Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Playoff Committee

Quote:Who what 4 teams do YOU think should be in the playoffs? And what 4 teams do you think the playoff committee will put 1 through 4?

If a 4 team system is flawless and won't leave anyone deserving out, then your 4 teams should match up with theirs.

ive said that i think there should be an 8 team playoff. its really too hard for me to say. i mean i could put my opinion, but trying to speculate what the committee will do is folly.

its somewhat a combo of the best 4 teams with the caveat that record is taken into consideration.

im guessing, in no order, fsu, miss st, bama, oregon.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

1. Bama 2. Oregon 3. FSU 4. Miss St

There you go for this week at least.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:1. Bama 2. Oregon 3. FSU 4. Miss St

There you go for this week at least.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/view-rankings'>http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/view-rankings</a>

Full list
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Surprised Miss St remained in top 4.  Just my opinion but not sure I believe they are that good.  Although if the committee truly believed they were #1 and lost on the road to #4, why would they fall very far?  I've always thought the AP and Coaches poll wasnt ranking teams based on how good a team was, but moreso, based on when you won and when you lost.  

YAY! The system is already broken, sweet. Just goes to show they should have had an 8 team playoff system cause someone that deserves it is going to be left out.

Other interesting thing is Ohio St being ahead of Baylor.  Lets say both teams win out, I dont believe Baylor has a game that stands out over Ohio St.  Sure Kansas St would be a good win.  But Ohio St will likely have a win at a neutral site against Wisconsin.  Is Baylor's remaining resume good enough to jump Ohio St's remaining resume?

Quote:YAY! The system is already broken, sweet. Just goes to show they should have had an 8 team playoff system cause someone that deserves it is going to be left out.

Why does any one loss team deserve to go?

Quote:I think it will be

Oregon

Alabama

FSU

MIssissippi State

TCU

Baylor

Ohio State

Ole Miss

Michigan State

Kansas State

We are just talking about the top four, not the top ten.

Alabama is on top this week.

Quote:Surprised Miss St remained in top 4.  Just my opinion but not sure I believe they are that good.  Although if the committee truly believed they were #1 and lost on the road to #4, why would they fall very far?  I've always thought the AP and Coaches poll wasnt ranking teams based on how good a team was, but moreso, based on when you won and when you lost.  
History shows that a #1 doesn't drop much lower then 2-3 spots after a loss like they had, on the road, to a pretty good team. 

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:We are just talking about the top four, not the top ten.

Alabama is on top this week.
No, many of us are talking more then just top four.

;

Quote:Other interesting thing is Ohio St being ahead of Baylor.  Lets say both teams win out, I dont believe Baylor has a game that stands out over Ohio St.  Sure Kansas St would be a good win.  But Ohio St will likely have a win at a neutral site against Wisconsin.  Is Baylor's remaining resume good enough to jump Ohio St's remaining resume?

Baylor had more Top 10 opponents (2) than Ohio State (1). Wisconsin needs to beat Minnesota Saturday, so I am not ready to predict the Big Ten West representative.

I guess winning and losing doesn't matter anymore. It's how you look in winning these games.

Quote:I guess winning and losing doesn't matter anymore. It's how you look in winning these games.

Or...or maybe....just try to follow me on this one.... It may sound a little crazy and I'm spit balling.... But maybe.... It is about more than record... Maybe its about who they think the actual best teams are???
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I have no issues with it. I really don't even care where they are ranked in the top four, IMO they got the right teams in there so it doesn't matter where they are at.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:Or...or maybe....just try to follow me on this one.... It may sound a little crazy and I'm spit balling.... But maybe.... It is about more than record... Maybe its about who they think the actual best teams are???

It is obviously about more than the record. If it was only about the record, we would be talking about Marshall.

That said, you have to consider records because it does not make any sense to put a two-loss team ahead of a one-loss team with a similar strength of schedule. But the SOS helps determine who the best one-loss teams are.

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2014, 07:55 AM by TravC59.)

Quote:I guess winning and losing doesn't matter anymore. It's how you look in winning these games.
They are definitely wishy washy at best in their logic. They talk out of both sides of their mouths.

Not sure why they are taking into account Oregon missing some offensive lineman in their loss at all. That's crap.

I do though think the order is correct at this given moment.

;

Quote:They are definitely wishy washy at best in their logic. They talk out of both sides of their mouths.

Not sure why they are taking into account Oregon missing some offensive lineman in their loss at all. That's crap.

I do though think the order is correct at this given moment.

I'm fine with Alabama bring ahead of FSU. They're playing the best right now IMO. I don't think an Oregon team that lost at home to an unranked Arizona team should be though.

It is turning into a joke at this point.

If only one school from the big five conferences is undefeated in mid-November, that school needs to be number one. 

Quote:Or...or maybe....just try to follow me on this one.... It may sound a little crazy and I'm spit balling.... But maybe.... It is about more than record... Maybe its about who they think the actual best teams are???

That is exactly what it is. Perception not reality. That is why TCU is ahead of Baylor even though Baylor beat TCU. And Georgia continues to be ranked high despite losing to two mediocre teams. It is about what the committee thinks not what they know.

Quote:It is obviously about more than the record. If it was only about the record, we would be talking about Marshall.

That said, you have to consider records because it does not make any sense to put a two-loss team ahead of a one-loss team with a similar strength of schedule. But the SOS helps determine who the best one-loss teams are.

Yes it does. If Alabama lost 2 games and Ohio state only loses 1 game. There is nothing you can say to convince me that Alabama isn't better than Ohio state. The SEC beats up on each other.

The point is, with my own two eyes I can tell you who the better team is.