Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Outsmarted - Halftime Adjustments

Quote:This team was woefully unprepared. They thought they would try and use the gameplan the Patriots dished out, but anyone in their right mind knew the Colts would adjust. The Jags also did not adjust for what teams have been doing the last 4 games; loading the box! This offensive handcuffing is pathetic. I mean really, what the heck do they have to lose!! There seems no ability to adjust on the fly during games and go with what is working.

It's not about adjustment, it's about players.

The patriots could make their plan work because they have Brady. I'd liken the colts game against the patriots to a boxing match where the better fighter does nothing but body blows, but it works because the other boxer is so scared of the haymaker coming he never lowers his hands and just gets beaten down by a better fighter.

The Jaguars can't make that gameplan work because they have no haymaker to make the other team scared.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:2nd Half

Jags - 3 plays for negative <11> yards - punt

Colts - Touchdown

* score 13-3

Jags 3 plays for +1 yard - punt

Colts - Touchdown

* score 20-3

Jags - 3 plays for negative <2> yards - punt

Colts - Field Goal

* score 23-3

Jags - 6 plays for +10 yards - punt

JAGS --- 4 POSSESSIONS FOR NEGATIVE <2> YARDS

Colts halftime adjustments:  Stack the box, blitz, and force the issue.

Jags halftime adjustments:  It's 6-3, just keep doing what we're doing. Play not to lose and keep it in the hands of our defense.

Knowing how to pick up a blitz is not a halftime adjustment.   It's basic offense.  That stuff is learned in the preseason when the offensive system is installed.  

Maybe it's a rookie QB, or a rookie center, or rookie WRs, or bad coaching, but we do not have a clue as to what to do about a blitz.   We can't block it, we can't burn it, we can't audible to a better play, the WRs cannot make sight adjustments.  

It's basic stuff.   Either we learn how to deal with a blitz or we cannot win any more games period. 

Quote:2nd Half

Jags - 3 plays for negative <11> yards - punt

Colts - Touchdown

* score 13-3

Jags 3 plays for +1 yard - punt

Colts - Touchdown

* score 20-3

Jags - 3 plays for negative <2> yards - punt

Colts - Field Goal

* score 23-3

Jags - 6 plays for +10 yards - punt

JAGS --- 4 POSSESSIONS FOR NEGATIVE <2> YARDS

Colts halftime adjustments:  Stack the box, blitz, and force the issue.

Jags halftime adjustments:  It's 6-3, just keep doing what we're doing. Play not to lose and keep it in the hands of our defense.
:thumbsup:  Agreed its been like that all season long.. no 2nd half adjustments from the coaches...

Quote:I honestly don't think either team made any real adjustments in the 2nd half.  I think Indy just came out and decided it was time to control the game. 

"Halftime adjustments are a myth. A team just doesn't have time to make any adjustments in the short halftime break."

Any apologist will tell you that.

So then, how do you explain the clots completely shutting down the Jags pass rush in the second half after giving up 5 sacks in the first half?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:"Halftime adjustments are a myth. A team just doesn't have time to make any adjustments in the short halftime break."

Any apologist will tell you that.

So then, how do you explain the clots completely shutting down the Jags pass rush in the second half after giving up 5 sacks in the first half?

It's not just the colts. It's literally every game the Jaguars play.

Halftime adjustments aren't huge changes aren't the same as gameplanning all week, but it's clear there's something happening to allow the other team to decide on what they need to do in the second half to blow the Jaguars away.

Quote:Pretty simple really.  They don't trust Blake to not throw INT's.  I'm not really sure what to make of it.  By the end of the third quarter I was just laughing because there wasn't anything else to do.
It's really bad.  So instead the game plan is to dink and dunk on these short routes so all the DBs have to do is sit on the routes and not worry about anything deep.

Quote:So then, how do you explain the clots completely shutting down the Jags pass rush in the second half after giving up 5 sacks in the first half?

I haven't really checked but could it just be our guys getting tired and the Colts just executing better?

I think the Colts maybe just came out a little flat and underestimated us.

I don't think we have adjusted once at halftime this year. Well except when Bortles came in.

Quote:I haven't really checked but could it just be our guys getting tired and the Colts just executing better?

I think the Colts maybe just came out a little flat and underestimated us.

Tired? In the first clots drive after halftime?

Then at halftime they stopped underestimating us. Maybe their coaches got on them? Maybe their coaches explained some things they could do better? Maybe their coaches passed out amphetamines? Whatever it was, it worked, and our coaches didn't do it.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Do good coaches make adjustments? Whats that like?

Quote:It's not about adjustment, it's about players.

The patriots could make their plan work because they have Brady. I'd liken the colts game against the patriots to a boxing match where the better fighter does nothing but body blows, but it works because the other boxer is so scared of the haymaker coming he never lowers his hands and just gets beaten down by a better fighter.

The Jaguars can't make that gameplan work because they have no haymaker to make the other team scared.
Even if the fighter is bigger, faster and beating the hell out of you, you still need to throw a punch every once in a while. There is no agression there, plain and simple. The difficult question is why...the OC...the players...who knows.

[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Quote:Even if the fighter is bigger, faster and beating the hell out of you, you still need to throw a punch every once in a while. There is no agression there, plain and simple. The difficult question is why...the OC...the players...who knows.

Quite correct. An inferior opponent needs to try for some risky punches.

The Jaguars thought they could fight like Muhammad Ali when they're actually Butterbean.

This is the Jaguars offensive play-calling.  Most notably, save #3, 4, & 5.

Quote:This is the Jaguars offensive <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F9jXYOH2c0'>play-calling</a>. Most notably, save #3, 4, & 5.
This is funny as hell. Hahaha
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

I think the Jags have definitely suffered from other teams adjusting their attack to exploit the Jags' weaknesses, but  I'm not sure there are many adjustments to be made on the Jags side of the ball in most games.  They should be made - but the ability to execute them doesn't exist. 

Adjustments are available when an offense or defense is multi-dimensional. (multiple in coach speak sometimes) 

If one dimension is being keyed on by the opponent - you focus on another. 

If you are on defense - you shift your focus to stop the dimension the opponent has chosen to place it's focus upon. 

The Jags have only one dimension on offense. (the run)   And it's only been effective in only4 or 5 games due to the line's failure to open running lanes most of the time. 

On defense - the Jags have one dimension as well. A decent pass rush. (in most games)  All other aspects of the defense are effective only sporadically. Stopping the run has been available to them at times as a viable strategy - but usually doesn't hold up for 60 minutes. 

This lack of available dimensions leaves the Jaguars vulnerable to other teams' adjustments and at a loss to make adjustments of their own. It's that simple.  

This is what coaches mean when they say "we want to be multiple" or if they describe their opponent as "multiple."  The Jags are one-dimensional on a good day.  Some days they are actually less than that.  They need to be multiple on both sides of the ball to make any tangible adjustments that aren't just smoke and mirrors. They can't do it right now.

Any defensive shift rapidly open a new and easily identified weakness elsewhere.  And there just isn't any offensive execution available to them outside of a sporadic run game.  It's pathetic and hard to watch.  I'm very disappointed in the lack of execution by so many players and praying that the youth on offense is the culprit. 

Scoring by quarter:

1st quarter, Opponents 39 - Jaguars 37

2nd quarter, Opponents 107 - Jaguars 37

3rd Quarter, Opponents 72 - Jaguars 19

4th Quarter, Opponents 87 - Jaguars 68

Considering we've scored 1 TD in the 3rd quarter, we are obviously getting killed on the adjustments.  The other thing these numbers tell me is that we start out pretty well.  Then the other team stops taking us lightly and proceeds to curb stomp us into oblivion for the next 2 quarters to put the game out of reach.  Then, during the last quarter we work some garbage time stats.

One of these years.............

Sounds about right Jags437

Wow.  The scoring by quarter is alarming (in a season in which I really did think we were making progress prior to the London trip).

Quarters 1-2-3

Opponents 218 points

Jags 93 points

Quote:Wow.  The scoring by quarter is alarming (in a season in which I really did think we were making progress prior to the London trip).

Quarters 1-2-3

Opponents 218 points

Jags 93 points

93? Packers beat that in 2 games back to back.

Quote:Wow.  The scoring by quarter is alarming (in a season in which I really did think we were making progress prior to the London trip).

Quarters 1-2-3

Opponents 218 points

Jags 93 points

Great point...and anything done in the 4th is garbage time against 2nd and 3rd string players.