Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jax Armada

Quote:Isn't the NASL basically the soccer equivelant of AAA baseball?

Yes, but the gap between MLS & NASL isn't as big as there is between MLB & AAA.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Isn't that speculation at this point??  I read somewhere that the NASL wanted a relegation/promotion system in place like EPL???
Yes it is, opinion. If the NASL goes on their own, it'll be a looooooong time before that happens. Only 11 teams right now in the league. They'd be better off, and willing I think to merge with MLS and USL-Pro to get that done.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Yes, but the gap between MLS & NASL isn't as big as there is between MLB & AAA.
Exactly. The reason is financial and playing time as well. May of the starters should be on MLS rosters, but instead of riding the bench, or have reduced playing time they come to the NASL to play and hopefully catch an eye.

;

Quote:Portland had been my team.  Son roots for Seattle.

This year Olando City !!!
Same here. I just saw where the Armada will be playing the Charleston Battery Feb 8th in Charleston. Wish I could go. I use to watch Battery games when I was in school.

;

It would be awesome if the mls would start structuring like every other country in europe. Start a relegation league and form the mls into the preimer league of america. The nasl would fit right into the roll of the lower league durring the frist season. It would go just like it does is england, italy, france, spain, and germany. The bottom three are relegated to the lower league at the end of the year and the top 3 teams from the nasl would go into the mls. Would probably name them something different so they sound like conjoined leagues but i think it could work.

I dont however seeing the mls being on board with something like this. The mls seems like they are trying to monopolize north american soccer and something like this would run the risk of putting teams that mls didnt build on top on the league.

Quote:It would be awesome if the mls would start structuring like every other country in europe. Start a relegation league and form the mls into the preimer league of america. The nasl would fit right into the roll of the lower league durring the frist season. It would go just like it does is england, italy, france, spain, and germany. The bottom three are relegated to the lower league at the end of the year and the top 3 teams from the nasl would go into the mls. Would probably name them something different so they sound like conjoined leagues but i think it could work.

I dont however seeing the mls being on board with something like this. The mls seems like they are trying to monopolize north american soccer and something like this would run the risk of putting teams that mls didnt build on top on the league.
It'll happen I think eventually. The MLS has bigger fish to fry right now. They have to avoid a lockout. Players not happy with the current CBA and I can't argue with them.

There's also a big push right now from USL-Pro to become their partner as far as a relegation system goes. We shall see.

;

I don't see a relegation system ever working here.

Personally, I hate the way the Euro leagues are structured. Unless you are a fan of one of the top 4 or 5 clubs, your team has no shot at winning a title.

Just got two free tickets to the home opener for the Armada, woot woot

;

Quote:Just got two free tickets to the home opener for the Armada, woot woot

I would think the crowd to that game should hit 20k

Quote:I don't see a relegation system ever working here.

Personally, I hate the way the Euro leagues are structured. Unless you are a fan of one of the top 4 or 5 clubs, your team has no shot at winning a title.

I agree. I think that's why most fans just get drunk and sing songs the entire match.   Hey wait, that sounds like fun. 

Quote:I agree. I think that's why most fans just get drunk and sing songs the entire match.   Hey wait, that sounds like fun. 
I'd probably say no. I think the draw of the MLS team and it being game one was a big reason for the 14,000. I hope I'm wrong.

;

Quote:I don't see a relegation system ever working here.

Well im a chelsea fan so I can understand where you are coming from because its always fun for me to watch epl since they have been in the hunt ever since roman abrohamovich took over and its pretty much been the same teams for the past decade that win the league. But, the system does provide oppotunity for teams like south hampton who where relegated a few years ago only to build a strong side in the lower league come back into the preimiership and make to push Into a postion where they are contenders to qualify for the champions league next year. Winning the league is a big deal dont get me wrong, but witht the structuring of the chmpions league it creates a level of competiveness at the top of the league tables that is always fun to watch in any league. That is obviously somthing the american league would be lacking( champions league) but i still think it would promote a opportunity for alot of different in clubs in the US to grow. Esspecially considering the US is decades(if not longer) from having teams that have anything near the salary budgets of top tier euro teams, i dont think our problem will be having the same teams always winning at the top. Imo, thats something that comes from lopsided salary budgets from one team to another. Chelsea for example will be good for a while because if the offload their talent, they will increase their budget to spend, thus cycling in top players. Other teams will have to find a diamond in the ruff, such as tottenham with gareth bale , to be able to spend the same amount of money as chelsea will just dumping a few players. This, imo, is the real reason euro soccer seems to cater to top teams more than others, not league structure.

Quote:I agree. I think that's why most fans just get drunk and sing songs the entire match.   Hey wait, that sounds like fun. 
I think this is relevant to this discussion and Jaguars fans in general:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PpJBR_rQJk

With Khan's shipyard plans not including room for a soccer stadium, I wonder if the Armada could look towards the Brooklyn area? Seems to be a lot of vacant area over there and would put them close to the Riverside crowd. Just a thought.

Quote:With Khan's shipyard plans not including room for a soccer stadium, I wonder if the Armada could look towards the Brooklyn area? Seems to be a lot of vacant area over there and would put them close to the Riverside crowd. Just a thought.
I really don't think there was room there for a soccer specific stadium, parking etc.

;

Quote:I really don't think there was room there for a soccer specific stadium, parking etc.

Isn't there a bunch of vacant land between Leila St and Jackson St? I haven't been by there in awhile but a year or so ago there was absolutely nothing there. I know 220 riverside is going up in that area but not sure of anything behind it?

Quote:Isn't there a bunch of vacant land between Leila St and Jackson St? I haven't been by there in awhile but a year or so ago there was absolutely nothing there. I know 220 riverside is going up in that area but not sure of anything behind it?

Nvm, google map showed nothing there but apparently there are building popping up all over in that area. Maybe they could potentially build something in the Lavilla area?

Armada just had two called up for international duty, Pascal Millien for Haiti and Shawn Nicklaw for Guam. Couple of international friendlies.

;

If the practice fields at the Shipyards are the first phase built, could the current practice fields be used as a location for a soccer stadium?

;

;

Quote:If the practice fields at the Shipyards are the first phase built, could the current practice fields be used as a location for a soccer stadium?

Khan said the plan would be to start with the western part of the shipyards and then move east so the fields will probably be the last thing built. Even so I don't think they would be able to seat enough people.

Years ago there was talk of moving the fairgrounds, maybe they could build a stadium there?