Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Did I miss something?

Saw this blurb in today's T-U in a story about SenDerrick Marks getting fewer  snaps this year.

Quote: 

Another thing that will lessen Marks’ load: The addition of Red Bryant, who can slide inside on third down, the development of second-year player Abry Jones, the decision to move Alualu from the “big” end spot to reserve tackle.

http://members.jacksonville.com/opinion/...-realistic

When did this happen?

Part of whatever contrived talk there was last year and earlier this offseason about so called improvement from Alualu was his move to the "big end" spot.

Now if the above is true, he's now back at DT?!?

I am less convinced than ever that Alualu makes this team.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If that's accurate, he's pretty much done in Jacksonville. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I think hes gone after this year either way, but AluAlu was used in both spots last year depending on the situation. It will prob be the same this year.

Seems to be all on the development of Abry Jones, it's doubtful he and Alualu both make it on the roster, barring injury.

Marks had too many reps last season due to a lack of depth on the D line. That is no longer an issue with Red Bryant and Ziggy Hood now being on the roster. That means less reps(a good thing) for Marks and Alualu will backup Bryant on the LDE

Quote:Marks had too many reps last season due to a lack of depth on the D line. That is no longer an issue with Red Bryant and Ziggy Hood now being on the roster. That means less reps(a good thing) for Marks and Alualu will backup Bryant on the LDE

Not according to the article I just posted.

This is specifically what it stated.

Quote: 

Another thing that will lessen Marks’ load: The addition of Red Bryant, who can slide inside on third down, the development of second-year player Abry Jones, the decision to move Alualu from the “big” end spot to reserve tackle.

That gives the Jaguars a first tackle unit of Marks-Miller, a second unit of Hood-Alualu and a Jones as a swing guy.

According to this, Jones is the guy who may switch between the big end position and DT, not Alualu.

First time I have heard that mentioned. Not a bad thing though.

(This post was last modified: 07-15-2014, 11:37 AM by The Mad Dog.)

I'd be hesitant to believe everything the T-U is giving us regarding potential depth chart issues at this point, after that story (non story) a few months ago abotu Ace Sanders being on the bubble. That same writer came back 2 or 3 days later and retracted his statements. 

Quote:I'd be hesitant to believe everything the T-U is giving us regarding potential depth chart issues at this point, after that story (non story) a few months ago abotu Ace Sanders being on the bubble. That same writer came back 2 or 3 days later and retracted his statements. 
True, but it Abry Jones has improved, it makes sense.

Based upon Bryant's size, it would seem this defense calls for a bigger, stronger presence at LDE.

Abry Jones-listed at 314 according to the team roster- is nearly 20 lbs heavier than the 295 they have Alualu listed at.  Jones is closer in size to Bryant than Alualu.

But even if the story has no credibility at all, Alualu's spot on the team is anything but secure.

What we need to address is who would be overall more effective: A tired, overused Marks or a fresher alternative?

DUUUUVVVVAAAAALLLLLL!

Quote:I'd be hesitant to believe everything the T-U is giving us regarding potential depth chart issues at this point, after that story (non story) a few months ago abotu Ace Sanders being on the bubble. That same writer came back 2 or 3 days later and retracted his statements. 

That wasn't a "story" in the Times-Union about Sanders being on the bubble. That was O'Hallaran giving his opinion of possible roster casualties. O'Hallaran has not "retracted" is statements; he's said that with recent developments he thinks Sanders will probably make the team.

There is a difference in reporting and offering opinion.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Poor AloooAlooo.

I've always thought that Jones fit their description for the Strong Side DE a bit better than Alualu. It seems that the team really likes what he brings to the game, but they felt like he needed time to develop. With Hood now on the roster, I echo Bullseye's assertion that Alualu might want to start researching moving companies.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 07-15-2014, 03:04 PM by knarnn.)

Speaking of, here was Ohalloran's "unofficial depth chart" a few weeks ago.

Quote:Defensive line: First unit — ends Andre Branch/Jason Babin and Red Bryant and tackles Sen’Derrick Marks and Abry Jones (for the limited Roy Miller). Second unit — ends Alualu and Chris Clemons and tackles Ziggy Hood and Jordan Miller.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2014-06-17/story/jaguars-3-out'>http://m.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2014-06-17/story/jaguars-3-out</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Speaking of, here was Ohalloran's "unofficial depth chart" a few weeks ago.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2014-06-17/story/jaguars-3-out'>http://m.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2014-06-17/story/jaguars-3-out</a>

That may well have been the depth chart a few eeks ago, and it may have changed since then.

I don't know, but if it has and Alualu is now back to DT-a position where he often seemed overmatched, it doesn't seem to bode well for him.

Ah, the dead zone. Where controversies about a guy's position dominate the day. Let's wait for training camp before cutting a guy, shall we? I think Alualu makes this team as a swing end/tackle guy, then is allowed to go off and become someone's backup under tackle after the season ends. Is he a sure thing? No way, but few are. When the dust settles, I think his versatility gets him a spot unless Abry Jones (and how sad is it that his stiffest competition is a second-year UDFA?) just flat outperforms him at tackle and end.

I also don't really see where Chris Smith plays.

Quote:I also don't really see where Chris Smith plays.

That's the beauty about being a mid round pick.

No rush.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I doubt that the Alualu to reserve DT move is as set in stone as the T-U article makes it seem  --  but if it's true, his job security has taken a big hit.

I'm really excited about the probable rotation at multiple spots on the D-line we should see this year.  Whether Alualu is part of it or not. I think this team will finally climb out of the cellar in sack stats as well as cut back on YPC allowed.  Mid tier numbers in these two categories would be major improvements. 

I'm feel pretty confident Babich/Bradley will figure out the best way to use Alualu and whether he deserves the roster spot.

Quote:I also don't really see where Chris Smith plays.
Situational LEO.  (As in - when they a use a scheme that has more than one LEO on the field.)