Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Bortles better than Manziel?

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014, 07:19 PM by Vino.)

Also UCF is not a bad team. They're probably better than TAMU overall.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Does it take into account tipped passes that are the fault of the receiver? I've seen that quite a bit with Johnny.

You're talking about accomplishments not actual QB attributes. Bortles over and under throws guys, throws a lot of passes that don't make sense when he's pressured (not the same as wilting, just bad decision making) and sometimes when he's not pressured, stares down his first read too much, and doesn't fool safeties with his eyes, and his ball placement is nothing special. He has a nice body but a long way to go, more so than Johnny who just has a couple mechanic nitpicks leftover that I think he will mostly address in the next few months.

Manziel makes horrible decisions...he scrambles around and then chucks the ball in the air sometimes. Bortles is pretty good under pressure.

I think Bortles accuracy can be helped with some improvement in his mechanics too. I just don't think it's as big of a fix as you do.

I will admit he is not as advanced as Teddy in manipulating defenders with his eyes but he has improved. I don't think Manziel is any better than Bortles in that regard tho.

Manziel isn't near as good a thrower Wilson was coming out, so those comparisons need to stop. His mechanics are awful and misses reads a lot. His athleticism bails him out at the college level but won't in the NFL. Not to mention the durability concerns. 

Like some people mentioned Bortles has a higher floor but a lower ceiling. I just think Manziel won't ever reach his ceiling because you're asking him to change his game wayyy more than you would for bottles. 

Other than the size/durability issues, there is one massive, critically important NFL trait that Bortles has in spades and Manziel has in 2-7...and that is eye level. Bortles gets most of his love with the Luck/Big Ben comparisons, and those comparisons of course derive from pocket manipulation/eye level.

Johnny sees the rush and drops his eyes way too quickly and far too often, even when he is in a perfect pocket. You can get away with it better in college (Tebow was the king of dropping eye level too), but you just can't drop your eyes until you get to relative safety before looking upfield again in the much faster and more disciplined NFL.

Quote:I will admit he is not as advanced as Teddy in manipulating defenders with his eyes but he has improved. I don't think Manziel is any better than Bortles in that regard tho.
Bortles doesn't manipulate defenders yet, but he manipulates the pocket very well. 

Quote:Bortles doesn't manipulate defenders yet, but he manipulates the pocket very well.

He's done it a couple times but not often at all.

Quote:Also UCF is not a bad team. They're probably better than TAMU overall.

I disagree wth that. How many first rounders does UCF have? TAMU has a few.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014, 08:01 PM by MoJo44.)

Quote:I disagree wth that. How many first rounders does UCF have? TAMU has a few.
TAMU will have two. UCF wilL have one.

Not a huge discrepancy there.

EDIT: forgot about Matthews. So yeah...three.

Von Miller also came from A&M.
No commercial messages in sigs

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014, 08:07 PM by KYjaggy.)

Quote:TAMU will have two. UCF wilL have one.

There's a good chance A&M will have 3 top 10 picks this year and another top 10 pick next year too in Ogbuehi. They will have the best LT in the entire league for the third straight year.

Bortles has some pretty decent weapons but let's not pretend that Johnny's surrounding talent wasn't massively better.

Bortles is what you want in an NFL quarterback. Manziel looks like a guy who could bust out of league, great in college but it wont translate.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Manziel isn't near as good a thrower Wilson was coming out, so those comparisons need to stop. His mechanics are awful and misses reads a lot. His athleticism bails him out at the college level but won't in the NFL. Not to mention the durability concerns. 

Like some people mentioned Bortles has a higher floor but a lower ceiling. I just think Manziel won't ever reach his ceiling because you're asking him to change his game wayyy more than you would for bottles. 
exactly

Quote:Manziel makes horrible decisions...he scrambles around and then chucks the ball in the air sometimes. Bortles is pretty good under pressure.

I think Bortles accuracy can be helped with some improvement in his mechanics too. I just don't think it's as big of a fix as you do.

I will admit he is not as advanced as Teddy in manipulating defenders with his eyes but he has improved. I don't think Manziel is any better than Bortles in that regard tho.
Manziel is far better at that.

And I really don't understand where people are getting the idea Manziel just chucks the ball in the air. I've never seen him just throw a hail marry, especially not this year. He always has his eyes down the field looking for an open man and when he sees one he throws it and places it where his guy can get it. And scrambling and extending plays is not a bad thing whatsoever, don't understand how that gets a bad rap either. I feel like people just think about Tebow from recent memory now and automatically associate that with scrambling.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:Manziel is far better at that.

And I really don't understand where people are getting the idea Manziel just chucks the ball in the air. I've never seen him just throw a hail marry, especially not this year. He always has his eyes down the field looking for an open man and when he sees one he throws it and places it where his guy can get it. And scrambling and extending plays is not a bad thing whatsoever, don't understand how that gets a bad rap either. I feel like people just think about Tebow from recent memory now and automatically associate that with scrambling.
Well this only took me about 2 seconds to find...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_5mD8zJ_9M

Quote:Well this only took me about 2 seconds to find...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_5mD8zJ_9M

This was the play i laughed the hardest at all last year. I just knew the media would blow it up like he just did something great. 

Quote:Manziel makes horrible decisions...he scrambles around and then chucks the ball in the air sometimes.

Geno Smith did/does the same, but is much, much worse about it.  So, why is that such a big deal now?

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Bortles is what you want in an NFL quarterback. Manziel looks like a guy who could bust out of league, great in college but it wont translate.

You could say the same about all three of the top QBs in this draft.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014, 10:05 PM by Jinjo.)

His best tape on draftbreakdown imo. Anyone questioning his intermediate velocity look at 5:40. Guy in his face so he has to throw flat footed, darts it 20+ yards downfield. Athleticism was on full display too. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCmqzmi9XNU#t=362

Quote:TAMU will have two. UCF wilL have one.

I know this is shocking to many but I am predicting Evans falls to the 2nd round.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014, 11:42 PM by KYjaggy.)

Here are two NFL caliber plays in a row that Bortles makes against PSU that Johnny can only dream of in his current technically unsound state. 

Play one: designed rollout against his body throw Bortles drops a dime 30 yards downfield.  

Play two: Blake senses the immediate pressure and calmly steps up in the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield, and drops another dime 30 yards downfield to the same spot. On this play Johnny would try a pirouette and scramble back another 10 yards with another piroutte or two mixed in...all before trying to get to a sideline before looking up to see if he has an open wide receiver or get some positive yards running and finally chucking it up a prayer in the vicinity of Mike Evans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...M9E8E#t=58