Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Grade the Toby Gerhart debut
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

The Toby Gerhart Debut

My grade is C because Toby deserves credit for coming back out later in the quarter after limping to the sideline, but the ankle sprain itself was scary. That play made me wish all jersey tackles that look similar to horsecollars were illegal because by rule, it was not a horsecollar tackle.

With the offensive line being so new and totally different from last year, I can't judge Gerhart's performance at Philadelphia.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He ran hard and he gutted it out despite the injury. He got rolling towards the end. I think they're doing him a disservice by giving him the ball in the shotgun and on zone stretch plays. Let the guy get moving downhill. That's clearly what he's best at.

Toby wanted to be in the game and really had to grind for any yardage he got. I give him a B. There weren't any lanes and never any real push.

No pain, no gain.

Quote:While I agree the line did him no favors (neither did the play calls) he looked slow today. Robinson was the best looking back out there. As of now, Gerhart looks like a short yardage and goal line back while d-rob looks like the home run threat who can get chunks of yardage

Anybody who sprains his ankle will run slower than a healthy player. How did Gerhart before the injury compare to Robinson?

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2014, 01:30 AM by P. Haze.)

Convert him to fullback, cut Todman, put S. Johnson on the gameday roster and let him and Robinson handle the running duties. I gave him a F cause it was pathetic. 2.3 per? Get outta here with that. Wanna make a thread about the o line I'll give them a grade too but in here it was about Gerhart. He sucked.

Let's ignore the fact that the line has been pathetic at blocking for the run the entire preseason. Let's ignore the fact that Gerhart played a good portion of the game on a bad ankle. Let's ignore the fact that Philly was constantly loading up the box to stop the run. It's all on Gerhart.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Haze, you are crazy if you think Gerhart is able to run fast on a sprained ankle behind a bad offensive line when he is being used on the wrong plays. Nothing was really his fault at Philadelphia. He is just trying to do what he can with a bad ankle and nowhere to run.

Quote:Let's ignore the fact that the line has been pathetic at blocking for the run the entire preseason. Let's ignore the fact that Gerhart played a good portion of the game on a bad ankle.

Impossible. Those two things explain Gerhart's low numbers more than his actual running abililty.

Quote:Impossible. Those two things explain Gerhart's low numbers more than his actual running abililty.

Impossible? Are you reading this thread? You have to ignore facts in order to give Gerhart an F grade.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Convert him to fullback, cut Todman, put S. Johnson on the gameday roster and let him and Robinson handle the running duties. I gave him a F cause it was pathetic. 2.3 per? Get outta here with that. Wanna make a thread about the o line I'll give them a grade too but in here it was about Gerhart. He sucked.

Yes, because Robinson's 2.7 per is SO much better.

THE OL stinks. Gerhart got almost all of his yards after initial contact. I gave him a C, but it really should be an "incomplete" because no RB can be graded until the blocking is fixed.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

It would be nice if Fisch wasn't treating Gerhart like Jamaal Charles and running him on stretch plays all game long. I'll give him a C; between the blocking and the outside runs he was forced to run, he stood no chance. 

Quote:It would be nice if Fisch wasn't treating Gerhart like Jamaal Charles and running him on stretch plays all game long. I'll give him a C; between the blocking and the outside runs he was forced to run, he stood no chance.

I don't get the insistence of running the stretch plays either. Run him between the tackles. Commit to it and then pound it.

Quote:Haze, you are crazy if you think Gerhart is able to run fast on a sprained ankle behind a bad offensive line when he is being used on the wrong plays. Nothing was really his fault at Philadelphia. He is just trying to do what he can with a bad ankle and nowhere to run.
If his lil ankle was hurting so bad he should've sat on the sideline. If the coordinator was using him on the wrong plays that's the coaches fault. He's good for goal line plays and straight up the gut. Stretching him out is stupid because he has no speed to do it.

Quote:Yes, because Robinson's 2.7 per is SO much better.

THE OL stinks. Gerhart got almost all of his yards after initial contact. I gave him a C, but it really should be an "incomplete" because no RB can be graded until the blocking is fixed.
If you're comparing Robinson's 3 carries to a Gerhart's 18 then you're spot on with your retort buddy.

Quote:If his lil ankle was hurting so bad he should've sat on the sideline. If the coordinator was using him on the wrong plays that's the coaches fault. He's good for goal line plays and straight up the gut. Stretching him out is stupid because he has no speed to do it.

Even with the ankle he was the best option.

Quote:If you're comparing Robinson's 3 carries to a Gerhart's 18 then you're spot on with your retort buddy.

Gerhart 2.3 y/a. Robinson, 2.7 y/a. Admittedly, 3 carries is not a lot of data, but that's all we have to go on. Anything else is just wishful thinking. Making a proclamation that Robinson is better and Gerhart should be benched (or cut) based on essentially no data is idiotic.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Gerhart 2.3 y/a. Robinson, 2.7 y/a. Admittedly, 3 carries is not a lot of data, but that's all we have to go on. Anything else is just wishful thinking. Making a proclamation that Robinson is better and Gerhart should be benched (or cut) based on essentially no data is idiotic.

How about this: Only compare Robinson's three carries and Gerhart's first three carries.

There was a very noticeable difference in Gerhart before the injury and Gerhart after. Before he got rolled on there was some burst when he got the ball but after the injury it was like he was moving at one speed (a not very quick speed).

Hopefully it's not a problem that lingers and he can return soon. The blocking obviously needs to improve quickly but I'm not so quick to bash on Gerhart like many are. Assuming he gets healthy and the line improves I think he'll be fine.

BTW thanks to Beadles for getting blown up into Gerhart so bad the defender was able to tackle the ball carrier in an awkward way. SMH

"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:If his lil ankle was hurting so bad he should've sat on the sideline. If the coordinator was using him on the wrong plays that's the coaches fault. He's good for goal line plays and straight up the gut. Stretching him out is stupid because he has no speed to do it.
You can run him on stretch plays but even shady McCoy struggles when there is no gap as shown by a number.of plays where he was tackled behind the line

gerhart rumbles along behind the line and cuts up field but he will never just out run everyone to the edge like drob can

So those plays need to be blocked well which they weren't

Added the eagles kept contain very well, Connor barwin was very impressive setting the edge which we couldn't do possibly as we played alot of nickel defenses to keep hold of ertz and celek

you have to look.at this as a Fred Jackson cj spiller type backfield but til drob becomes fully developed in pass pro it can't be an even carry backfield

Running style won't generate as much success on this team, and as a full time back? Get used to hearing abysmal numbers such as 1.9 ypc.

Back to the draft we go for a RB.