Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Here's the problem

Quote:I can accept those reasons as to how it's happening. I fully believe the WR are not adjusting, the line is not picking up the blitz and the rookie QB takes the sack.

My question is WHY? Why do professional WR ( I don't care rookie, 2nd year ect...) why don't they know to adjust but people watching on a message board know they should? Why is that such a hard concept that in week 11 they haven't figured it out?
In most cases, the differences in the game from the college to the pro levels impact QBs and WRs far more than the transition does in other areas. 

In college, many of these WRs thrive because of sheer athletic ability because they're better athletes than the guy on the other side of the line in many instances.  That's not the same in the NFL where the guy on the other side of the ball may be equally or even more athletic.  Then it comes down to nuance and making the necessary adjustments.  Rookie receivers tend to struggle more often than not, and this is where you tend to see difficulty.  It's a pretty significant learning curve, especially when you're looking at far more complex playbooks than they've seen in college.  

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:So what the "fans" wanted to see the kid play, but it's the staff that decided he was ready, they're the ones responsible for this mess. Unless we're suggesting the fans some how forced the staffs hand?

3rd overall pick should be expected to come in and at least compete, he's giving me Gabbert flashbacks at this point.

After a 10 sack game, the staff made the determination that Bortles mobility would be more effective behind that line in minimizing the number of negative plays.  I don't think they honestly felt he was completely ready to go, and what we're seeing now in his regression is the same issues that he was working on leading up to the season.  His footwork is terrible. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:After a 10 sack game, the staff made the determination that Bortles mobility would be more effective behind that line in minimizing the number of negative plays.  I don't think they honestly felt he was completely ready to go, and what we're seeing now in his regression is the same issues that he was working on leading up to the season.  His footwork is terrible. 

Well their plan isn't working.  I'll take the BB from the first couple of games when he had freedom to audible over this crap we have now.

Thread title should read "Here's one of the multitude of problems". 

One of these years.............

Quote:After a 10 sack game, the staff made the determination that Bortles mobility would be more effective behind that line in minimizing the number of negative plays.  I don't think they honestly felt he was completely ready to go, and what we're seeing now in his regression is the same issues that he was working on leading up to the season.  His footwork is terrible. 

I had hoped that with a bye week the coaching staff could get his footwork back to where it should be, at least temporarily. Yet his very first pass after the bye was poor. Apparently Bradley thinks he's still a defensive coordinator since that's all he improved during the bye (and that for just two quarters).

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:I had hoped that with a bye week the coaching staff could get his footwork back to where it should be, at least temporarily. Yet his very first pass after the bye was poor. Apparently Bradley thinks he's still a defensive coordinator since that's all he improved during the bye (and that for just two quarters).

He had to unlearn a lifetime of bad mechanics in a matter of months.  Expecting that to stick in the short amount of time he had to make the adjustments is unreasonable.  When he started to regress, it should have been expected.  Having a week off wasn't going to fix that.  In reality, he shouldn't be starting right now if they were going according to plan. 

I'm pretty sure the onus of preparing the offense falls on the shoulders of Fisch and his offensive coaching staff. 

Quote:Well their plan isn't working.  I'll take the BB from the first couple of games when he had freedom to audible over this crap we have now.
Their plan isn't working right now.  We'll see if that's still the case a year from now.  This season was never about racking up a ton of wins.  That should have been clear to anyone once we started seeing how many rookies were assuming starting roles, and where those rookies were playing. 

BB from the first couple of games was going up against teams that had zero film on him to work with.  A lot has changed since then. He should be getting better based on experience, but when you're talking about a guy who had to completely change his mechanics while adapting to the speed of the NFL game, he would have been far better served to NOT be starting as early on as he did.  That's all in the past now, and we're seeing the end result of rushing to get him on the field. 

Quote:Caldwell is just as fault for making this team so young.  This sucks to watch this team play

DING DING DING DING. People seem to brush over this.

Caldwell is not doing a great job incorporating free agents with our youth.

Quote:I'm pretty sure the onus of preparing the offense falls on the shoulders of Fisch and his offensive coaching staff. 

The buck stops with Bradley.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:He had to unlearn a lifetime of bad mechanics in a matter of months.  Expecting that to stick in the short amount of time he had to make the adjustments is unreasonable.  When he started to regress, it should have been expected.  Having a week off wasn't going to fix that.  In reality, he shouldn't be starting right now if they were going according to plan. 

I'm pretty sure the onus of preparing the offense falls on the shoulders of Fisch and his offensive coaching staff. 

That tells me he has a commitment problem.

A great QB doesn't regress because he's concentrating on gameplanning now. He just adds extra time spend practicing his mechanics. Whether that's in his living room, in the lunch line at the stadium, or in the film room watching the next team's scouting report, he should be reinforcing the basics all of the time.

Quote:The buck stops with Bradley.
Amen!

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2014, 01:33 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Quote:Their plan isn't working right now.  We'll see if that's still the case a year from now.  This season was never about racking up a ton of wins.  That should have been clear to anyone once we started seeing how many rookies were assuming starting roles, and where those rookies were playing. 

BB from the first couple of games was going up against teams that had zero film on him to work with.  A lot has changed since then. He should be getting better based on experience, but when you're talking about a guy who had to completely change his mechanics while adapting to the speed of the NFL game, he would have been far better served to NOT be starting as early on as he did.  That's all in the past now, and we're seeing the end result of rushing to get him on the field. 

Chad Henne gave them no choice. They were in serious danger of doing long term damage to the fan base. They hung themselves with that one. Henne was just so bad, he forced their hand.

Basically, If Bortles career doesn't pan out, it is essentially Chad Henne's fault.

Quote:Chad Henne gave them no choice. They were in serious danger of doing long term damage to the fan base. They hung themselves with that one.

They should have went after Fitz and let Henne walk.

I never understood Caldwell's obsession with stopping that guy from reaching free agency.

I've given Caldwell a major pass so far, but looking back at that position makes me wonder what he thought he saw in Bortles if he seemed so intent on having Henne on the roster.

Quote:That tells me he has a commitment problem.

A great QB doesn't regress because he's concentrating on gameplanning now. He just adds extra time spend practicing his mechanics. Whether that's in his living room, in the lunch line at the stadium, or in the film room watching the next team's scouting report, he should be reinforcing the basics all of the time.
I disagree.  I see a QB who came from a mid-level program who had the potential and the skill set to be a very good QB in the league.  He had areas that needed work, and that was the focus for him leading up to the season.  I don't think he was ready to go when they forced him into the starting role.  I think the mistake here was the coaching staff caved to fan sentiment.  The calls to bench Henne were getting loud, and that was being pushed on them constantly by the media.  Rather than sticking to their plan, they buckled, and we're seeing the end result of that now. 

Even some of the greatest QBs struggled as rookies.  This is not something new.  I don't think it's a lack of commitment, or a lack of effort for Bortles.  I think it's just the typical learning curve and adjustment to the pro game that we're seeing right now.  It's exacerbated by the lack of a consistent running game, a young line, and very young receivers.  Hopefully he can overcome this and be the guy everyone would hope he'd become for this team.  That remains to be seen. 

Quote:So what the "fans" wanted to see the kid play, but it's the staff that decided he was ready, they're the ones responsible for this mess. Unless we're suggesting the fans some how forced the staffs hand?

3rd overall pick should be expected to come in and at least compete, he's giving me Gabbert flashbacks at this point.

Easily the biggest mistake of Caldwell's young career is rolling with Henne.

Quote:Chad Henne gave them no choice. They were in serious danger of doing long term damage to the fan base. They hung themselves with that one. Henne was just so bad, he forced their hand.

Basically, If Bortles career doesn't pan out, it is essentially Chad Henne's fault.
They should have stuck to the plan.  Letting the fans determine who is starting has yet to be proven to be the right strategy. 

If Bortles doesn't pan out, it's got nothing to do with Henne. 

Quote:DING DING DING DING. People seem to brush over this.

Caldwell is not doing a great job incorporating free agents with our youth.

I thought Caldwell made a lot of mistakes in 2013. Hiring a completely inexperienced coach staff to coach a completely inexperienced team is his biggest mistake IMO. He seems to have done a lot better in 2014, at least as far as the draft is concerned.

It's Gus' choice that rookies are starting over veterans, some of whom were cut after being starters at the beginning of the season (Bradfield, Guy, Brewster).

Quote:I disagree.  I see a QB who came from a mid-level program who had the potential and the skill set to be a very good QB in the league.  He had areas that needed work, and that was the focus for him leading up to the season.  I don't think he was ready to go when they forced him into the starting role.  I think the mistake here was the coaching staff caved to fan sentiment.  The calls to bench Henne were getting loud, and that was being pushed on them constantly by the media.  Rather than sticking to their plan, they buckled, and we're seeing the end result of that now. 

Even some of the greatest QBs struggled as rookies.  This is not something new.  I don't think it's a lack of commitment, or a lack of effort for Bortles.  I think it's just the typical learning curve and adjustment to the pro game that we're seeing right now.  Hopefully he can overcome this and be the guy everyone would hope he'd become for this team.  That remains to be seen. 

There's a difference between not being ready, playing poorly, having a learning curve, and regressing in mechanics.

His mechanics looked pretty decent through the preseason and for the first few games of the season.

It's clear that he has regressed a bit and his accuracy has suffered for it, but that's an indictment of his commitment to football.

It's normal to have muscle memory problems from time to time, but recently he's had a pretty continual issue with it, and that shouldn't be the norm, it should be the exception at this point.

It's crazy we could've sat the kid IF we hadn't been betting on Henne to hold the fort. That's what causes me to question all faith in this new regime. They expected Henne to hold the fort?

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:There's a difference between not being ready, playing poorly, having a learning curve, and regressing in mechanics.

His mechanics looked pretty decent through the preseason and for the first few games of the season.

It's clear that he has regressed a bit and his accuracy has suffered for it, but that's an indictment of his commitment to football.

It's normal to have muscle memory problems from time to time, but recently he's had a pretty continual issue with it, and that shouldn't be the norm, it should be the exception at this point.
You're still talking about a guy who had to completely re-work his mechanics over the course of one off season after playing with those lousy mechanics for his entire football career.  Sorry, but it takes more than a few months to un-do, then develop the kind of muscle memory that takes learning new mechanics from the practice field to instinctual when the games count.  He wasn't ready regardless of how good he looked against vanilla defenses in the preseason.