Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Josh Evans and Jonathan Cyprien graded out at safety 78th and 84th respectively out of a possible 86 total per PFF

Quote:Joeckel struggled because he was out of position at RT, IMO. Per all reports in practices, and the limited game action, Joeckel looked back to his normal high-caliber player self when installed back at OLT. 

Fact is, he played a quarter at LT.  You praising him is literally LOL funny. 

And since when do you put stock in practice reports?  Cyprien also looked amazing in practice, as did numerous other players.  Sundays is where it counts.

You "praising" Luke while criticizing Cyprien is all people need to know about who you are and how you operate.  You're more concerned about being "right" than anything else... even if everything indicates you are flat out wrong. 

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: 

As for questioning the "ridiculous" website's ranking....just as long as same website is considered "ridiculous" in the future should any Jaguars player be ranked high by them. I don't want to see any citing of them as reference, then. 

I've never used that website in my life to rank any player.

Some people do, and that's fine.  IIRC they had Derek Cox ranked as one of the best CBs in the league.  They also have MJD ranked as our best offensive player.  I've watched football long enough to know who is good and who is average.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014, 12:37 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Fact is, he played a quarter at LT.  You praising him is literally LOL funny. 

And since when do you put stock in practice reports?  Cyprien also looked amazing in practice, as did numerous other players.  Sundays is where it counts.

You "praising" Luke while criticizing Cyprien is all people need to know about who you are and how you operate.  You're more concerned about being "right" than anything else... even if everything indicates you are flat out wrong. 

The difference is - what was said in the practice reports for Joeckel jived with how he looked in the game (albeit very limited). So, the practice report can be taken/ used as consistency. When the practice reports say Cyprien is looking great in practice and then he goes out and plays at a level that contradicts with the practice reports, well then, yeah, I tend to put less stock in those reports. 

Bottom line is Cyprien had a pedestrian rookie season, at best, and really needs to ramp up the improvement for next year or else the pick is going to look bad, given it was such a high selection (33). 

I am not judging Cyp harshly because of any personal vendetta or solely because I want to be right. I don't know him. But you should know by now that I judge/ grade higher draft picks very harshly because I expect more than just an average Joe from picks in the first and 2nd rounds. You gotta knock those selections out of the park and get PB-level players there, as well as overachieve on at least half of the rest of the picks after that to start seeing a good roster start to accumulate. 

Quote:Yeah, I guess some don't. Some seem to think its a position where you can have a lack of big plays from and everything's fine & dandy. Are you suggesting Cyp didn't have breakdowns in coverage, either? Or missed tackles/ bad angles taken allowing more yardage than could have on plays? Because he did. The way you talk, you'd think we had a PB'er back there. Even if you don't get the INT's from the spot, you need more in the other 2 categories of FF & QB sack than Cyp gave....and those low numbers were despite facing some really mediocre opponents/ bad QB play from weeks 9-15. The jury is still out on him. 

Cyprien is far from "very good" yet. Could he get there? Sure. Far from there at current.
i agree with you

cyp was poor at the start of the season in all the ways you describe

he was beat regularly in coverage and struggled to get up to speed which is partially hindered by not having an offseason due to injury. Even in the preseason he looked lost but he improved every game and got better throughout the year.

He was always going to get lathered on his overall year ranking as at the start he was very poor and he deserved to grade out negatively.

In addition I agree we need more big plays however  we are not putting qbs under enough pressure and we are playing alot of zones to prevent huge plays off rookie mistakes and blown coverages

Phillip rivers and ryan fitzpatrick picking us apart on third down particularly sticks in my memory because it wasn't blown coverages it was simply experienced guys find the gaps in the zone coverage and picking it apart.

That i can agree with you is a coaching point that has to change however i think with a year under there belts the rookies will be more prepared for man coverage especially now cyp is starting to diagnose plays and use his speed to get over their and we can start playing the physical type of defense bradley want's.

I am quite happy to wait for another season and hope the improvement keeps on coming.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014, 12:44 PM by SuperJville.)

Quote:The difference is - what was said in the practice reports for Joeckel jived with how he looked in the game (albeit very limited).

Joeckel looked pretty bad at RT, and played like 1 quarter at LT.  You can't say "it jived with how he looked in the game" after only 1 quarter or play. 

But you should know by now that I judge/ grade higher draft picks very harshly because I expect more than just an average Joe from picks in the first and 2nd rounds.

If you expect more from higher picks, how can you be satisfied with Joeckel's 1st year?  The majority of his snaps were at RT, and were unimpressive.  The LT snaps were too few to count and really form an opinion.  So where is your consistency?  If you're going to be harsh towards Cyprien, that's fine.  But then you also have to have the same stance on Joeckel.

PFF has always had silly defensive player ratings.  Last year they gave Poz the worst rating of anyone on our defense.  Honestly PFF isn't that reliable.  Especially when it comes to defense.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Cyp started off really, really bad...and finished pretty darn good. Arrow firmly pointed up for him. 
His injury slowed him way down early in the year. Missed most of TC, and was limited early on. I think his play late is an indication that he will be fine, and just had bad timing with an injury. I know it's easier for the naysayers to pile on and declare him trash already. The funny thing is if he were on another team like the Texans, they would be bending over backward to make excuses for him, and tell all of us to watch out for him next year when he is full speed. It's kind of the MO.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I'm really surprised folks still take this site seriously...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:He needs to force more fumbles.

Hell, you can say this for any player on defense.

Quote:They use tv tape to grade players. Their defensive back ratings are a joke.

They don't use the all 22 view?

I think Cyprien had an average to below average year by NFL starting SS standards, but I saw a lot of flashes by him.  I saw enough flash that I'm optimistic about his future.  I think his early struggles were to be expected coming from a small school and being injured to start off the offseason.  By the end of the year he was performing at an adequate level.

Quote:I think Cyprien had an average to below average year by NFL starting SS standards, but I saw a lot of flashes by him.  I saw enough flash that I'm optimistic about his future.  I think his early struggles were to be expected coming from a small school and being injured to start off the offseason.  By the end of the year he was performing at an adequate level.

Pretty much this.

Quote:I think Cyprien had an average to below average year by NFL starting SS standards, but I saw a lot of flashes by him.  I saw enough flash that I'm optimistic about his future.  I think his early struggles were to be expected coming from a small school and being injured to start off the offseason.  By the end of the year he was performing at an adequate level.

Sounds like something that might have been said about Derek Cox that first year, no?

Quote:Sounds like something that might have been said about Derek Cox that first year, no?

Sure.  Are you saying that players with similar 1st years will necessarily have the same careers? 

Cox was a promising player for us for a while.  He just didn't turn out too well in the end.

The fact that Cox didn't become a great corner doesn't mean Cyprien won't. 

Quote:Sounds like something that might have been said about Derek Cox that first year, no?

Yeah.

Also sounds like something that might have been said about Troy Polamalu that first year, no?

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2014, 02:39 PM by Jinjo.)

Quote:They don't use the all 22 view?
No. they have grades up on Monday and All 22 usually isnt released till mid week.

This is why their DB ratings, especially saftey, are basically useless. Theyre not even in the picture half the time.

Their only grades which hold any weight imo are rbs, offensive lineman and front 7 on defense.

Back on topic though Cyp was a force the 2nd half of the season. And the idiots here pointing out stats are dumb. First of all, theyre useless, and even if you think they hold any weight he was the 2nd leading tackler on the team.

We should look to upgrade FS because its the 2nd most important player in Gus' system. But dave said it wasnt a priority so who knows. Evans could still develop.

Quote:They use tv tape to grade players. Their defensive back ratings are a joke.

That sums it up nicely. Anyone who thinks 37 was one of the WORST safeties in the league has no credibility.

Saying he should make more plays? Ok, I'll totally grant that.

Nearly the worst in the league, worse than every team's starter?

Thanks for nailing down the answer to the question of whether they have a shred of credibility

Yay useless stats! 

Cyprien played better at the end of the season compared to the beginning. I'd day he's middle of the pack of starting safeties at the moment. It's only his rookie year..

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Quote:don't just focus on the INT. I dont' expect him to get like 8 or 10, but 3 or 4 for the season would be nice. The FF & QB sack totals should be higher, too, especially FF - with all the opportunities he had this year in tackles made on the RB's since we were usually behind in games. He needs to force more fumbles.
. I actually agree with TMD. Cyp can improve a lot but the potential is there.. Not concerned about lack of sacks but I do think the FF, int, tackle quality will improve going forward. Kid has a lot of potential but is still raw. Evans I think can improve a lot. Gratz on the other hand when healthy made some nice plays.