Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Perry Fewell hired as DB coach

Quote:Wow.

A lot of us were under the assumption that Marrone would pick his own guys and Coughlin would just have to approve them.

It doesn't appear that way. It looks like Coughlin is pulling the strings on everything.
What did Marrone just say that gave you that impression?

Maybe, and most likely, Tom and Doug talked together.

Caldwell is the one left out.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Hes the coordinator on that side of the ball, if we dont let him be privy to the positional coaches interviews or voice his thoughts we have a problem.

Honestly he's a Gus guy. I don't want him having any hiring input. Let the people that have had success before handle that for him. I have no problems with Tom hiring coaches that know what their doing. Apparently you do.

Quote:I disagree, would much rather Tom hire the coaches. As with Marrone I'm sure Wash trust who Tom brings in. They are all proven winners
I'm a little worried about micro management.

You can put nice pieces together, but they don't always fit.

We will see. Still excited.

Quote:I disagree, would much rather Tom hire the coaches. As with Marrone I'm sure Wash trust who Tom brings in. They are all proven winners

Im not saying Wash should pick his staff, but he should definitely have a voice in the options they bring in.

Quote:Do you think Wash gets any input at all?

I was wondering the same about Marrone.

Looks like he *may* have had input on who else to keep from the former staff, but other than that it's looking like all Coughlin's calls.

Will this be Marrone's staff and team or Coughlin's?

Where does Dave fit into all this?

If we were going to do things this way... why the consultants?

Are they just picking up a check for nodding yes when Coughlin makes his choices?

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Im not saying Wash should pick his staff, but he should definitely have a voice in the options they bring in.
he probably has a voice but regardless Tom will bring in his staff. Wash will trust who Tom brings in

Quote:he probably has a voice but regardless Tom will bring in his staff. Wash will trust who Tom brings in

Tom isnt coaching...this isnt his staff.

My favorite work of Penny's was with Jane's Addiction.  Never was as big a fan of his other works.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Tom isnt coaching...this isnt his staff.
Yes it is.

He chose Marrone and he's now helping Marrone choose others. What do the Jags have to lose? They've been so bad that they need this.

Quote:Tom isnt coaching...this isnt his staff.
it doesn't matter. He knows proven coaches and he will do what is best for this team. Which is bring in proven coaches with championship experience

Quote:Yes it is.

He chose Marrone and he's now helping Marrone choose others. What do the Jags have to lose? They've been so bad that they need this.

Marrone has hired two people who worked with Tom extensively yes. They are also among the best in the NFL at where they coach and were on the market. Did Tom reccomend them? Sure. But im not going to believe that Tom is the only one hiring these guys. Rhey bring winning pedigree and thsts something Doug wants too.

Want to win and establish a winning mindset? Bring in coaches who have SB experience. What other highly thought of OL and DB coaches bring that? Plus Fewell is an ida fit with his background with forcing turnovers.

Honestly, we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. For every one of these hires it could be Tom reaches out to a guy, makes the hire, and says Marrone.....here is your new DB coach. The end.

OR

Tom talks to a guy and gauges his interest, tom asks marrone "hey you have any objections to hiring perry fewell to be the DB coach?" Marrone says no, fewell is hired, the end. 

Let's just see how it plays out instead of trying to create something out of nothing. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I tend to think that Tom is able to bring these guys to the interview table. They show themselves to be the best option and are hired. It doesn't need to be a conspiracy.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2017, 05:51 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quote:Honestly, we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. For every one of these hires it could be Tom reaches out to a guy, makes the hire, and says Marrone.....here is your new DB coach. The end.

OR

Tom talks to a guy and gauges his interest, tom asks marrone "hey you have any objections to hiring perry fewell to be the DB coach?" Marrone says no, fewell is hired, the end.

Let's just see how it plays out instead of trying to create something out of nothing.
I think its Tom is telling Marrone how good of coaches these guys are and he sees their track record and is just going with Toms word I more. He just trusts Tom. Of course he likes the interviews as well

Quote:I tend to think that Tom is able to bring these guys to the interview table. They show themselves to be the best option and are hired. It doesn't need to be a conspiracy.

Thats how I feel.

Is Tom highly reccomending them to Doug? No doubt. They were long time fixtures on bis staff. But Tom has to know being in the league as long as he has that the HC has to agree with these guys mindset anf like these guys to hire them. Otherwise its going to be a disaster. Toms too smart to do something like that. Hes had troubles with GMs screwing him before in NYG.

Quote:Honestly, we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. For every one of these hires it could be Tom reaches out to a guy, makes the hire, and says Marrone.....here is your new DB coach. The end.

OR

Exactly we don't know yet. At least its not like Coughlin is forcing Marrone to work with some scrubs, these guys are top of the range position coach's to have. I'm sure Marrone is happy to have them.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2017, 05:55 PM by jobclarke.)

Quote:I tend to think that Tom is able to bring these guys to the interview table. They show themselves to be the best option and are hired. It doesn't need to be a conspiracy.
Agree. Both may have guys of interest and have them interviewed....including Wash for all we know. At the end of the day the question is going to be asked....what his x guy done to confirm to us that he'll get the x group better? That's where we are

I think it just boils down to Wash and Marrone having trust in who Tom wants to bring in. I just don't think they are gonna disagree with Tom and say nah I dont want him here, when he is bringing in these proven coaches

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2017, 02:10 PM by Mowerguy.)

It seems people on this board will always find something to gripe about.

What you're seeing is that it makes Marrone's job easier (not that it's is easy) to build staff based on 

his own reputation (remember when JDR and gus had a hard time attracting quality coaching staff) and the fact that Coughlin is on board as Vice President of Football operations.

Don't you want Tom to make Doug aware of some guys that are willing to jump ship and join this staff?

Do you think they would even consider the opening and be available if Tom wasn't here?

Comon'....you can't have it both ways. Quit looking for a bogeyman in everything Tom, Doug and Dave (once we get to draft and FA) do,

Just relax and watch it all unfold!  :thumbsup:

Or would you rather have gus back.  :yucky:

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson