Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Inexperience at receiver: who is at fault

Obviously you cant plan on the cecil injury happening, but being in a situation where your top 2 receivers are rookies is unacceptable. Ace doesnt count, he's more of a slot guy.

They brought in Emmanuel Sanders for a workout. Obviously denver is a more ideal situation, but given our cap number, it would have been OK to overspend.

Same on the o-line. They could have offered mack more. If you're gonna sign the best players availavle in FA, you're gonna overspend. It's just going to happen.

Instead, we went into the season with a VERY inexperienced roster, coached by a VERY inexperienced coaching staff. Again, goes back to Caldwell.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

And the thing is, they had to know this would be a possibility. Now we have a very condensed offense, which is in turn keeping our prized qb on the bench.

So -   Injuries and guys signing with better teams is Caldwell's fault?  I think that stuff is just called "the NFL."

He tried to sign Sanders and he did sign Doss. Shorts and Doss are injured.  

He drafted two really great prospects. Those guys are looking like rookies in their rookie year.  

Not sure what more he could have done. 

Who's at fault?  Why do injuries have to be someone's fault? 

Quote:Obviously you cant plan on the cecil injury happening, but being in a situation where your top 2 receivers are rookies is unacceptable. Ace doesnt count, he's more of a slot guy.

They brought in Emmanuel Sanders for a workout. Obviously denver is a more ideal situation, but given our cap number, it would have been OK to overspend.

Same on the o-line. They could have offered mack more. If you're gonna sign the best players availavle in FA, you're gonna overspend. It's just going to happen.

Instead, we went into the season with a VERY inexperienced roster, coached by a VERY inexperienced coaching staff. Again, goes back to Caldwell.

We did nothing wrong with Alex Mack, he agreed to join us but because of the transitional tag the Browns was able to keep him if they offered him the same amount of money and if i remember correct they was the only team in the NFL with more cap room than us.

Quote:Obviously you cant plan on the cecil injury happening, but being in a situation where your top 2 receivers are rookies is unacceptable. Ace doesnt count, he's more of a slot guy.

None of our coaching staff is Inexperienced... Especially Sullivan...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:So -   Injuries and guys signing with better teams is Caldwell's fault?  I think that stuff is just called "the NFL."

He drafted two really great prospects. Those guys are looking like rookies in their rookie year.  

And Ace Sanders doesn't count apparently.

Quote:We did nothing wrong with Alex Mack, he agreed to join us but because of the transitional tag the Browns was able to keep him if they offered him the same amount of money and if i remember correct they was the only team in the NFL with more cap room than us.

So So True...

NH3...
"AZANE"

To me, this is exactly what a "true" rebuild looks like, and quite frankly, I'm happy they decided to gut the players that should have been gone anyways. Rebuilds are miserable, but performing a "true" rebuild is the right way to do it IMHO.

Quote:To me, this is exactly what a "true" rebuild looks like, and quite frankly, I'm happy they decided to gut the players that should have been gone anyways. Rebuilds are miserable, but performing a "true" rebuild is the right way to do it IMHO.

I disagree. A team in its second year of a "true rebuild" should not be getting destroyed every week like the previous year.

I don't know what people think a rebuild is but it is not a 4-5 year-long process. This should be the year that the Jaguars should be competing with teams. It's just that Caldwell did not do enough to put this team in a position to compete and that falls squarely on his shoulders.

And that doesn't make him a bad GM. Every GM makes mistakes, but the sooner we stop hailing Caldwell and Bradley as the saviors of the franchise, the clearer we can see those mistakes, and the less disappointed we'll be if it doesn't pan out, just like Gene Smith.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:So -   Injuries and guys signing with better teams is Caldwell's fault?  I think that stuff is just called "the NFL."

Yeah, not much else Caldwell could have done it his category.  As far as WR goes as a position group, there is more hope today than there's been in a very long time.

If the OP wants to find something to complain about with Caldwells job, this certainly isn't it.

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014, 06:14 PM by clfcrn777.)

If you guys arent willing to put blame on caldwell for the state of the line and receiver position, idk what to say.

I dont have a problem with all the talent we drafted, but this many shouldnt be seeing the field all at once. We kept henne to take pressure off bortles. I dont understand why we dont take that approach at other positions. Because clearly the learning curve is pretty steep for these guys.

Quote:I disagree. A team in its second year of a "true rebuild" should not be getting destroyed every week like the previous year.

I don't know what people think a rebuild is but it is not a 4-5 year-long process. This should be the year that the Jaguars should be competing with teams. It's just that Caldwell did not do enough to put this team in a position to compete and that falls squarely on his shoulders.

And that doesn't make him a bad GM. Every GM makes mistakes, but the sooner we stop hailing Caldwell and Bradley as the saviors of the franchise, the clearer we can see those mistakes, and the less disappointed we'll be if it doesn't pan out, just like Gene Smith.
2nd game into the 2nd season...way too early to judge this "true" rebuild. I've not seen a "true" rebuild that only took 2 years (or 1 full season and 2 games). This team was plain awful before Caldwell got here, thus a complete gutting of the team had to be done. What makes it even worse is this team had no cornerstones to build on; thus, a gutting of underachievers. My guess and hope is they will gel as the season goes on.

Quote:If you guys arent willing to put blame on caldwell for the state of the line and receiver position, idk what to say.

I dont have a problem with all the talent we drafted, but this many shouldnt be seeing the field all at once. We kept henne to take pressure off bortles. I dont understand why we dont take that approach at other positions. Because clearly the learning curve is pretty steep for these guys.
Ok, spell out what you would have done differently regarding the receiver position. 

It hasn't had this much potential in forever.  It's one of the brightest shining position groups looking forward.  We aren't winning the super bowl this year, we are lining up our pawns.

Quote:2nd game into the 2nd season...way too early to judge this "true" rebuild. I've not seen a "true" rebuild that only took 2 years (or 1 full season and 2 games). This team was plain awful before Caldwell got here, thus a complete gutting of the team had to be done. What makes it even worse is this team had no cornerstones to build on; thus, a gutting of underachievers. My guess and hope is they will gel as the season goes on.

You're right, this team was bad before he got here.... But we didnt have nearly this many blowouts before. And we at least used to be able to run the ball.

Quote:You're right, this team was bad before he got here.... But we didnt have nearly this many blowouts before. And we at least used to be able to run the ball.
I certainly don't disagree with your post. I guess my way of thinking is I'd rather build with youth, than be mired in mediocrity for years. TBH, I wasn't here during all those years of disappointment, and I can easily see how everyone wants consistent wins. I'd rather go through a couple of years of pain and abandon constant mediocrity, for a solid, consistent playoff team (which I think they will be next year).

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014, 06:27 PM by David4499.)

Quote:I certainly don't disagree with your post. I guess my way of thinking is I'd rather build with youth, than be mired in mediocrity for years. TBH, I wasn't here during all those years of disappointment, and I can easily see how everyone wants consistent wins. I'd rather go through a couple of years of pain and abandon constant mediocrity, for a solid, consistent playoff team (which I think they will be next year).
This one think they're a playoff team next year... hahahahaha

don't worry... there's still loads of pain to go around.b :whistling:

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:I certainly don't disagree with your post. I guess my way of thinking is I'd rather build with youth, than be mired in mediocrity for years. TBH, I wasn't here during all those years of disappointment, and I can easily see how everyone wants consistent wins. I'd rather go through a couple of years of pain and abandon constant mediocrity, for a solid, consistent playoff team (which I think they will be next year).

I agree, they could be a playoff team next year. And i agree with the youth thing. But i think they gotta follow through with that idea at qb too. Let them all play together. Blake needs experience every bit as much as those receivers do

The kids' parents are at fault for not making them 2 years sooner.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote: Why do injuries have to be someone's fault? 

Well you could argue that Hurns injury is Bradley's fault.

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014, 06:36 PM by Rattlesnake.)

Quote:I agree, they could be a playoff team next year. And i agree with the youth thing. But i think they gotta follow through with that idea at qb too. Let them all play together. Blake needs experience every bit as much as those receivers do
I agree. I'd like to see Bortles get at least 8 game starts, but they have got to fix that atrocious O-Line 1st. At least make it semi-respectable first. Last thing this franchise and fan base needs is to see him carted off on a golf cart. I honestly think the coaches believe he's just as skilled as Henne, and obviously has enormous upside...but, I honestly think they're scared to death of the beating he'll take. Additionally, I think the Gabbert "Experience" doesn't apply here because Bortles doesn't appear to be afraid in the pocket at all. Gabbert always looked scared out of his mind, and still does even today.