Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Henne vs McCown

Quote:I'm confident Glennon will challenge him

Lovie Smith doesn't sound to happy with a Glennon lead team. He's been lukewarm to make any commitments to him in all his interviews since being hired and then today came out and said McCown is the starter!
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

McCown. I personally do not like Henne, no offense intended.

At this point in his career Henne is leaps and bounds better than McCown was. McCown may be playing slightly better right now but he also has six more years of working on his craft.

Also, when we need to walk away from Henne, he could still have trade value. A 35+ year old McCown wouldn't.

You have to think big picture. Henne is much more valuable to us.

Henne has consistently performed as a starters at the level we saw last season, ie mid 70s QB rating, both here and in Miami.

Whereas McCown has never really had a long stretch as a starter. He got 13 and 9 starts for the Cardinals in 2004 and 2005 respectively, and managed a 74 rating. But outside of that, he always tended to be a career backup, and has only had on really good year and that was last season.

So if I had to pick, I'd probably go Henne since he's familiar with our scheme. Plus, in an ideal world we draft a rookie, hopefully one of Bortles, Bridgewater and Manziel, and the rookie wins the job so Henne backs him up. Or at worst, Henne starts a season while the rookie slowly gets blooded in like Rodgers did in Green Bay.

I guess McCown could have done the same. But I'm not convinced he will perform at the same, or near to the same level again. Personally he will likely drop to a mid to late 70s type rating and performance.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2014, 06:27 AM by pirkster.)

Quote:Lovie Smith doesn't sound to happy with a Glennon lead team. He's been lukewarm to make any commitments to him in all his interviews since being hired and then today came out and said McCown is the starter!

But who's the backup?  Freeman's long gone.

McCown is only there because he knows the system.   He's the safety net if Glennon doesn't catch on fast, and give him incentive to do so.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:McCown. I personally do not like Henne, no offense intended.

To be fair I don't think Henne's offense was intended.

We already know that Henne is hopeless garbage. I don't know McCown well enough to know that he couldn't be decent. He certainly played better this season than Henne has ever played over an extended stretch in his career. He had a passer rating over 100 in 5 out of 8 games this season and over 90 in 7 out of 8.

Henne has never even sniffed a performance like that.

Still, If I were Caldwell I'd be on the phone with the Bucs seeing if I could pick up Glennon for that 6th we got from the 49ers. Glennon is better than Henne, too.

Quote:We already know that Henne is hopeless garbage. I don't know McCown well enough to know that he couldn't be decent. He certainly played better this season than Henne has ever played over an extended stretch in his career. He had a passer rating over 100 in 5 out of 8 games this season and over 90 in 7 out of 8.

Henne has never even sniffed a performance like that.

Still, If I were Caldwell I'd be on the phone with the Bucs seeing if I could pick up Glennon for that 6th we got from the 49ers. Glennon is better than Henne, too.

Isn't is funny how a dude from the internet can call an NFL player "hopeless garbage?"
Shock the world

Why would we want McCown?

Because he shined in limited reps throwing it up to Marshall and Jeffrey?

Henne knows his role. Back up, or start a few until Teddy is ready.

If Teddy isn't ready you play Henne until he is. If Teddy is ready day 1, Henne is a solid and familiar choice as our back up guy in case something were to happen.

People on here just love to hiss and whine over nothings. Neither McCown nor Henne are the future of this franchise, and neither would put us "over the top" so the argument is moot at best.

Why'd Lovie go after McCown? Because of familiarity. Tampa will look to draft the future this season or next, McCown is just their stop gap or bridge.

I don't understand the arguing over why we should have signed backup b over backup a. They are all back ups just waiting to be supplanted by draft choice a or draft choice b.

Quote:Isn't is funny how a dude from the internet can call an NFL player "hopeless garbage?"

Within the scope of a football message board's discussion he is.

It's funny how you immediately jumped to personally attacking me for my opinion. You must not have a very good argument about the topic at hand.

Quote:Within the scope of a football message board's discussion he is.

It's funny how you immediately jumped to personally attacking me for my opinion. You must not have a very good argument about the topic at hand.

Nah I just don't care about the topic. They both are average QBs and not "the guy" for our team. End thread.
Shock the world

Quote:Nah I just don't care about the topic. They both are average QBs and not "the guy" for our team. End thread.

Well thanks for letting us all know that we can finally stop discussing this.

I'd still be calling up TB about Glennon if I were Caldwell.

Quote:Isn't is funny how a dude from the internet can call an NFL player "hopeless garbage?"

Garbage in, garbage out I suppose.

Quote:Why would we want McCown?

The rest of your post was excellent, but it really ends here.

There's no reason.

I have stated my opinion on Henne in numerous threads. Don't like his ability to play the position at a consistent high level and did not want him re-signed.

That being said, threads like this are just another way to diss Henne, really has nothing to do with McCown.. Henne most likely will start this season and I sincerely hope that he excels and makes my opinion seem foolish.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:I have stated my opinion on Henne in numerous threads. Don't like his ability to play the position at a consistent high level and did not want him re-signed.

That being said, threads like this are just another way to diss Henne, really has nothing to do with McCown.. Henne most likely will start this season and I sincerely hope that he excels and makes my opinion seem foolish.

Pretty much.  Didn't hear a peep about going after him until he signed with TB, where his job isn't guaranteed.