Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Inexperience at receiver: who is at fault

Quote:2nd game into the 2nd season...way too early to judge this "true" rebuild. I've not seen a "true" rebuild that only took 2 years (or 1 full season and 2 games). This team was plain awful before Caldwell got here, thus a complete gutting of the team had to be done. What makes it even worse is this team had no cornerstones to build on; thus, a gutting of underachievers. My guess and hope is they will gel as the season goes on.

Sure, it may be too early to judge the front office, but it isn't too early to be weary of its current direction considering the team was flirting with historical levels of bad last year, and two games into the season look very similar to two games into last season.

I have no idea whether completely gutting the roster was the right move rather than replacing pieces as we went. I think GMs would have a mixed opinion on that. What I do know is that last year was a sort of bad unseen by the NFL in ages and that two games in the Jaguars are picking up exactly where they left off after the bye week. That has to stop, and it has to stop this week. There's no excuse to not field a semi-competitive team after two offseasons.

For the record, you could cite the Seahawks as a 2-3 year rebuild. The Falcons, the Packers, the Panthers. "Rebuild" is a bit of a subjective term, but those would be textbook successful 2-3 year rebuilds in my book. The Panthers were especially barren in the talent department.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Obviously you cant plan on the cecil injury happening, but being in a situation where your top 2 receivers are rookies is unacceptable. Ace doesnt count, he's more of a slot guy.

They brought in Emmanuel Sanders for a workout. Obviously denver is a more ideal situation, but given our cap number, it would have been OK to overspend.

Same on the o-line. They could have offered mack more. If you're gonna sign the best players availavle in FA, you're gonna overspend. It's just going to happen.

Instead, we went into the season with a VERY inexperienced roster, coached by a VERY inexperienced coaching staff. Again, goes back to Caldwell.
nope... this goes back to Gene Smith. Caldwell didn't create this situation, Gene did.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014, 08:29 PM by Rattlesnake.)

Quote:Sure, it may be too early to judge the front office, but it isn't too early to be weary of its current direction considering the team was flirting with historical levels of bad last year, and two games into the season look very similar to two games into last season.

I have no idea whether completely gutting the roster was the right move rather than replacing pieces as we went. I think GMs would have a mixed opinion on that. What I do know is that last year was a sort of bad unseen by the NFL in ages and that two games in the Jaguars are picking up exactly where they left off after the bye week. That has to stop, and it has to stop this week. There's no excuse to not field a semi-competitive team after two offseasons.

For the record, you could cite the Seahawks as a 2-3 year rebuild. The Falcons, the Packers, the Panthers. "Rebuild" is a bit of a subjective term, but those would be textbook successful 2-3 year rebuilds in my book. The Panthers were especially barren in the talent department.
I agree...the term "rebuild" is very subjective. My preference, especially for a franchise like Jax, would be a "true" or "total" rebuild...essentially a gutting of the roster if you will. One of my favorite teams has always been the Packers, and even though they have one of the top QB's, they're always tinkering with what I would call a "targeted" rebuild. They need help badly on D, BTW. But, you're right, rebuild can have numerous methodologies, plans, terms, etc. I was excited to see the added defensive players Caldwell signed, but I honestly didn't think they would win more than 5 games...and that's entirely because of the offense. I know Jags fans hate to hear it, and understandably so, but this season was really all about the young offense learning the NFL, learning to play together, and gel. I am hoping that it can get fixed at least enough to allow Bortles a minimum of 8 starts, giving him time to run the offense and time to mesh with the offense.

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014, 08:39 PM by muddylips.)

Quote:I disagree. A team in its second year of a "true rebuild" should not be getting destroyed every week like the previous year.

I don't know what people think a rebuild is but it is not a 4-5 year-long process. This should be the year that the Jaguars should be competing with teams. It's just that Caldwell did not do enough to put this team in a position to compete and that falls squarely on his shoulders.

And that doesn't make him a bad GM. Every GM makes mistakes, but the sooner we stop hailing Caldwell and Bradley as the saviors of the franchise, the clearer we can see those mistakes, and the less disappointed we'll be if it doesn't pan out, just like Gene Smith.
I disagree. This roster was almost completely gutted! Most teams who are doing a 'true rebuild' (whatever that is...) don't have to do the degree of 'ectomies' that has taken place here.. and still is. It's an unhappily unique situation for us. We are investing in youth (rookies) with high potential to build this team... with a few proven veterans on defense. But there is only so many draftees and f/a's that Dave can get per season. Regrettably, our needs exceed our draft and f/a acquisition numbers. Consequently, we are forced to 'fill holes' with less than stellar talent or out right unproven wanna-be's. We'll need at least one more draft to fill those positions (like on our o-line, for instance...) with quality players; but even then, those will be rookies. Hopefully, we will be able to get some pretty decent f/a's to help 'bring along' the rookies. But that's the plan; to build with youth and use f/a to shore up until the rookies mature, it takes time. We all wish we could have a good team right now but... it's a work in progress. Not many NFL teams have ever had to do this to the degree that the Jags are. It is what it is; come along or bail, it's up to you.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Rabble rabble rabble!!!! Gotta blame someone! Rabble rabble rabble!!!!!!
<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

Quote:I disagree. This roster was almost completely gutted! Most teams who are doing a 'true rebuild' (whatever that is...) don't have to do the degree of 'ectomies' that has taken place here.. and still is. It's an unhappily unique situation for us. We are investing in youth (rookies) with high potential to build this team... with a few proven veterans on defense. But there is only so many draftees and f/a's that Dave can get per season. Regrettably, our needs exceed our draft and f/a acquisition numbers. Consequently, we are forced to 'fill holes' with less than stellar talent or out right unproven wanna-be's. We'll need at least one more draft to fill those positions (like on our o-line, for instance...) with quality players; but even then, those will be rookies. Hopefully, we will be able to get some pretty decent f/a's to help 'bring along' the rookies. But that's the plan; to build with youth and use f/a to shore up until the rookies mature, it takes time. We all wish we could have a good team right now but... it's a work in progress. Not many NFL teams have ever had to do this to the degree that the Jags are. It is what it is; come along or bail, it's up to you.
Yep...I had stated earlier that this was needed. I termed it a "true" rebuild because of the complete gutting of the team, essentially. No, I'm not taking any credit for the term, it's just how I see the rebuild. This franchise, as painful as it is right now, needed this to be done. You guys have much more time and passion invested in this team than I do (moved here 3 years ago from Dallas) and I get the frustration. Fact is, you guys have always been great fans, but the personnel acquisitions under Gene Smith's GM tenure, and even Harris, decimated a chance at having a long-term, consistently good team. You guys ended up extremely mediocre because of it. I honestly think that 2015 is going to shock many around the country, but the key is for the offense to gel, to make a few more offensive acquisitions, AND for Bortles to start a minimum of 8 games THIS season. Also hoping they get a modern day TE next season as well. Seems like many other teams have explosive, middle to deep threat TE's vs a TE that is really only known for his offensive line play. But, I know they're hard to find too. As for Bortles, I hate it when commentators use the words "it's inevitable", we all know that. What they should be saying is "it would be best for the franchise to start him the 2nd half of the season in order to make a playoff run in 2015".

Quote:None of our coaching staff is Inexperienced... Especially Sullivan...

NH3...
Bradley is 2 games into his second season as HC.  If that's not inexperienced, what is?

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014, 10:43 PM by Jags32250.)

Quote:I disagree. This roster was almost completely gutted! Most teams who are doing a 'true rebuild' (whatever that is...) don't have to do the degree of 'ectomies' that has taken place here.. and still is. It's an unhappily unique situation for us. We are investing in youth (rookies) with high potential to build this team... with a few proven veterans on defense. But there is only so many draftees and f/a's that Dave can get per season. Regrettably, our needs exceed our draft and f/a acquisition numbers. Consequently, we are forced to 'fill holes' with less than stellar talent or out right unproven wanna-be's. We'll need at least one more draft to fill those positions (like on our o-line, for instance...) with quality players; but even then, those will be rookies. Hopefully, we will be able to get some pretty decent f/a's to help 'bring along' the rookies. But that's the plan; to build with youth and use f/a to shore up until the rookies mature, it takes time. We all wish we could have a good team right now but... it's a work in progress. Not many NFL teams have ever had to do this to the degree that the Jags are. It is what it is; come along or bail, it's up to you.

Well put.

The truth is most of our starters before the purge would barely be back ups on most NFL rosters, which means that the back ups should have been washing cars, selling insurance or sitting on a tractor in BFE.

So now in two drafts and two FA periods we are trying to fill our roster with real NFL talent, good luck.

Who knows whether what is on the field is starting talent or back up, time can only tell that.

For now all we can do is root for our young Jags and hope someone paid the dang electric bill so some light bulbs will start coming on
A good loser is a good loser

Quote:If you guys arent willing to put blame on caldwell for the state of the line and receiver position, idk what to say.

What was this thread about again?  

You want to squeeze o-line into this now?  OK.  The only thing I can question Caldwell on is this Beadles character.  He's not looking the part just yet. 

But - as is often the case - O-line's tend to make each other look better when they function properly.  Beadles being sandwiched between a LT with less than one NFL game of experience at the position and Jaques friggin' McClendon gives me pause when it comes to totally writing him off after two games.  We'll see.  Maybe Caldwell botched that one. Too soon to know.  

He tried and tried hard to sign a great center. It didn't work.  

He drafted a center and guard that might or might not work out. We'll see.  I'll go ahead and assume it's Caldwell's fault that Pasztor broke his hand. 

Anything else?

Quote:...And i agree with the youth thing. But i think they gotta follow through with that idea at qb too. Let them all play together. Blake needs experience every bit as much as those receivers do

I'm agreement with you here.  I think the kid should start very soon. Before week 6.  I'm hoping week 4. 

Quote:I agree...the term "rebuild" is very subjective. My preference, especially for a franchise like Jax, would be a "true" or "total" rebuild...essentially a gutting of the roster if you will. One of my favorite teams has always been the Packers, and even though they have one of the top QB's, they're always tinkering with what I would call a "targeted" rebuild. They need help badly on D, BTW. But, you're right, rebuild can have numerous methodologies, plans, terms, etc. I was excited to see the added defensive players Caldwell signed, but I honestly didn't think they would win more than 5 games...and that's entirely because of the offense. I know Jags fans hate to hear it, and understandably so, but this season was really all about the young offense learning the NFL, learning to play together, and gel. I am hoping that it can get fixed at least enough to allow Bortles a minimum of 8 starts, giving him time to run the offense and time to mesh with the offense.
Do they let the fans come to Everbank and watch them do this for free until December? Was it a raffle for a free year in those nice little cabanas they built inside the stadium? Damn I wish I signed up but didn't hear about none of this news.