Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cyprien

Quote:"Major slump". 

He completely shutdown Heath Miller, Antonio Gates and Jordan Cameron.

It's like clockwork. 

Cyprien plays well and silence.

He misses a tackle or gives up one passing play and multiple threads are started about how he is not good or needs to be replaced.

Hilarious.

People on this board are clueless.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2014, 03:32 PM by DewtheMathis.)

Quote:Hes a hitter not a ball hawk.

Hes fine.
I thought he might have slipped a bit, but I really think it has more to do with the defense as a whole than on him.

-------------------------

News: Cyprien had another big day Sunday, racking up a game-high 15 tackles (12 solo) to go with one pass defended. (Sun Oct 12)

Spin: Cyprien now has 26 total tackles over the past two games. He's yet to record an interception or sack this season, however.

the above from ESPN...

From Pro Football Focus;

Our Safeties Ratings in:                     2013                                                 2014

John Cyprian                                    84th of 86                                          69th of 83

Josh Evans                                       78th of 86                                          75th of 83

Winston Guy                                     73rd of 86                                          77th of 83

So what would our defense be if we had just middle of the road safeties?

I thought someone told me that the jaguars wanted to draft Matt Elam but he went earlier to the Ravens and the Jaguars after that took Cyprien.  Is this true?

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2014, 11:07 AM by BasshunterX.)

Quote:I thought someone told me that the jaguars wanted to draft Matt Elam but he went earlier to the Ravens and the Jaguars after that took Cyprien.  Is this true?

Elam isn't better than Cyprien.

Also, Those who think Its Cyprien's job to be the next troy Polamalu need to wake up and learn football. That isn't his role in this defense at the moment. His job is to come up and make tackles as well as prevent big plays. Don't expect sacks. Don't expect tackles for a loss. Don't expect interceptions.

I think Cyprien will look a lot better once we get a better FS back there. Granted, its possible that that is two-fold, as well, but we'll see. In any event, I don't think that Caldwell will just sit back and not bring in more SS talent as time goes on. Cyprien will either improve or the next guy up will eventually take his job. 

For a "big hitter" I haven't seen a lot of hard hits from Cyprien this year. For a hard hitter that gets that many tackles, you'd think he'd cause a fumble every now and then
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2014, 11:17 AM by CSO14.)

Quote:Elam isn't better than Cyprien.

Also, Those who think Its Cyprien's job to be the next troy Polamalu need to wake up and learn football. That isn't his role in this defense at the moment. His job is to come up and make tackles as well as prevent big plays. Don't expect sacks. Don't expect tackles for a loss. Don't expect interceptions.

Really? What was he drafted for that high? I know Polamalu was doing that his rookie and sophomore year. Ridiculous. I'm not saying he's a bust by any stretch, but this is comical not expecting a defensive player to NOT get INTs, tackles for loss or sacks? What's he supposed to do? Just tackle after they already made the play?

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:From Pro Football Focus;

Our Safeties Ratings in:                     2013                                                 2014

John Cyprian                                    84th of 86                                          69th of 83

Josh Evans                                       78th of 86                                          75th of 83

Winston Guy                                     73rd of 86                                          77th of 83

So what would our defense be if we had just middle of the road safeties?

So, how about the cornerbacks?

2013                                                    2014

Blackmon                                                Tied for 22nd of 110                            98th of 109

Gratz                                                       42nd of 110                                         50th of 109

Ball                                                          Tied for 22nd of 110                            44th of 109

McCray                                                    Too few plays to rate                           35th of 109

Harris                                                       55th of 110                                          Too few plays to rate  

I would think the many posts supporting drafting the best possible free safety next time around are right.  Most of the rest of the defense is playing lights out.  If we could get just average play from the safeties, as a group, we would have one of the top defenses in the league.  Our corners are pretty good, especially considering we have Colvin coming available in the near future.  If we can upgrade the safety position in general to the level of the cornerbacks by getting a top free safety draft pick we should be able to slow other teams offenses to a level that our young offense can exceed.

I'm just wondering what the expectation for him was by fans? What do people think a strong safety does exactly? I'm beginning to think that is the problem. Also I would like you guys to go look at the 2013 draft and do a redraft and tell me where you think he would go now. I think most of you guys would be surprised. 

In our D he wont get many interceptions, it's our ballhawking FS that we're yet to find that will

Quote:I'm just wondering what the expectation for him was by fans? What do people think a strong safety does exactly? I'm beginning to think that is the problem. Also I would like you guys to go look at the 2013 draft and do a redraft and tell me where you think he would go now. I think most of you guys would be surprised. 

The people who say he is under performing have no idea what to expect, and that's the problem. They are talking out of their behind.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Quote:Really? What was he drafted for that high? I know Polamalu was doing that his rookie and sophomore year. Ridiculous. I'm not saying he's a bust by any stretch, but this is comical not expecting a defensive player to NOT get INTs, tackles for loss or sacks? What's he supposed to do? Just tackle after they already made the play?
Quote:I'm just wondering what the expectation for him was by fans? What do people think a strong safety does exactly? I'm beginning to think that is the problem. Also I would like you guys to go look at the 2013 draft and do a redraft and tell me where you think he would go now. I think most of you guys would be surprised. 
Quote:The people who say he is under performing have no idea what to expect, and that's the problem. They are talking out of their behind.

Clearly only Polamalu level production is acceptable for a 2nd round safety in year 2. I mean, if he isn't playing to the level of a first ballot hall of famer then he is a bust right?

Quote:The people who say he is under performing have no idea what to expect, and that's the problem. They are talking out of their behind.
Not true!  In Madden...... /sarcasm

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

The defense has one bad game as a unit, the board goes to crucify Cyprien.

*Safety <a class="" href='http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster/johnathan-cyprien/8fbc4092-b78d-4279-88ac-4cbf7075151d/' title="Johnathan Cyprien">Johnathan Cyprien</a>, a second-year veteran who Caldwell said is “playing at a very high level – just his run fits, his ability to come up and make the tackle … He’s been very productive against the run.” Caldwell added that cornerback <a class="" href='http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster/dwayne-gratz/7e713be5-3f28-48e3-9a62-38fe6bed3f43/' title="Dwayne Gratz">Dwayne Gratz</a> and <a class="" href='http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster/demetrius-mccray/b3690eaf-a46b-4a57-8cff-d0d6792f9519/' title="Demetrius McCray">Demetrius McCray</a> are also improving. “I think we’ll continue to see improvement from those guys.” Of the entire secondary, he said, “Those guys are coming along.” …

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...c4c1679ece

Quote:<span style="background-color:rgb(0,0,0);">*Safety </span><a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster/johnathan-cyprien/8fbc4092-b78d-4279-88ac-4cbf7075151d/'>Johnathan Cyprien</a><span style="background-color:rgb(0,0,0);">, a second-year veteran who Caldwell said is “playing at a very high level – just his run fits, his ability to come up and make the tackle … He’s been very productive against the run.” Caldwell added that cornerback </span><a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster/dwayne-gratz/7e713be5-3f28-48e3-9a62-38fe6bed3f43/'>Dwayne Gratz</a><span style="background-color:rgb(0,0,0);"> and </span><a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster/demetrius-mccray/b3690eaf-a46b-4a57-8cff-d0d6792f9519/'>Demetrius McCray</a><span style="background-color:rgb(0,0,0);"> are also improving. “I think we’ll continue to see improvement from those guys.” Of the entire secondary, he said, “Those guys are coming along.” …</span>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Caldwell-speaks-Seeing-good-signs/a6cc8e98-647f-47d2-9910-40c4c1679ece'>http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Caldwell-speaks-Seeing-good-signs/a6cc8e98-647f-47d2-9910-40c4c1679ece</a>
That can't be.

The message board analysts have said he sinks...
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

Oh the GM is saying positive things about his 2nd overall draft pick?

What an unbiased source
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Cyprien was suppose to be a breakout player this year what happened? Im starting to think he might not be the box safety fit we are looking for this defense. Maybe the Jags have to look into Landon Collins SS, with a trade down get Collins. Trade Cyprien or something, I don't think he will last very long blowing assignments like he is. Trade him while he is worth something. He is on pace to make more tackles then last year but he seems to be a weakness on defense. With Collins coming out is it worth to go after him and give up on Cyprien this quick? Just an idea, let me know what you guys think.

I definitely don't think he's going to be the safety of our future, but I don't think we should get rid of him yet. He looks middle of the road average, and nothing more/less. He seems to show up more than often at the wrong time of plays. Then again, there really aren't too many amazing safety's in the league at the moment. 

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Think what you want about Caldwell's mention of Cyprien, but they key to what he said was the development of the players. I take his comment on Cyprien more in the sense that he's thinking Cyp can develop to be a core piece of this build.

As Dave said, he hired Gus because of his work in Seattle developing young talent. Time will tell if Cyprien will be the guy, but at this stage of the build, there's still a lot of potential and not much downside. The record doesn't show it yet but the team is improving.