Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why can't we run block anymore?

Quote:Zone blocking has been our method for years so that obviously is not the problem. Neither is coaching because we had the same offensive line coach last year. Players? We were very good run blockers for more than a deade with many changes up front. It did not matter who our tackles and guards were. We were always good at blocking for running backs. So what change can explain the sudden inability to block for running backs?

One idea I had that nobody has ever talked about is how many hours George Yarno works. Although we have offensive asistant coaches, only one is an OL coach. What are these offensive asistants doing? Is Yarno working less now while receiving cancer treatments? We have no interim or assistant offensive line coach.

Another crazy thought: We got lucky with a pair of great running backs, who made the linemen look better than they were because of their speed. The ankle injury makes Toby Gerhart run slower than normal and even when healthy, he is not as fast as MJD and Fred Taylor were. Maybe our line simply needs the right running back.

Then there are the Eagles. Perhaps their defensive line made our offensive line look terrible. Remember Philadelphia was a playoff team last season. The Redskins may validate this because they suck. Obviously that can't explain everything, but it must have been a factor Sunday.

What do you think? Am I nuts or could these be legitimate reasons we could not run block at Philadelphia?

In the past I  had noticed that other running backs didnt perform well only one did Maurice Jones-Drew made the Oline probably look a lot better than they actually were & that goes true for Freddy T.

Of course they had a great blocking FB which doesnt hurt ... whereas our FB is non-exisent.  

The Eagles are bad at pass defense but they are decent against the run (around average last year if I recall).  You have to beat the Eagles by throwing, and while Chad was able to captialize in the first half by our Defense getting 3 turnovers in good field position and a couple great catches by Hurns...  They eventually caught on and started to triple cover Hurns sometimes having four guys on him....

Sad that the rest of the Wrs couldnt step up and Lewis dropping the ball at critical times didnt help either...   You wouldve thought Chad wouldve learned from last year not to count on Lewis...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

In today's NFL I think a lot more emphasis is placed on the pass blocking being that's the way the league is going. Which we are pretty decent at.

That being said, as someone mentioned earlier, once we have a QB on the field that makes opposing defenses respect our passing game (hopefully week 3) they are still going to stack the box and without a FT or MJD skilled runner, that's going to be a huge challenge. And I like Gerhart, but he's no FT.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Easy answer, we don't have good blockers.

Luke Joeckel is not a good blocker?

Quote:We should have offered Alex Mack a contract that couldn't be matched.

The Browns have more money than we do and promised to match whatever we offered. Even if our offer sheet was $100 million, they would have matched it.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014, 03:34 PM by badger.)

Quote:Luke Joeckel is not a good blocker?

The Browns have more money than we do and promised to match whatever we offered. Even if our offer sheet was $100 million, they would have matched it.

not really.  not yet.

Quote:Because it's their first NFL game together as a group?
Rewatch the game and watch the linemen.  Yes, there are some communication errors.  However, most of the time guys are just whiffing and getting beat 1 on 1.  And I'm not impressed at all with Beadles.  We overall lack talent on the line I think.

Quote:should have offered a bajillion dollars

[Image: 0894cef526c09d0a48dc319b7f363cdce3b4400a...08d7f3.jpg]

Quote:Rewatch the game and watch the linemen.  Yes, there are some communication errors.  However, most of the time guys are just whiffing and getting beat 1 on 1.  And I'm not impressed at all with Beadles.  We overall lack talent on the line I think.

I expected Zane Beadles to be an upgrade. Apparently Peyton Manning made him look better than he is.

Quote:[Image: 0894cef526c09d0a48dc319b7f363cdce3b4400a...08d7f3.jpg]

So $7?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Rewatch the game and watch the linemen.  Yes, there are some communication errors.  However, most of the time guys are just whiffing and getting beat 1 on 1.  And I'm not impressed at all with Beadles.  We overall lack talent on the line I think.

This is obvious; the Jaguars arguably have one of the least talented offensive lines in the league, I’m referring to athleticism and pure strength. I don't think Luke Joeckel will ever be dominant in the run game but he offers Joe Thomas like upside as a blindside protector. Zane Beadles was good in 2012 but his play fell off drastically last year, the center and right guard positions are laughable right now, and RT is bad too. Cam Bradfield and Austin Patzsor are below average right tackles; Austin offers more as a pass protector but is terrible in the run game. At the end of the day the Jags have 3 positions (C, RG, RT) on the offensive line that needs to be upgraded, it obviously won't happen this year, I expect DC to be ACTIVE in the 2015 free agent period, this team needs more brute weight room strength on their offensive line, that's currently lacking in a big way.

The line is going to take some time to develop as far as run blocking goes.  They're fine in pass protection, better than last year.  They just need to get in synch.  You've got a completely revamped line that hasn't even played together as a unit yet. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Having a QB who is a passing threat will help them gel a little quicker too.

Our OL should be: Salaam-Britton-Brewster-Rackley-Whimper.

That's a top 5 line right there, but our FO inexplicably let them all walk.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:Having a QB who is a passing threat will help them gel a little quicker too.

See FBT's post. He is right about pass blocking. I never thought Chad Henne had to run for his life and throw the ball away.

Quote:Our OL should be: Salaam-Britton-Brewster-Rackley-Whimper.

That's a top 5 line right there, but our FO inexplicably let them all walk.

C'mon, man, you know better than that. We need Tony Boselli and Leon Searcy back.

The day Kalif Barnes got his DUI and said he hated Jacksonville, I noticed our blocking started deteriorating.

Giving Alex Mack a Suite and his family access to one of the pools would have sealed the deal.  Cleveland can't match "pool access."

Quote:The day Kalif Barnes got his DUI and said he hated Jacksonville, I noticed our blocking started deteriorating.
Are they...cursed?!?

[Face_shocked]
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

Quote:C'mon, man, you know better than that. We need Tony Boselli and Leon Searcy back.

Obviously you never watched the tape. A look at the film makes it emphatically clear that Salaam > Boselli, and it is not even close.

Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:The day Kalif Barnes got his DUI and said he hated Jacksonville, I noticed our blocking started deteriorating.

That does not explain how bad Tony Pashos was on the other side.

Quote:Giving Alex Mack a Suite and his family access to one of the pools would have sealed the deal.  Cleveland can't match "pool access."

The only thing we could have offered that the Browns can't match is the NFL's richest contract to make him the highest-paid player, which no team would give a center.