leanings? Do you feel the liberal choke hold on academia starting to slip or something?

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius. 

No one is forced to go to that school...it's totally voluntary. What they want to learn is their business...

Quote:No one is forced to go to that school...it's totally voluntary. What they want to learn is their business...

I believe the text book was from a high school.

Quote:I believe the text book was from a high school.

If it's a private church school, it's still a choice to go there.

Quote:If it's a private church school, it's still a choice to go there.

Not if your parents make you. But that's a whole different topic to this.

Quote:Not if your parents make you. But that's a whole different topic to this.

Yep...a whole other can of worms!!