Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Grade the Toby Gerhart debut
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

The Toby Gerhart Debut

The numbers do not tell the whole tale.

18 carries for 42yards 2.3 yards per carry

While those numbers are abysmal I don't think any back in the league that could be successful behind this line. All day long I was watching the line miss assignments and letting free defenders hit the backs behind the line of scrimmage. The team couldn't gain a yard on 3rd and short. The coaching staff showed how much confidence they had when they passed the ball on 4th and inches.  The team gave up on the running game in the third quarter but you can't blame them because it was so ineffective.

The bottom line is you could put Barry Sanders behind the line and he would fail.  I did see some good power runs but taken anything into consideration he did nothing great either.  Because of the play of the oline and was impressed by a couple of runs I'm giving him a C.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I give him an F. Too one dimensional. Good goal line guy. Reminds me of Brandon Jacobs.

Hard to evaluate him with such god awful run blocking. He did what he could. C..

While I agree the line did him no favors (neither did the play calls) he looked slow today. Robinson was the best looking back out there. As of now, Gerhart looks like a short yardage and goal line back while d-rob looks like the home run threat who can get chunks of yardage
10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

Denard should of had half those touches, especially after the ankle.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman

Not to mention he was playing on a bum ankle. He said it was pretty sore after the game and those injuries tend to linger.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I voted C, but it wasn't completely his fault. O line had a hard time making lanes. I expected more from him though. I thought it was not in his ability to try and run it outside so much. Anyone else notice this?
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

He should not be running any outside zone. He sucks at it. Not enough acceleration or speed. 

Quote:Hard to evaluate him with such god awful run blocking. He did what he could. C..

pretty much this. 

Once again we have fans that refuse to acknowledge the obvious - the run blocking has been poor for 17 straight games now. 

Biggest problem I think is he's not really a zone blocking back.. In the ZBS you want your back to press the line of scrimmage, find a lane, cut and go. Too many times today I saw Toby get caught from behind before he could make the cut. He was just too slow in getting to the hole.
10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

Quote:I give him an F. Too one dimensional. Good goal line guy. Reminds me of Brandon Jacobs.

My F grade isn't just for today. It is more an overall grade for how I see him as the long term answer at RB for the Jaguars.

C-

Need help from line and QB.

No one is safe.

Quote:Biggest problem I think is he's not really a zone blocking back.. In the ZBS you want your back to press the line of scrimmage, find a lane, cut and go. Too many times today I saw Toby get caught from behind before he could make the cut. He was just too slow in getting to the hole.

If this is true, then thats a GM mistake for not getting the correct piece to properly fit what we need, no? 

Or, is the problem a coaching one, for not being able to alter a system around its current personnel?

Quote:If this is true, then thats a GM mistake for not getting the correct piece to properly fit what we need, no? 

Or, is the problem a coaching one, for not being able to alter a system around its current personnel?

we don't run a zone blocking scheme exclusively.  we do both.

I think it's just a matter of not having players that are good enough.  I do think it's silly to run Toby on the outside though.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

D. The blocking for him was comical, but there is much to be said for taking what the defense gives you. Gerhart looked slow, sluggish and uninspiring, and wasn't even getting what the defense gave him.

As I said in the offseason, Toby is not a premier back, he's just Todman but better in pass pro. Denard should get the bulk of the carries, but he's careless with the ball.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Z

(This post was last modified: 09-07-2014, 11:59 PM by Solid Snake.)

D rob is exactly what you need for this type of o line. Someone fast and who can hit the holes, quickly getting into open space. We didn't need a slow, plodding, runner. 

The sooner this team realizes what Henne and Gerhart the better off it will be.

Henne is a backup.

Gerhart is a 3rd and short......goal line back. 

Neither should be starting. 

This forum needs to stop making excuses for [BLEEP] players.

He needs more blocking, more time, more practice, more sex, he needs to attend church next week, he had the stomach flu, his ankle was sore, blah blah blah. Give me a break. Gerhart looked pretty meh during preseason. Don't see any burst, quickness, or vision. He just runs and hopefully you get 2 to 3 yds. Hopefully....

Quote:D rob is exactly what you need for this type of o line. Someone fast and who can hit the holes, quickly getting into open space. We didn't need a slow, plodding, runner. 

The sooner this team realizes what Henne and Gerhart the better off it will be.

Henne is a backup.

Gerhart is a 3rd and short......goal line back. 

Neither should be starting. 
Give Gerhart a chance.

Henne had his the last 7 years.

No one is safe.

Quote:Give Gerhart a chance.

Henne had his the last 7 years.

I'm not against Gerhart getting touches, I'm just not sure he's suited to be a "bell cow."  Need to mix it up more, more D-Rob, I think more running back by committee with this bunch, wouldn't of even minded seeing Todman get a couple of Gerhart's touches today.

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman