Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Don't blame it all on the Henne

Quote:Yes yesterdays loss was extremely frustrating and looked like the same old Jags.  People are looking for someone to blame and of course Chad Henne is the first one on the list.

Yes he deserves some blame for some bad throws and poor decisions but he was hardly the main reason why we lost.  Look at the numbers: 

QBR (90) Yds(266) TD(2) INT(0) Comp(55%)  While not mind blowing numbers they are pretty good.  Infact it wasn't for some of the receivers having butter hands and catching some good balls his numbers would of been even better.

There is plenty of blame to go around

-Oline can't run or pass block - The pass blocking was excellent. 

-Center does not snap the ball forcing us to waste TO's True, but that has nothing to do with how Henne performed. 

-Coaching staff not calling timeout on the 4th and short and allowing the long td run Also nothing to do with how Henne performed. 

-Lee who missed badly on 2 key plays A couple bad plays happen. Henne had like 15 bad plays. 

-Key injuries Offense is pretty healthy. No excuse for Henne to be as bad as he was in the second half. 

-Prosinski for falling for PA and allowing Macklin to walk into the endzone If Henne hadn't sucked the entire half, we would have been up by so much that it wouldn't even have mattered. 

The list goes on and on.  Yes Henne deserves some blame but he played well enough to win. 

He played well enough to win? Laughing Laughing 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:LOL

Who would have guessed we needed a lead bigger than 17 points? For most teams, that is good enough.

Not with a bad running game and Chad Henne

I'm sorry but the team was up 17 nothing at half. The team was up 17-14 going into the 4th quarter. The team wasn't exactly getting manhandled out there.

Now, we can talk about stats when it comes to Henne all we want. Stats are a great tool, but they lack perspective. A prime example is the 4th and 1 attempt. To the statistician, its another incompletion to tally, another piece of the puzzle whose picture is 80-something passer rating--fair enough. However, we know better. We know how important that throw was. We had to have that. And Marcedes was open. It was a simple out, just flip him the ball, my God. But no, Henne thunders it over his head and behind him, making Marcedes try and contort for what should have been a simple thing. Henne doesn't make anything easier. He makes it look harder than it needs to be because he wilts under pressure.

I can stomach Henne again for the Skins and I expect a victory with more of the same from Henne. But come on, enough is enough, it wasn't like Henne was getting slammed out there. Bortles has the 'it' factor that Henne does not. Henne is not clutch. Bortles can be clutch. That's what you need in a quarterback. Worse case is Bortles is a lateral move stats wise as a rookie learning the speed of the game, but at least he has the stones to make that pass.

If Bortles plays that game, we win it. Nothing anyone can say can change my mind of that.

Quote:I realize that Henne has a losing record as a starter for the Jags, but he does have a few wins as starting QB, although I'm too lazy to look up exactly how many.

I know it's not very many though, unfortunately.  

My question is: Does Henne get the credit for any of his wins? Or did the Jags win the games he started in spite of Henne?

Good questions. Henne started all four of our wins last season. Before that, I can't remember who started our two wins.

Nobody gave him credit for a win, but everyone blamed Gabbert for a loss.

lol Henne is horrible, he literally had zero production for half of the game, sure the receivers had a couple of drops, but the majority of those attempts were so-so to begin with.  I don't think I've seen anyone throwing all the blame on him, theres plenty of blame being thrown around on this board, it's like the Gabby apologist all over again.  Oh well, we only have to see that for one more game. 

All his fault? No.

A good deal of blame? Yes.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Pretty sure nobody on here is totally blaming Henne for the loss. The question people are asking is why is he even playing? If you're not gonna win and get mediocre to bad results the rookie should be out there. I would not of cared if he was perfect yesterday. You drafted a qb 3rd overall, play him. If he was a project pick it was stupid to take him that high. Could've gotten an immediate starter at that spot.

Quote:Pretty sure nobody on here is totally blaming Henne for the loss. The question people are asking is why is he even playing? If you're not gonna win and get mediocre to bad results the rookie should be out there. I would not of cared if he was perfect yesterday. You drafted a qb 3rd overall, play him. If he was a project pick it was stupid to take him that high. Could've gotten an immediate starter at that spot.

The Bengals drafted Carson Palmer #1 overall and their fans did not criticize the coach for keeping him on the bench all season. What's your point?

Quote:But then who CAN I blame it all on?

Blame it on the rain

Quote:The Bengals drafted Carson Palmer #1 overall and their fans did not criticize the coach for keeping him on the bench all season. What's your point?
I wouldn't even doubt you were on their message boards around that year they drafted him.

Quote:I don't get this logic.  It's not really his job to lose in the first place.  Nothing he did yesterday suggests that he should stay the starter.  The only reason he's staying the starter is because they don't believe Bortles is ready yet.  As soon as Bortles is ready, they'll name him the starter instead.  I don't believe Henne is capable of putting up a performance good enough to delay the decision to start Bortles at this point.  Once he's ready, he's going to start.  It's just a matter of when he's ready.  I don't think Henne's bad play will accelerate when Bortles comes out either.  He could go 2/19 for -3 yards and 4 interceptions, and I don't think it would make them start Bortles if they think he's not ready.  

I think it's a hard concept to grasp for some.  But you explained it perfectly.  There is no competition here because the organization recognized him as being a franchise caliber QB.  Not starting Bortles now has nothing to do with fear or how well Henne plays.  It's about making sure Bortles is ready.  

Being ready means alot of different things.  It's not just getting his footwork down.  It's not  just getting his technique down.  It's not just knowing the play book.  It's also understanding what it means to be an NFL QB.  How to prepare during the season.  How to study and implement the coaches game plan during the week running up to the game.  Understanding how the offense reacts and adjusts during the regular season.  These are all minutiae  that us regular fans don't grasp, but I believe are integral parts of becoming a rookie QB that is "ready" to get in there.  

Henne's play has no affect on how Bortles is learning and preparing based on all the criteria that coaching staff is looking for.  Henne will always have moments of good plays.  But at the end of the day his ceiling has already been reached.  Bortle's floor may already be at Henne's ceiling.  Once Bortles has everything down in terms of routine, technique, knowledge, and overall professionalism that the coaches are looking for, he's gonna be named the starter. 

I was thinking November during the summer and pre-season.  Mainly because of my concerns about his readiness but also concerns about the O-Line and the WRs.  After seeing the WRs and the pass protection...  I think it's gonna be much sooner than November.

It'll be exciting when it happens.  And it may happen very very soon...  But probably not this week.

Quote:I'm sorry but the team was up 17 nothing at half. The team was up 17-14 going into the 4th quarter. The team wasn't exactly getting manhandled out there.

Now, we can talk about stats when it comes to Henne all we want. Stats are a great tool, but they lack perspective. A prime example is the 4th and 1 attempt. To the statistician, its another incompletion to tally, another piece of the puzzle whose picture is 80-something passer rating--fair enough. However, we know better. We know how important that throw was. We had to have that. And Marcedes was open. It was a simple out, just flip him the ball, my God. But no, Henne thunders it over his head and behind him, making Marcedes try and contort for what should have been a simple thing. Henne doesn't make anything easier. He makes it look harder than it needs to be because he wilts under pressure.

I can stomach Henne again for the Skins and I expect a victory with more of the same from Henne. But come on, enough is enough, it wasn't like Henne was getting slammed out there. Bortles has the 'it' factor that Henne does not. Henne is not clutch. Bortles can be clutch. That's what you need in a quarterback. Worse case is Bortles is a lateral move stats wise as a rookie learning the speed of the game, but at least he has the stones to make that pass.

If Bortles plays that game, we win it. Nothing anyone can say can change my mind of that.

Yeah, we were up 17-14, but the thing is that the momentum had swung.  Henne got tight and the play calling and personnel packages got way too conservative.  Honestly, if you weren't already freaking out about the fact that we letting this game go by the middle of the 3rd Quarter, you weren't paying much attention.

I agree with your 2nd paragraph.  The O-Line, while making some really bad whiffs during pass protection did a pretty OK job in keep Henne clean most of the time.  The O-Line isn't as big a concern as it was for me during pre-season.  Probably 1 more game against Washington, and we'll have a pretty OK group in terms of pass rush...  Run blocking?  Who knows?  But that's a different subject.

As far as Bortles winning that game...  If the play calling remains exactly the same, there would have been several drives that I still could see going 3 and out.  We just go so conservative that it would have been hard of any QB.  With that said, I mentioned yesterday that Henne looked like he got VERY nervous after we took the 17-0lead, and specifically in the 2nd Half.  

By nervous I mean he was playing tight and I wonder if Bortles would get like that...  If Bortles is as loose as he was in the Pre-Season, we may very well have won that game with him in there.  

But, and this is important here... The coaches are still preparing Bortles  He's gonna start soon.  But he's not quite ready yet.  Remember, he's a rookie.   But hey, maybe the'll name Bortles the starter this week.  Any case, He's starting soon enough.  

Quote: 

That's because he was always the biggest reason for the loss.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:Good questions. Henne started all four of our wins last season. Before that, I can't remember who started our two wins.

IIRC, on the 2 wins in the Mularkey season, BG and CH had 1 ea, although it's not worth my time to look it up.

It was a very sad Jags season and I would like to forget it ever happened.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Is there anybody that is literally blaming it all on Henne?

Quote:Is there anybody that is literally blaming it all on Henne?
I found a doo-doo in my pool this morning..................It was Henne's fault. I didn't get that Red Ryder bb gun when I was seven.......It was Henne's fault. The Jags converted 2 of 14 third downs Sunday.......It was Henne's fault. Everything bad that has happened in the last millennium is Henne's fault.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:I found a doo-doo in my pool this morning..................It was Henne's fault. I didn't get that Red Ryder bb gun when I was seven.......It was Henne's fault. The Jags converted 2 of 14 third downs Sunday.......It was Henne's fault. Everything bad that has happened in the last millennium is Henne's fault.
I ordered thin crust from Domino's during the game and they brought me regular.  I'm positive it was the Henne Effect.  It's highly contagious and spreading everywhere.........we gotta stop it now!

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:I ordered thin crust from Domino's during the game and they brought me regular.  I'm positive it was the Henne Effect.  It's highly contagious and spreading everywhere.........we gotta stop it now!
Heenebola?

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

There are very very few Quarterbacks in this league that can play well for an entire game without a run game.

Henne is not one of those quarterbacks, is that his fault? Not really I have no doubt he played to the best of his abilities. Is it frustrating? Massively. Should we make a kneejerk reaction? No

Let's not forget we were playing a team that has been talked about as potential Super Bowl contenders.

We will win next week against the Skins.

End.

Quote:lol Henne is horrible, he literally had zero production for half of the game, sure the receivers had a couple of drops, but the majority of those attempts were so-so to begin with. I don't think I've seen anyone throwing all the blame on him, theres plenty of blame being thrown around on this board, it's like the Gabby apologist all over again. Oh well, we only have to see that for one more game.

Perspective is funny. The 2nd half wasn't what you want to see but if Henne continues playing that "horribly", he'll finish with around 4300 yards and 32 TDs. LOL
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.