Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Free Safeties

Give me Landon Collins in the first or Kurtis Drummond in the second.  Can't say I've been watching Fresno State football (yes, please excuse that Derron Smith fans) but I'll try to get on it.  The bad news for us is that this looks like a cruddy draft year—period.  The good news, it's a decent year for FS.  I only wish this draft had some more LB talent.  We have no OTTO LB, our other OLBs are looking terrible (please, Telvin Smith, get in the game) and Poz would be a HOF if HOF MLBs were told to tackle people after they run the ball 6 yards and be worthless with zone/man coverage.

BORTLES ISN'T A FRANCHISE QB. FOURNETTE WILL BE A BUST.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Running backs are only worth a first-round pick in fantasy football. One need look no further than 2012 to see why: Trent Richardson is a huge bust, David Wilson's already out of the league and Muscle Hamster can't stay on the field. Why would you burn a first-round pick on that trio when Eddie Lacy, Giovani Bernard and Carlos Hyde are on the board in two?

I feel much the same way about safeties in the first round, but a special safety like Earl Thomas more than warrants a one. I don't know that there are any safeties like that coming out this year, although Derron Smith could be a great second-round pick. Maybe Landon Collins, maybe, but I think he's more of a strong safety, and we have one of those.

Quote:Running backs are only worth a first-round pick in fantasy football. One need look no further than 2012 to see why: Trent Richardson is a huge bust, David Wilson's already out of the league and Muscle Hamster can't stay on the field. Why would you burn a first-round pick on that trio when Eddie Lacy, Giovani Bernard and Carlos Hyde are on the board in two?

I feel much the same way about safeties in the first round, but a special safety like Earl Thomas more than warrants a one. I don't know that there are any safeties like that coming out this year, although Derron Smith could be a great second-round pick. Maybe Landon Collins, maybe, but I think he's more of a strong safety, and we have one of those.
Agreed that RBs aren't really worth first round picks.  The get hurt and fall off way too easily and you can find really good ones in later rounds.

I have to say. If there is one position where the Jaguars need to sign a veteran it is at free safety. Like the Eagles did with Malcolm Jenkins this offseason.

Quote:Agreed that RBs aren't really worth first round picks. The get hurt and fall off way too easily and you can find really good ones in later rounds.
I wouldn't feel bad if we end up with Corey Grant from Auburn as a RB. He could be a good pickup in the 4th round. He isn't a power back, but he's a fast 200lb back.

Quote:I have to say. If there is one position where the Jaguars need to sign a veteran it is at free safety. Like the Eagles did with Malcolm Jenkins this offseason.

You know what Caldwell is doing - building this team through the draft and filling gaps with veterans. That is the formula for long-term success and opposite of Oakland's strategy, which is why they fail to do anything every year.

Quote:We need help so bad at free safety we don't need an Earl Thomas to value one as a frist rounder on our board.
Gene Smith called. He wants his draft philosophy back.

Quote:Gene Smith called. He wants his draft philosophy back.

Huh? I am just telling you what David Caldwell is doing.

Quote:Huh? I am just telling you what David Caldwell is doing.
You really think that Caldwell is reaching for need? He admitted to trading up for Linder because Linder was, in his eyes, one of the last starting-caliber guards available. Beyond that, please find me an example of Caldwell reaching for a player.

Gene-ius, on the other hand...

Quote:You really think that Caldwell is reaching for need? He admitted to trading up for Linder because Linder was, in his eyes, one of the last starting-caliber guards available. Beyond that, please find me an example of Caldwell reaching for a player.

Gene-ius, on the other hand...
it wont be a reach when we trade back a few spots and take Gurley or Collins

Quote:it wont be a reach when we trade back a few spots and take Gurley or Collins
Gurley would be a huge reach. He's not Bo Jackson, and Bo Jackson is what I'd look for if drafting a RB in round one these days.

Collins would also be a huge reach if we trade back "a few spots" making him, say, somewhere in the third through sixth pick. He's good, but he's not Earl Thomas.

The 6th pick wouldnt be a reach for either!

I cant name 5 players I would rather have than Gurley or Collins. Name them for me?

Quote:FYI we do not need another running back behind a crappy offensive line. Drafting Gurley would be nothing short of very idiotic. Our first round pick needs to be on defense.

Worst comment I've seen in awhile... Gurley is going to be a beast. 

To be honest, if our defense wasn't on the field so much this year, they probably wouldn't look as bad as they do. 

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:I cant name 5 players I would rather have than Gurley or Collins. Name them for me?

It's because this draft is absolutely horrible unless you want Mariota. 

Quote:You know what Caldwell is doing - building this team through the draft and filling gaps with veterans. That is the formula for long-term success and opposite of Oakland's strategy, which is why they fail to do anything every year.

The problem is his picks, especially on defense, aren't looking very great. 

Cyprien does not look like the safety we need for the future, neither does Gratz. 

I'm hoping Telvin Smith turns out to be a great diamond in the rough, but it might take a little bit. 

Quote:It's because this draft is absolutely horrible unless you want Mariota.
I dont even think Mariota will be that great but I do think Collins might be the best safety to come out since Eric Berry and Gurley the best RB to come out since AP. Are 2 biggest areas of need IMO.

Quote:I dont even think Mariota will be that great but I do think Collins might be the best safety to come out since Eric Berry and Gurley the best RB to come out since AP. Are 2 biggest areas of need IMO.

Yes agreed, and yeah I've never been sold on Mariota like everyone hypes him up to be. We don't get to watch all of Oregon's games here on the east coast, but I try and watch whichever ones I can and he's never looked #1 pick worthy or really even Heisman worthy tbh. 

I do want Gurley, although I think we're going to have too high of a draft pick to warrant using it on him. 

I'm worried about him looking as good as Richardson did at Alabama and coming to the NFL and being one of the worst RB's in the league like Richardson has done since he came to the NFL. 

Quote:Yes agreed, and yeah I've never been sold on Mariota like everyone hypes him up to be. We don't get to watch all of Oregon's games here on the east coast, but I try and watch whichever ones I can and he's never looked #1 pick worthy or really even Heisman worthy tbh.

I do want Gurley, although I think we're going to have too high of a draft pick to warrant using it on him.

I'm worried about him looking as good as Richardson did at Alabama and coming to the NFL and being one of the worst RB's in the league like Richardson has done since he came to the NFL.
Richardson was behind the best online in college and there styles are totally different. I know what you mean though but I dont see it.

Quote:I dont even think Mariota will be that great but I do think Collins might be the best safety to come out since Eric Berry and Gurley the best RB to come out since AP. Are 2 biggest areas of need IMO.

Collins plays ss and struggles in coverage. Nothing like Eric berry and he won't be taken as high as you think.

He is overrated because he playa on bama. If we were looking for a hard hitting run stopping safety, then he could be the pick. But we have that with cyp.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Collins plays ss and struggles in coverage. Nothing like Eric berry and he won't be taken as high as you think.

He is overrated because he playa on bama. If we were looking for a hard hitting run stopping safety, then he could be the pick. But we have that with cyp.
Collins plays FS too and he isn't that bad in coverage. I think Collins goes top 10, where do you think he goes?