Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Did I miss something?

If everyone stays healthy, I do not expect Alualu to be on the 53 man roster.  It has nothing to do with this article but it's just his level of play.  Just "holding the point" isn't good enough. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-15-2014, 09:26 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:That may well have been the depth chart a few eeks ago, and it may have changed since then.

I don't know, but if it has and Alualu is now back to DT-a position where he often seemed overmatched, it doesn't seem to bode well for him.
I still don't know what to believe of O'halloran's take.

These quotes were pulled from a story from John Oesher a few hours ago:

Quote:....Because Red Bryant is expected to start over Tyson Alualu at one defensive end....

He's expected to back up Red Bryant at the five-technique defensive end position.

Alualu is a solid fit for the run-defense oriented five-technique, and he has yet to miss a game in four NFL seasons.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Road-to-2014-Training-Camp-Five-mainstays/5bae0c20-e3d3-48de-95b3-dec30be6a2a6'>http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Road-to-2014-Training-Camp-Five-mainstays/5bae0c20-e3d3-48de-95b3-dec30be6a2a6</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Situational LEO. (As in - when they a use a scheme that has more than one LEO on the field.)

Yeah, but if Chris Clemons is the starting LEO then Andre Branch is the 2nd LEO, meaning he probably rushes from the left side when there are 2 LEOs. Also Ryan Davis is a reserve LEO and they have talked about his ability to rush from the inside in the dime 3 LEO set.

Quote:That's the beauty about being a mid round pick.

No rush.

This is what I was thinking. He probably won't be active very often this year unless he beats Davis out for the 3rd LEO spot which I don't see happening or he is a great special teams guy.

Quote:I think hes gone after this year either way, but AluAlu was used in both spots last year depending on the situation. It will prob be the same this year.

Agree.  His versatility (ability to play both) may actually be what saves his roster spot.  Right now, it's his best attribute, and could be what helps him hold on another year.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:This is what I was thinking. He probably won't be active very often this year unless he beats Davis out for the 3rd LEO spot which I don't see happening or he is a great special teams guy.

If you listen to what the Florida T-U and rotoworld has to say here's their take:

Quote:Jaguars rookie DE Smith to make year-1 impact

Chris Smith | JAC

(July 15, 2014 3:56 PM EDT)

The Florida Times Union expects fifth-round DE Chris Smith to make a year-one impact on defense.

Smith will likely only be on the field in surefire passing situations, as he struggled against the run in college. But he has ideal length (34 1/8-inch arms) and athleticism (37-inch vertical) to contribute immediately as a sub-package pass rusher. With Jason Babin released earlier in the offseason, Smith will see action behind pass rushers Andre Branch and Chris Clemons at the LEO spot.

SOURCE: 

FLORIDA TIMES UNION

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:If you listen to what the Florida T-U and rotoworld has to say here's their take:

I guess according to them, he is already ahead of Ryan Davis. We'll find out over the next month or so.

Quote:Agree.  His versatility (ability to play both) may actually be what saves his roster spot.  Right now, it's his best attribute, and could be what helps him hold on another year.

If the article had not indicated Abry Jones would be the swing guy (implying his versatility and ability to switch from LDE to DT), I might be more inclined to agree.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

AlooAloo reminds me of fruit loops. Suck.

Quote:AlooAloo reminds me of fruit loops. Suck.

LOL good one.

Quote:I guess according to them, he is already ahead of Ryan Davis. We'll find out over the next month or so.
I had a hunch the moment Smith was drafted that Ryan Davis' time as a Jaguar was over. On a 4-12 team, almost all the reserves (and several starters) are replaceable.

Quote:If the article had not indicated Abry Jones would be the swing guy (implying his versatility and ability to switch from LDE to DT), I might be more inclined to agree.
The article was, like all articles this time of year do, throwing poo at a wall to see if it sticks. If it does and Alualu is cut, the TU gets to wear a feather in their cap. If not, hey, it was in the unclear dead zone period, and the story didn't pan out. TBQH, aside from Vito, the TU has never been a reliable source of Jaguars news. One Vic was worth ten O'Hallorans, Gangulis, Carlyons, etc.

The Jaguars make subtle moves with Alualu just to send subliminal messages to trunt and Joe.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]