Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why can't we run block anymore?

Zone blocking has been our method for years so that obviously is not the problem. Neither is coaching because we had the same offensive line coach last year. Players? We were very good run blockers for more than a deade with many changes up front. It did not matter who our tackles and guards were. We were always good at blocking for running backs. So what change can explain the sudden inability to block for running backs?

One idea I had that nobody has ever talked about is how many hours George Yarno works. Although we have offensive asistant coaches, only one is an OL coach. What are these offensive asistants doing? Is Yarno working less now while receiving cancer treatments? We have no interim or assistant offensive line coach.

Another crazy thought: We got lucky with a pair of great running backs, who made the linemen look better than they were because of their speed. The ankle injury makes Toby Gerhart run slower than normal and even when healthy, he is not as fast as MJD and Fred Taylor were. Maybe our line simply needs the right running back.

Then there are the Eagles. Perhaps their defensive line made our offensive line look terrible. Remember Philadelphia was a playoff team last season. The Redskins may validate this because they suck. Obviously that can't explain everything, but it must have been a factor Sunday.

What do you think? Am I nuts or could these be legitimate reasons we could not run block at Philadelphia?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think it's the pools.

We don't have Greg Jones.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:We don't have Greg Jones.

So let's draft a fullback or sign one on a prove-it contract. How did the guy whose name I can't pronounce get a job in Jacksonville?

Maybe we need to try walk blocking
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:We don't have Greg Jones.
This

Greg Jones has been gone for a few seasons now so that's not an excuse.  Marcedes hasn't been on the line to help with blocking.  When he is the offense is too one dimensional.  4 of the guys on the line now are new.  Our center sucks.  Beadles is coming off his worst year of his pro career and didn't look much better last weekend.  Paztor has a broken hand and will be out a few more weeks since he had surgery before the season started.  Meester retired (even though he wasn't good the last few years anyway).  There are lots of reasons.  Take your pick.  

Help isn't coming any time soon and signing a different fullback isn't going to help.

Zone blocking works when you have RB's who can cut back and hit a hole with speed or power.  That's what I think they were thinking with Toby being the power guy and Denard being the speed guy.  I still can't figure out why Denard wasn't in the game more though.

Another issue that we've been dealing with for years here is how the defenses have been playing us.  Philly did the same thing last weekend.  Stack the box and make the QB beat you with the passing game.  We don't have a QB who can take that challenge head on on a consistent basis.  Well we do, but you know that conversation.  Teams are going to stack the box until we prove to be a threat in the passing game, and I expect Washington to do the exact same thing this weekend.  I fully expect Orakpo to have a good game against us and more of what happened in the 2nd half in philly to happen again when our defense gets gassed.  I don't want that to happen and I hope I'm proven wrong, but I know what a Chad Henne offense looks like.

Quote: Is Yarno working less now while receiving cancer treatments?

Definitely the cancer.... I think AIDS and Ebola have something to do with it as well.  Also, I think he might be a werewolf, so as long as the game week doesn't involve a full moon, he should be putting in the normal hours.

One of these years.............

Easy answer, we don't have good blockers.

The line has a lot it's minds.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014, 02:48 PM by Chuckd.)

We can't run because we are consistently manhandled by the defensive fronts. It's no mystery. Zone blocking or man, when your dudes are in the backfield, that's about as far as the RB is going. It's not scheme. Mike Shanahan has produced some of the best RBs in the NFL zone blocking. It's having talented lineman, not journeymen, who can not only move the line because of strength but because they refuse to lose mentally.

When we ran all over everyone with Freddy and Drew, sure those guys were talented, but our offensive line road graded people. They were very good. Since then, other than Eugene Monroe, we haven't had an above average lineman.

For some reason, they don't trust Denard on the field.
<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

The day we let Whimper get away, things started going down hill.

Quote:The day we let Whimper get away, things started going down hill.
Gotta feed these beasts the ball or else they start giving up on plays

Quote:The day we let Whimper get away, things started going down hill.

No.  That was the last nail.  Losing Ephraim Salaam and Tony Pashos was the beginning of the end.

One of these years.............

Missing Meester already I see.....

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Because there has been no continuity.

O lines get better as they play together.

They become more cohesive...
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

Because it's their first NFL game together as a group?

We should have offered Alex Mack a contract that couldn't be matched. Or insert a poison pill in the contract like he receives a suite in Everbank field for his family.

Regards.....................the Chiefjag

Quote:We should have offered Alex Mack a contract that couldn't be matched. Or insert a poison pill in the contract like he receives a suite in Everbank field for his family.

Regards.....................the Chiefjag

Can't tell if serious

should have offered a bajillion dollars