Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What is progress ?

Quote:I'll stick with what I've been saying all along. 

6 or 7 wins and no big blowouts.

Anything better than that is icing and would speak very well for Caldwell/Bradley. IMO. 

BIngo.

No blowouts and just be fun to watch again. I've grown weary of these squads that look like they're stuck in the 80's.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I would consider 'progress' to be measurable by the following criteria:

1. more wins than last season. I will qualify this criteria also by saying;

a. more wins against quality opponents and not just against teams with losing records who've already been eliminated from play-off contention by mid season.

b. more wins means at least going 5-11, hopefully 7-9.... or better.

2. more competitive play even in our losses. I'll break this down;

a. no more being blown out and the game essentially over by half-time.

b. no more running highly predictable plays into the teeth of the opponents strength. Albeit, this may well have been predicated in the past due to our talent short-comings.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Progress:

Leaving games heartbroken that we barely lost.  Being able to point to one or two moments/mistakes in the game that led to the loss.

I do not want to walk out of the bank with a stream of numb fans or watch the team lose the battle on nearly every snap.

Of course winning would be great too.

Quote:Progress:

Leaving games heartbroken that we barely lost.  Being able to point to one or two moments/mistakes in the game that led to the loss.

I do not want to walk out of the bank with a stream of numb fans or watch the team lose the battle on nearly every snap.

Of course winning would be great too.
It is really sad when this is a reasonable measure of Jaguars progress.

I can remember when we first got the team.

I think we all knew we'd have losing seasons and down times, but jeez.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I want to see the units improve. Wins and losses can be fickle.

Last year we were 31st in overall offense; 22nd in passing and 31st in rushing. Improvement would be staying out of the bottom third in all three offensive areas.

For overall defense we were tied for 27th; 25th in pass defense and 30th in rush defense. With all the money spent on this side of the ball I think we should see at least one of those in the top half of the league and the other two outside the bottom third.

What is progress?

The opposite of Congress.

:thumbsup:

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Double the wins this year to 8.

Double the wins in 2015 to 16.

Double the wins in 2016 to 32.

That's progress!

Seriously, right now I measure progress by getting closer to the time I can actually watch a game.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Progress is not always defined by the final record, but if the team doesn't exceed last year's total by at least a game or two, I will be a little disappointed. With that said, if they go 4-11 again, I might be ok with it as long as they are playing competitively and showing progress to the eye. I'd rather see them double last year's win total though. ;-)
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:It is really sad when this is a reasonable measure of Jaguars progress.

I can remember when we first got the team.

I think we all knew we'd have losing seasons and down times, but jeez.
The first half of the 2013 may have been the worse football in nfl history.  We were getting blown out by double digits every week.  The good sign is this team showed improvement and growth in the second half of the season.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Progress is not defined by record. Its by young players visibly improving. Thats all that matters this year. 

Quote:Progress is not defined by record. Its by young players visibly improving. Thats all that matters this year. 

I'm not expecting much more than 5 or maybe 6 wins this season, but I think progress is defined by "both" the above. 

Quote:Sweep the Texans, Titans, and split with the Colts. Even 5-11 would be good if we did that.

That would mean losing to all of the following teams:

Colts 1x

Eagles

Redskins

Cowboys

Giants

Steelers

Ravens

Bengals

Browns

Raiders

Bills

Success would be walking up to The Bank and feeling the same electricity in the air as say, 1996 or 1999. Walking down the ramps after a win listening to the fans chanting "Go Jags". Seeing smiles on faces of fans instead of stares. Sad looks on the faces of opposing fans instead of mockery and laughter. Fewer 3rd and 16 conversions to 1st and 10 by opponents. More by the Jags. Less 3 and outs. More "attitude" , especially by the defense. Third and short instead of 3rd and long.

I could go on, but all of these would represent improvements.

No draft threads until January
A good loser is a good loser

I would be happy to see us stay in the game, I dont want all the blow outs we have had as of late.

To paraphrase Justice Potter Stewart, I'll know progress when I see it.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Progress would be if we had the privilege of saying "if only," after the season ends.

Progress is going home being pissed at the officials.

Progress is coming to this board in October and talking about our gameplan against the next opponent.

Progress is talking about the few draft picks that didn't pan out rather then talking about the few drafted players that did.

Quote:No draft threads until January

This one I like.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

More 3 and outs on defense. Less 3 and outs on offense.

Better 3rd down conversion % on offense, limit opposition 3rd down conversion on defense.

Not worried about record if we can be average or above in these categories.