Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Do you think Storm Johnson can win the RB job from Toby Gerhart?

No, Storm will not even be the primary back-up.  He'll either just make the 53 if the Jags decide to keep a 4th tailback, or he'll be on the practice squad.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The RB position is complicated. Drob is pretty much safe, Todman's there, and there's Storm; all behind Gerhart.

I like them all, wouldn't want to see any of them go. But it happens.

So...

Storm = L. McCoy

Lee = M. Harrison

Robinson = R. Wayne

Man, Dave had one hell of a draft.

I don't see anyone overtaking Gerhart this year.  Robinson may serve as a nice change of pace back, but that's it.  Storm's got some potential and I think we got a steal, but there's also a reason he fell that far into the draft too.

Are we really comparing a practice squad guy to the starting back?

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

short answer...No

[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Quote:I think storm Johnson is a lot more like gerhart than McCoy.

If gerhart gets hurt and misses significant time, its possible. I don't see it this season but I think storm is the running back of the future.
-------------------------

Rotoworld

Fisch also mentioned rookie Storm Johnson but seemed to classify him as a backup to Gerhart.

"Storm is going to run at the same speed as Toby and maybe a hair faster, but he's strong and really compact," Fisch said. "He has incredible vision and lower body strength

---------------------------

I dont think anyone really sees Toddman as a threat to Toby & might not even be one to Storm Johnson if you read the above.  DR is listed as WR, but who knows whats going on with shoelace again this year if anything.

Last season in 14 games Toby only had 36 carries for 283 yards and 2 touchdowns and caught 13 passes for 88 yards.

while Toddman in 16 games had 76 carries for 256 yards and 2 touchdowns and caught 14 passes for 116 yards and 1 touchdown.

I mean anything is possible, people get injured, some get that spark under them. Who knows Shoelace could even out win all of them but the consensus is Toby will play like Mojo ; running, blocking & catching all the time with Storm possibly being the main guy that comes in when he's tired.

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014, 08:50 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote: 

Remember when Fred Taylor got hurt then Greg Jones got hurt, MJD stepped up and stole the show.

What !!   MJD was drafted in Round 2 as the future successor to Fred Taylor who already had a ton of carries when MJD came in.   Storm can possibly share the load but the team is committed to Gerhart as he was one of their primary free agent aquisitions.

Storm reminds me of a smaller GaTech RB Jonathon Dwyer --- kind of a downhill type runner.    Shady McCoy (from the great UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH) is more shifty.

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2014, 08:51 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:So...

Storm = L. McCoy

Lee = M. Harrison

Robinson = R. Wayne

Man, Dave had one hell of a draft.

I LOVE THE OFFSEASON !!!!    I don't want September to come.  I hate reality !!

Don't forget  ....  Bortles = Big Ben

Quote:Gerhart is a straight line runner, and he runs upright much like Tony George.  Johnson has some wiggle and can crease a defense much like Shady McCoy up in Philly.

So what do you guys think?  I understand contractually that Gerhart owns the RB job as of now, but do you think if Storm Johnson tears it up in the preseason that he could be the feature back by mid season.

Remember when Fred Taylor got hurt then Greg Jones got hurt, MJD stepped up and stole the show.

Do I think Storm Johnson can win the running back job from Toby Gerhart?  

No. 

Quote:Are we really comparing a practice squad guy to the starting back?

You think Storm will only be a practice squader? Not me. I think ala Rashad jennings, he will make the team as a 7th rounder. 

No...
[url=http://home.comcast.net/~midimusic2006/mp3/sec/Tennessee__Rocky_Top.mp3][/url]</P><P>
;
 </P> <DIV class=b2></DIV>
;

Quote:You think Storm will only be a practice squader? Not me. I think ala Rashad jennings, he will make the team as a 7th rounder.

If he can contribute on special teams effectively. I'd be surprised to see him on the field much with the offense come regular season though.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I could see Storm as the #2 back. His running style and body type remind me of Clinton Portis. Zac Stacy and Andre Ellington were a 5th and 6th round pick in a much weaker draft and both had an impact as rookies and will likely be featured backs this year, so I don't think being a 7th rounder means that Storm won't be big part of the teams plans going forward. Teams just don't typically use high picks on RBs anymore.

Seeing that tweet with Gerhart probably not getting 20 carries a game I don't think we'll have to figure it out.  He'll prob get 15ish and the rest will be D-Rob and Todman or strom whoever they think has the higher upside at the end of training camp. 

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Storm dropped in the draft due to ball security issues (always carrying the ball in his right hand and not always tucked), pass protection issues, and lack of a top gear.  He's a local product that local people like to get excited about, but he'll need time to develop to the pro game before he can be relied upon as a starter. 

Quote:Last season in 14 games Toby only had 36 carries for 283 yards and 2 touchdowns and caught 13 passes for 88 yards..

Yes, but there was a very good reason for his lack of opportunity !

I'd love Storm Johnson to be a superstar, but I think you have accept it would be a surprise if someone selected that late in the draft snatched the starting RB job. Which round was Gerhart picked in ?

If Storm ends the season as second choice then I think that will be a major achievement for him, despite the coach's kind words.

I'm a big UCF fan and I watched a lot of Storm Johnson.  I thought when we didnt take him in the 3rd/4th there was no hope of getting him.  I think his fumbling issues (8 fumbles in 2013) made him drop, and I listened to the segment of Gus mic'd up and he was really pushing that on him when he ran the ball to hold it high and tight.

If he can fix those problems, the future is bright for him.  He was taken out of a few games and missed a lot of time because of those issues.  He almost single handedly gave away the USF game with his fumbles....I almost lost my mind.

I actually just found this by googling.  Interesting read put together by what looks like a fan.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/0...fl_27.html

I hope Storm ends up being a good player, but he was a 7th rounder.  17 other RBs were picked before him, and though that doesn't mean he can't succeed, I tend to think that he needs enough work that supplanting Gerhart this year will be a long shot.  

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Storm will have to demonstrate effective pass blocking before he passes Todman or Gerhart.   The difference in value fans place on pass protection compared to how NFL people value it is staggering.    There are few RBs with enough talent in running to overcome liability pass blocking, and Storm definitely is not one of them.