Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Denard

He has good burst and speed. The hands issue should be relatively easy to fix. But to me he's a tweener: not quite stocky enough to be a constant RB, and not tall enough to be a receiver. Even if his hands are fixed I predict he'll be gone after next season.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

For me, he will never be the primary back.  At this point, I can't see him correcting his issues with ball security and pass blocking to be a 3 down back.  Even if he improves in those two areas, I believe he'd be a change of pace runner. My projected ceiling for Denard is that he can be a capable change of pace guy, however if the primary back went down (who we will draft rounds 2 to 4 next year) then we'd sign a guy off the streets. 

It's very unlikely that Denard would get a start in the NFL, but could command respect in a McCluster role.

Ball security is something that can be fixed over time. That's his main issue as he is still learning a new position from the transition to the NFL.

I don't think he'll be a premier back, but I think it is very possible he could develop into a better version of Dexter McCluster.

D-Rob won't start but play a decent role in the NFL.  I see big improvements out of Shoe Lace during the off season.  He's quick and still has room to improve.

It's too early to judge him, but I think the team needs to be prepared for the possible departure of MJD by drafting a running back in May. 

Robinson is a guy who they'll allow to develop, and they'll continue to try to find ways to get him the ball, but I don't see him as a player who will be in the regular rotation unless he figures out how to secure the football and catch a pass.  There's really no downside to having patience since he's a 5th round guy.  Maybe he figures it out an things start to click, in which case, the team is in a great position.  If he doesn't, it's not a huge negative impact.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:It's too early to judge him, but I think the team needs to be prepared for the possible departure of MJD by drafting a running back in May. 

Robinson is a guy who they'll allow to develop, and they'll continue to try to find ways to get him the ball, but I don't see him as a player who will be in the regular rotation unless he figures out how to secure the football and catch a pass.  There's really no downside to having patience since he's a 5th round guy.  Maybe he figures it out an things start to click, in which case, the team is in a great position.  If he doesn't, it's not a huge negative impact.

I honestly think letting MJD walk in the offseason would be a good thing for a team moving into a different direction. Running back is such an easy spot to draft a guy in a middle round and plug him in.

Quote:I honestly think letting MJD walk in the offseason would be a good thing for a team moving into a different direction. Running back is such an easy spot to draft a guy in a middle round and plug him in.
I'm fine either way with MJD.  The offense won't be built around his skill set if he's retained.  They won't be relying on him to carry the load at this point in his career. 

I do see value in keeping him around if he plays the same role Fred Taylor did for him when he came into the league.  Having his experience, and his ability to still produce would be helpful for this team and the young stable of running backs.

In the end, I think the team has a price tag they're willing to pay Drew, and if another team comes in above that number, they're not going to get into a bidding war for his services. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I just dont see what Todman offers that Drob doesnt (assuming he fixes his fumbling issues). Todman may have better hands, but as a running back he is the definition of "just a guy". Doesnt really have any elusiveness or toughness when running. He is fast and will get what is blocked for him. Thats it. 

I think a Tate/Drob combo would be perfect. They compliment each other well. Tate is also very comfortable with the zone blocking scheme. 

Robinson will be just fine. He's gonna work all through the offseason on being a better RB and I have no doubt we'll see him come back next year much improved.

Quote:Third down, change of pace back. I do think him and Todman are a sufficient combo headed into next year and wouldn't be upset if a RB isn't drafted or signed. 

umm no, Todman and Robinson is more of the 2 and 3 backs or even 3 and 4 backs, no way you want them as your top 2 RBs

Robinson has explosive upside, he just needs to learn the position I think he will get better

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:I just dont see what Todman offers that Drob doesnt (assuming he fixes his fumbling issues). Todman may have better hands, but as a running back he is the definition of "just a guy". Doesnt really have any elusiveness or toughness when running. He is fast and will get what is blocked for him. Thats it. 

I think a Tate/Drob combo would be perfect. They compliment each other well. Tate is also very comfortable with the zone blocking scheme. 
i think he is currently shiftier than robinson and he has a way of finding the gap that robinson doesn't have. He also cuts back very well. The issue is neither are power backs, neither can break tackles and both need that space to run through.

The reasons that todman is currently the better back, regardless of the fumbling issue ,are all things that robinson will get given the time to learn the position but for now I don't see the point of letting either loose. Both are good young backs that could be a nice compliment to a power back.

I'm ambivalent to releasing or keeping mjd depending on the deal and whats available

If we keep mjd that's fine by me provided we still take someone to develop behind him or if we let him go I think we need to pick up two rbs.

I'm not sold on tate, a good back but not the same guy without arian foster in the backfield  but at 25 if he is willing to take a reasonable contract I think he could be a good call. I just worry he will ask for a lot more money than he is worth.

Myself I would rather let him go and pick up tate or redman (redman is a big body and will be available on a small contract on the cheap) and pick up james white with a 6th or even the ravens 5th.

he can do it all and could develop into an every down back whilst it would allow us to use those top 3 picks on the trenches which i think would help our running game far more than a high round rb

Denard won't ever be a featured back, but then again how many teams rely solely on one main RB anymore.  Look at Carolina, New Orleans, New England, Denver, Buffalo, etc. and you see that having a rotation of 2 or 3 guys is the norm nowadays.  I think Denard can and will be part of a three man rotation moving forward (draft pick, Todman, Denard).

My biggest gripe was every time Denard entered the game he got the ball just about.  If I could spot that from the stands I'm sure opposing D coordinators could as well.  It's fairly easy to bust a play when you know exactly where it's going.  Denard handoffs between the tackles can work over time, but Jedd needs to get more creative to get him the ball in space at first to space the D out.  The game Mojo and Todman were both hurt I saw Denard come in and they actually ran a PA pass to I believe Lewis and the entire defense jumped on the play fake.  I wish after the season was pretty much a wash the final few games of the year they could have gotten Denard some more PT.

Quote:I just dont see what Todman offers that Drob doesnt (assuming he fixes his fumbling issues). Todman may have better hands, but as a running back he is the definition of "just a guy". Doesnt really have any elusiveness or toughness when running. He is fast and will get what is blocked for him. Thats it. 

Interesting take.  I see D-Rob as just another guy.  If I'm building a roster, the hyper-athletic project candidates, like Denard, wouldn't be at the running back position necessarily.  I would rather have an athletic guy sit and learn to be a speed wide receiver becoming a better route runner, a defense back learning the system, or situational pass rusher learning technique. 

My point being, a roster spot is a limited commodity.  To develop, at best, a situational player could be used for a more coveted position, like pass rushing DE, stretch receiver, or corner. 

Running backs are fairly common, so just draft a guy in the 2nd to 4th round when you need it.  Even an undrafted guy or late pick (Jennings or Todman) can handle the full load and make change of pace running backs like McCluster or Denard a luxury, rather than a critical unit.

Quote:Denard won't ever be a featured back, but then again how many teams rely solely on one main RB anymore.  Look at Carolina, New Orleans, New England, Denver, Buffalo, etc. and you see that having a rotation of 2 or 3 guys is the norm nowadays.  I think Denard can and will be part of a three man rotation moving forward (draft pick, Todman, Denard).

My biggest gripe was every time Denard entered the game he got the ball just about.  If I could spot that from the stands I'm sure opposing D coordinators could as well.  It's fairly easy to bust a play when you know exactly where it's going.  Denard handoffs between the tackles can work over time, but Jedd needs to get more creative to get him the ball in space at first to space the D out.  The game Mojo and Todman were both hurt I saw Denard come in and they actually ran a PA pass to I believe Lewis and the entire defense jumped on the play fake.  I wish after the season was pretty much a wash the final few games of the year they could have gotten Denard some more PT.

I agree.  However, as I noted before Denard needs to improve his pass protection.  The way it breaks down is, Denard needs to protect the ball to get more carries and to improve his pass protection to see the field more often.  Simple.

If he can somehow manage to do both, then having Denard in the formation on a called pass play will allow for opportunities to expliot defenses with audibles to a run play.  He can do his immense damage in that situation, but hasn't developed the skill set for the opportunity yet.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 01:59 PM by Kotite.)

I am unimpressed with Denard thus far. I get that he is a project, but there's no way I don't grab another RB in FA or in the draft, possibly in the first 3 rounds. I am not comfortable rolling with him as the potential #2. The idea was to get him x amount of touches and he never got there. That is a sign. Would love for him to develop into a playmaker, but the closest he got was a fumble on the 1 yd line.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:But to me he's a tweener: not quite stocky enough to be a constant RB, and not tall enough to be a receiver.

Denard Robinson is 5'10" 199. LeSean McCoy, C.J. Spiller, Chris Johnson and Reggie Bush are all in that neighborhood. I get that there's more to bulk than just weight, and will cede that point, but height isn't an issue. DeSean Jackson is 5'10". Wes Welker is 5'9". Steve Smith is 5'9". Point being, 5'10" is plenty big enough to play wide receiver in the NFL. He's a tweener size-wise, yeah, but 5'10", 199 with a 4.4 forty is not the same as, for example, a DE/DT tweener who stands 6'3" 275 and runs a 5.1.

Quote:I honestly think letting MJD walk in the offseason would be a good thing for a team moving into a different direction. Running back is such an easy spot to draft a guy in a middle round and plug him in.

I think MJD will end up back here. At this point in his career, he probably has more value to the Jaguars than anyone else, and I suspect a week in free agency will make that very clear to him. That said, if someone throws a Steven Jackson deal ($4M/year) at him, I would hope the Jaguars have the good sense not to match it.

Quote:If he can somehow manage to do both, then having Denard in the formation on a called pass play will allow for opportunities to expliot defenses with audibles to a run play.  He can do his immense damage in that situation, but hasn't developed the skill set for the opportunity yet.

I think this is one of the best examples of how Robinson could be a weapon that I've seen here. Start out five wide to spread the defense, then motion Robinson into a RB position and let the defense squirm at the prospect of him running it, taking a pitch, squirting into the flat or even (possibly?) taking a direct snap and throwing it.

Quote:Denard Robinson is 5'10" 199.

NFL says 5'11  -  and Jaguars.com says 6'0"

He'll probably be over 210 by the time OTAs are done.  He looks like he's bulked up some over this season. 

[Image: 15zfsex.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 05:40 PM by Fred Jones-Brunell.)

How many fumbles did he have? I just remember the one against the Bills

3. Not bad over 16 weeks but factor in that he only had around 20 or so carries and yeah..no beuno
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Quote:NFL says 5'11  -  and Jaguars.com says 6'0"

Yeah, I love how no one can agree on player heights. Ourlads has Robinson's combine measurement as 5'10.4", and I tend to go by theirs. Picturing Robinson at 210 is just weird. It'd be cool if he could bulk up to that level and keep his speed, but I'm not convinced that he wouldn't lose something in terms of speed if he got that heavy.

Quote:Would just like to gauge the MBs opinion on him entering the 2014 season and why. 

Well, so far, I'm just not seeing it.  On the other hand, our experience with Branch has taught me that if the coaches see some potential, they will keep him.  

One thing operating in his favor is that he was a draft pick, and GMs are usually reluctant to cut a draft pick.  Usually a GM has a hard time changing his mind about someone he spent a draft pick on.  He saw something in the guy, he drafted him, and he can't believe he was wrong.  That's the way it usually sorts out.