Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I don't think Henne was the problem with our defence

If you use the 3 years for a draft to develop, the 2011 draft would be in their prime this year.  Check out the 2011 draft for this team.  Basically CSIII is all we got left.  We had that kinda of draft after years of poor drafting.  This team is young and has raw undisciplined talent.  Add in all of the new restrictions from the CBA in the time span that we have struggled and all you can do is wait it out.

No worries we will get some wins this year.  We do play other AFC South teams after all.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:..they just bad, there's a consistent lapse in concentration which causes us to give up like 4/5 big plays per game, all our sacks seems to be coming from the fact that the other teams offense forgets we have a pass rush and just slacks off.

This was meant to be our strength coming through the season but we just don't have that premier defensive player to raise everyone else up.
This is the truth. Henne made the losses worse by giving nothing on offense but the defense is just void of talent. 

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2014, 08:28 PM by JaguarJosh05.)

D is bad but at least we have a product watchable on the field with Bortles in the game. Suddenly the run game was finding some traction. We didn't do enough in the second half to stay in it. We went up 14-10 and then before the offense saw the field again it was a 24-14 deficit. It wasn't the same game. Defense has to find a way to get off the field in crucial moments, at least some of the time. I will say it looked a little better from last week, and the Chargers are a good offense and made plays. Marks had some good penetration in the second half and I am waiting for Clemons to do something. I think any reasonable fan that watches all the games can tell you that Henne wasn't our only problem. But he wasn't helping. We have to get better in the hidden yardage area also of returning punts. Ace should help. We lost again today against an overall much better team but it felt different, not a sense of hopelessness.

No pain, no gain.

Quote:If you use the 3 years for a draft to develop, the 2011 draft would be in their prime this year.  Check out the 2011 draft for this team.  Basically CSIII is all we got left.  We had that kinda of draft after years of poor drafting.  This team is young and has raw undisciplined talent.  Add in all of the new restrictions from the CBA in the time span that we have struggled and all you can do is wait it out.

No worries we will get some wins this year.  We do play other AFC South teams after all.

Many understand this. It's the vocal few who refuse.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Many understand this. It's the vocal few who refuse.

I'm not even sure what this means?  Are you just setting up a straw man in order to create a division within the MB in order to have someone to argue with?

Quote:Lol there was a huge difference this week versus last week. The defense got torched by one of the hottest Qbs in the league right now.

^This

The first TD was from a LB covering a WR. That's on the coaches for not putting an extra CB in the game.

The 2nd TD was Winston Guy being fooled on a double move. I think Guy was in only because Gratz was injured.

The 3rd was a perfect pass from Rivers.

Other than that, there were four FGs, not great but the D held a very good offense to three TDs, same as the Seahawks.

I doubt Bortles vs.Henne made much difference, but there was improvement.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Many understand this. It's the vocal few who refuse.

Understand what exactly? Rebuilding means you would at some point see improvement. We've seen zero improvement on defense. On offense, it only improved because Bradley finally put in Bortles.

The defense got gassed from being on the field too much, lol.

Seriously though, at least the offense moves the ball now, somewhat resembling a real NFL team. Not quite there yet. But, chalk that up to inexperience across the board.

On defense, I'm not going to give much credit to an improved run D. San Diego didn't run the ball very well against Buffalo either (Brown rushed it 31 times for only around 60 yards. That's a huge number of rushes for basically nothing).

The defense is not good, regardless of who's playing on offense.

Yes, Bortles made it more bearable to watch. He's gonna be really good after more experience.

But today,, completely shut out the entire 2nd half. Goose-egg. That's similar to what we all have been watching from the Jags for 3 years.

Quote:Understand what exactly? Rebuilding means you would at some point see improvement. We've seen zero improvement on defense. On offense, it only improved because Bradley finally put in Bortles.
That is false. We have seen a better defensive line and actual sacks lol and a competent passing game. Unfortunately it wont all come together in year 1 and 1/2 

Quote:Lol there was a huge difference this week versus last week. The defense got torched by one of the hottest Qbs in the league right now.

True, but this defense is getting torched by everyone they play..

Roethlisberger

350 yards 4 TD's next weekend..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:True, but this defense is getting torched by everyone they play..

Roethlisberger

350 yards 4 TD's next weekend..

I'm not defending the Defense I'm just pointing out the Bortles DID make the entire team better today. Does anyone think we're only down by 3 at halftime if Henne is starting? 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:That is false. We have seen a better defensive line and actual sacks lol and a competent passing game. Unfortunately it wont all come together in year 1 and 1/2 

Competent passing game when Bortles is in, which is what I said.

As for the defense, the sack numbers are there. But there pressure is not. And the team giving up 80 more yards and 10 more points per game right now than they were last year.

Quote:Henne doesn't even play defense, or defence for our euro pals.

Someone please stop the madness.

Yeah, I had to kind of laugh at the suggestions by some of the fans that Bortles in the lineup would suddenly transform our defensive secondary into a bunch of pro-bowlers.  Keeping drives alive does allow them to stay a bit fresher but it does nothing for getting those guys to line up in the right spots.  Smile

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:Yeah, I had to kind of laugh at the suggestions by some of the fans that Bortles in the lineup would suddenly transform our defensive secondary into a bunch of pro-bowlers.  Keeping drives alive does allow them to stay a bit fresher but it does nothing for getting those guys to line up in the right spots.  Smile

Giving up 30 to the chargers isn't too unexpected for anyone. They are a good offense, they put up points. We were actually in this ball game which would not have been the case if Henne was playing. If you can't tell the difference between this result against the Chargers and being down 0-30 in the first half to the Colts, I can't help you.

Quote:..they just bad, there's a consistent lapse in concentration which causes us to give up like 4/5 big plays per game, all our sacks seems to be coming from the fact that the other teams offense forgets we have a pass rush and just slacks off.

This was meant to be our strength coming through the season but we just don't have that premier defensive player to raise everyone else up.

I felt Chad didn't help the defense out, but when you let opponets score 39 points on average (prior to yesterday's game) than it has more to do with the QB (he doesnt tackle).

The Defensive Tackles did fairly well in this game, but no pressure from the ends.... the Chargers arent really a running team... but the Jaguars huge weakness is DBs (avg 309 passing yards allowed per game prior to yesterdays game which allowed more in passing)....  It didnt help having our CB get injured Dwayne Gratz & 8 year veteran Will Blackmon come in making the nickle CB package even weaker... in depth.

The defense started off looking good and had their moments but it became obivious that he could pretty much throw where he wanted (harder against Allen Ball though).

Defensive line rotation and good push on their part is directly related to the QB sustaining drives.  Our secondary would only benefit if they never took the field.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:I thought the same thing. I don't get what those two are trying to prove.
Our defense did play better in certain aspects; the Chargers running game was all but shut down. they played with more 'attitude' than I've seen since the first half of the Eagles game and with overall more energy. The energy part is a direct result of not being on the field constantly like they were when Henne was the qb. However, better offensive play as a result of superior performance from the quarterback and letting a faster running back get more carries can't change blown defensive coverage, but as we all witnessed, it certainly helps our defense to not be 'gassed' before the end of the first half like they had been.

I'm not happy with the outcome of the game.... what Jag fan would be? However, we did see some positives in spite of another double digit loss. We did do better at a lot of things in this game that we haven't since the first half of the Eagles game. For example, we were converting 3rd downs! This kept the offense on the field longer and our defense on the sideline resting. But even a good offense can't do anything about a defensive secondary that continually blows coverage.

Most of those 33 points that were put up on us yesterday were the result of blown coverage that an elite quarterback like Philip Rivers was able to take advantage of. He didn't have all day in the pocket either. He just dropped, looked, and fired quickly. He was really a model of how an efficient quarterback should operate. Take out the blown coverage and the score of this game is much closer.

Like I said, I'm still not happy about the final score, but the Jags lost to legitimate contenders yesterday. Of all the games we've played so far, this is the only one that was (IMO) out of our reach from the start; there were just too many factors stacked against us from the 'git go'.The Chargers are a very good team with an elite quarterback; remember, they beat Seattle too. If we were to correct those blown secondary coverage issues, we would be a lot more competitive especially now that we have a quarterback who gives us a chance to win.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Our team is dead last in NFL rankings of Defense based on yards allowed but mainly against the Pass (320 per game) against the run the team is ranked 25th with allowing (130.5 but it was big runs that hurts).

The DEs and LBs are doing average to below against the run, but the pass defense is the worst in Jaguars History.

Quote:Giving up 30 to the chargers isn't too unexpected for anyone. They are a good offense, they put up points. We were actually in this ball game which would not have been the case if Henne was playing. If you can't tell the difference between this result against the Chargers and being down 0-30 in the first half to the Colts, I can't help you.

The defense gets a little bit of a bad rap. They did improve a little bit on Sunday which I credit partly to the personnel changes and partly due to the offense getting better TOP. The problems in the secondary though are endemic and a different QB (or running back or recievers) won't magically fix it. Wait, unless what you're saying is that it is fixed?
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:We were told that Bortles would inspire better play from all. Maybe that's time released inspiration for the defense?
Yeah well we were told Henne's play wouldn't push Bortles into starting. "He'd start when ready"

Sometimes people are just wrong.

OT: The secondary needs help and it isn't on the way.

The Dline is better than it has been in a long time, but we still need a stud DE.

Henne wasn't the problem of the D but he surely put them on the field a lot more often.