Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Perry Fewell hired as DB coach

Another one of Coughlins guys signed as DB coach. I'm liking this, these are great hires.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

D6 called this a few days ago! Smile

But Coughlin isn't in charge........

I will say this, I'm all for Coughlin having final say but I would not think that would be a great thing that he's influencing the coaching hires. Anyone agree that Marrone should be fully responsible for his coaching staff?

Awesome, he was Jags DB coach in 99 when we went 14-2 as well

Quote:But Coughlin isn't in charge........

I will say this, I'm all for Coughlin having final say but I would not think that would be a great thing that he's influencing the coaching hires. Anyone agree that Marrone should be fully responsible for his coaching staff?

Agree, I hope Tom and Doug are working together on the hires and not just forceing his guys on Doug. Coaching staff needs to gel

Coughlin has his eyes and ears on the offense and defense now. Plus he has history here.

We dont know that hes not...

This thing needs to get turned around and turned around quick. All three outside coaches have SB experience and likely have a lot of interest in this job considering who is now part of this organization. Both these former Giants coaches are highly regarded.

Joe D was in Jacksonville during JDR, not Coughlin. He is considered a top ST coach in football. He has a home in Jacksonville. No reason to think he was all TCs doing if your lumping him in with the others. Also, Todd Wash is still our coordinator and will be running the show on defense. You think that was TC?

Quote:Agree, I hope Tom and Doug are working together on the hires and not just forceing his guys on Doug. Coaching staff needs to gel

Coughlin and marrone seem to have similar personalities so I bet a lot of Tom's guys are plug and play anyway.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Another SB winning coach

Marrone on Fewell:

“Perry Fewell was a defensive coordinator for a Super Bowl winning team and is a tremendous addition to our coaching staff, as he is one of the premier secondary coaches in this league,” said Jaguars Head Coach <b>Doug Marrone</b>. “We are excited for Perry to return to where he made his NFL coaching debut 19 years ago and cannot wait for him to get on the field with our guys and help mold our young secondary into a consistent, league-leading group. Having played in the secondary himself, and experiencing success at the highest level as a secondary coach, I believe our defensive backs will quickly buy into Perry’s methodologies and teachings and help solidify the back end of our defense.”

I'm pretty sure marrone is on board with these hires.

Perry Fewell apologies ***

While he was the Giants DC his defenses averaged 40 takeaways a year.

160 takeaways in 4 years as a DC there, good enough for 3 most in the NFL during that stretch.

Quote:Marrone on Fewell:

“Perry Fewell was a defensive coordinator for a Super Bowl winning team and is a tremendous addition to our coaching staff, as he is one of the premier secondary coaches in this league,” said Jaguars Head Coach <b>Doug Marrone</b>. “We are excited for Perry to return to where he made his NFL coaching debut 19 years ago and cannot wait for him to get on the field with our guys and help mold our young secondary into a consistent, league-leading group. Having played in the secondary himself, and experiencing success at the highest level as a secondary coach, I believe our defensive backs will quickly buy into Perry’s methodologies and teachings and help solidify the back end of our defense.”
Wow.

A lot of us were under the assumption that Marrone would pick his own guys and Coughlin would just have to approve them.

It doesn't appear that way. It looks like Coughlin is pulling the strings on everything.

Do you think Wash gets any input at all?

Quote:Do you think Wash gets any input at all?
Hopefully not

Quote:Do you think Wash gets any input at all?

Hes a first time true DC. He doesnt have the ties of a veteran coach to lure guys here.

But yeah, im sure hes in the interviews and talking with Marrone and Coughlin about these guys. But hes not going to pick his staff or anything on defense.

This is a tremendous hire btw
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Hopefully not

Hes the coordinator on that side of the ball, if we dont let him be privy to the positional coaches interviews or voice his thoughts we have a problem.

Quote:Hes the coordinator on that side of the ball, if we dont let him be privy to the positional coaches interviews or voice his thoughts we have a problem.
I disagree, would much rather Tom hire the coaches. As with Marrone I'm sure Wash trust who Tom brings in. They are all proven winners